3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: 3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Aug 2012, 10:21

Thanks TFCKMB,
I like that expression. Must remember to reinforce that as a positive affirmation more!!
I couldn't remember, because you kind of lose track of time, but you are what, almost a couple of weeks post op? Is that right and I think Sue is in the middle about 4 weeks post op?? I think we're all 2 weeks apart?? .......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 02 Aug 2012, 10:37

ETO:
Actually, I'm 10 days post-op. I have my 2-week post-op appointment with my CRS on Monday. Hopefully, I'll get two big thumbs up!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Aug 2012, 13:45

I'm glad you got things checked out and are feeling better about everything. I have only had one lot of paracetamol today, got a bit sore this afternoon so stopped and relaxed again and its gone now. I will be 4 weeks post-op on Saturday. Comparing this week to last week, (doing the week to week comparison) things are alot better! May all of us keep healing well. Thisfissure, good luck with your post-op appointment :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Sue27uk » 19 Aug 2012, 03:56

Hi ETO, haven't seen you on here for a while, how are things going? I hope this means you are feeling better! I'm having that familiar razor sharp pain on the right hand side now and have a horrible feeling there is another fissure. Plus pain on the left too. Both bits of pain which still shoot up to my coccyx. Its not long lasting like before, only during a bm and for about 10 minutes after, still a bit disheartening. I must admit I feel like this op hasn't worked. I have my follow-up on 6th September so reserving judgement until then but if I am still having problems I am asking for the LIS. I'm going to have a really good chat to him and ask lots of questions to see what he says, and also see if he can suggest anything for the coccyx pain as it seems to be linked to the fissures.
Anyway good news on my skin complaint. I went to the docs for a check as I stopped the steroid cream entirely. My skin has gone 10 times better, and I only get sore when I walk or sit for long periods. He said he thinks I've done the right thing, to continue moisturising and use sudacrem as a barrier cream. This seems to help! Also changed the loo roll we have and started taking omega 3 supplements. One of these things is helping so I'll keep doing all 3!!! Also decided to go and see a naturopath and try some alternative treatments as medicine seems to have failed in that department! Well all departments at the minute really!! Decided if I can control that condition, I'll concentrate on sorting the fissure first. At least I am more comfy which is something. Anyway hope you are good and still healing well and feeling better :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Aug 2012, 10:51

Hi Sue,
How strange! I was sitting here yesterday typing an update and then lost the whole thing as I pressed a button I shouldn't have! So gave up.......... and then I heard from you!
Great to hear from you and really sorry to hear you have some shooting pains again but fantastic news on the skin front. Hoping very much that's one thing you have less to worry about :) I SO hope it's not another fissure and all the best with your follow-up. Maybe it's still healing??? I had a couple of weeks of some twinging and stinging and started considering a fissure, but it's passed now, so I think it was another part of the whole healing process....I go back to my CRS next Friday (31st) so praying all OK!!...
I agree that you should keep with your strategy of doing what seems to be helping! Great approach because it could be just one element or a combination of the three...as long as it's helping you feel better, that's the most important thing! Generally, things sound OK for you and I really hope the CRS can reassure you with where to go next or even better, will confirm that you are healing and it's just taking a while. Big fingers crossed for you and please update with your outcome!! x
Week 9 coming up for me!! Can you believe it??? and things are SO much better. I've not been on the site so much as it's been a pretty busy last 4 weeks of the Summer hols!! With a 5 year old to sort childcare for, I've been busier than ever sorting my little one out and taking her to family etc...Worse than being back in the school routine!!
Everything for me bum-wise seemed to change about week 7. Suddenly, the pain really reduced to almost 0, any pain I have whilst passing a BM, seems to subside quickly. I do feel like I am now genuinely healing although I'm not 100% there. I still have some discomfort in some BM's (not all the time) but when passing runny stools - not harder ones, which I find a bit strange. I do get the odd strange twinge and mild aching for a while and I had 3 days of intense itching on & off, which drove me a bit potty but things do seem to have accelerated and I feel pretty normal most of the time now. I feel I can plan my life and not plan my life around my bum if that makes sense?!.....
Having to drive for 5 hours at a time up to Scotland has made me realise that I can now do this quite comfortably and use public loos if I really have to (which I hate anyway and avoid at all costs for poops!! ) I can actually sit down on my bottom with no pain now most of the time and driving is pretty much the same and getting in and out of the car is no longer painful (which seemed to affect me the most....)
If I had to live with how I feel at the moment for the rest of my life, I'd be 95% happy!!
I'm hoping the worst my CRS is going to find is a couple of piles, which I've had more trouble with since my op than ever in my life!...and believe they might be part of the cause of some of the mild discomfort, itching and pressure I very ocassionally get, but I will let you know!
I'm still continuing to rigidly stick to healthy eating, lots of water, my olive oil, but I've halved my dose of Lactulose now and that if anything, seems to have helped because it's actually cut my BM's down to 2 instead of 3 a day! and that can only help!! ....I've not taken a pain killer either in 2 weeks. So, I am feeling good and positive at the moment ( and the Sun really helps!!!! Image - Shame the Olympics finished so quickly though!)
Let me know how it all goes with your CRS...it really does sound like you are healing on the whole and try not to get too disheartened until you hear more. It could all be normal stuff still. I remember at the 6 week point for me, I was still feeling a bit concerned because of the different type of pain & discomfort I was feeling, but it did go... Fingers crossed, same for you too......
TFCKMB, If you're reading..............how are you now??????
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 20 Aug 2012, 15:18

Hi ETO:
I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you!
Thanks for asking about me. To be honest, things are going great! I had my 4-week follow-up with my CRS today and he said everything is healing nicely. Bowel movements are a breeze. They are completely effortless and pain free. I can eat pretty much anything I want (I had pizza three nights this week!) without any problems whatsoever. Of course, I still take my beloved Miralax faithfully (a full dose a day), and I am taking a daily fiber supplement (Konsyl). Other than that, life is back to normal. I can't remember the last time I had any blood or leakage. Everything does feel a little "looser" down there, which is nice. My CRS wants me to continue to use Nifedipine for the next several weeks, just to help with the healing. I no longer take daily baths and can sit for any length of time necessary. As I mentioned before, if I didn't know I had surgery, I wouldn't even know I had surgery.
I hope you continue to do well. Please keep us updated on your progress!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owieher » 22 Aug 2012, 12:44

Thanks for the post in the other thread. Glad you are doing well too.
I just wanted to chime in w/ the diet/fiber aspect. It's very important to watch what you eat from a day to day standpoint, but more so, one should carefully watch their intake during the recovery process.
Keep the wound clean, eat lots of GOOD FOOD, not processed food or anything like that. Keep your body hydrated w/ the right things, avoid coffee, caffeine.
Water w/ electrolytes, and coconut water helped me a lot.
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 22 Aug 2012, 17:13

I know everyone is different, but I found that my diet had absolutely no impact on my bowel movements or recovery as long as I took my Miralax and drank lots of water.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 25 Aug 2012, 08:30

Hello both, really glad you're both doing well. I'm ok, improving alot! Almost pain free bms now, even if it does hurt it doesn't last long. Only thing is I appear to not be able to come off the movicol, if I do disastrous consequences so asking my CRS about that. Also getting a few spasms so guessing the botox is wearing off. Will wait and see what the CRS says on the 6th. Still have coccyx pain so intend to ask about that too, kinda concerned I only have 15 mins with him this time! Oh well. Have also arranged to see a dermatologist privately next Friday about my skin problem, found a lady who has a clinical interest in the area. I couldn't even walk round Morrisons yesterday without being sore so decided enough is enough. I rang my doctors and they tried to get me to go and see the doctor, I was quite firm and clear though as I have been to the doctor so many times about this and he isn't solving this problem. Good job as I have had a letter postponing the appointment I made 6 months in advance on the NHS. Its crazy the way the system works in the UK. Maybe the docs wanted to recommend someone, though I just want a second opinion on that problem at the minute. Sorry this is not really stuff for this discussion board!! Overall fissure wise things are looking up! Being positive and pro-active about the other problems aswell so hopefully I'll get there in the end. Keep healing and getting better and let me know how your follow-up goes aswell - fingers crossed you're almost there! Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Aug 2012, 06:06

Hi everyone!
GRRRR! I am so fed up of typing messages and then losing them for some reason, so I'll start again!.......
Firstly so good to hear everyone is doing OK!
TFCKMB - What can I say but keep up whatever you're doing because it sounds like your recovery is going great!! Brilliant and inspiring Image
Owieher - Hope your recovery is going OK and yes, I'm still maintaining a healthy eating pattern because I feel I need to right now :)
Sue - Great to hear you're on the right tracks...can you get an alternative GP for the time being who might have a bit more knowledge on anal issues? It's incredibly frustrating to have to wait when you want to get sorted as soon as possible isn't it?? Pls update on your CRS appointment. You made me laugh when you said you were walking around Morrisons and felt enough is enough!! I've had so many of those supermarket moments too and everytime I go to Aldi, I'm forever comparing how I feel now to how I was feeling the last time I was walking around the store! I remember the active fissure days and pleased to say nothing has been as bad as I was at that stage!!!
I've just cut out my morning dose of Lactulose and substituted with 2/3 prunes for breakfast. Seems to be helping too. I never tried prunes but have read so much on the digestive benefits, so bought some from my local Asda!! Just a thought with you & your Movical situation??
For me these days, I'm pretty sure the fistula issue is resolving. It's like I never had it with all the pre-surgery symptoms gone and the whole area looks good. There's no sign of the "groove" anymore, so happy there.
At the moment, everything has been frustrated by, what I suspect, are a combination of internal & exterior piles!!....I have discomfort when going for a BM, with some soreness & itching after and it's more annoying as I'm thinking will I ever have a completely healthy bottom again!!? - Fissure then absess, followed by Fistula and now some painful piles!! Grrr......
I'm hoping that my CRS will confirm the Fistula is now healed and confirm that it is piles I'm contending with and nothing more now. I'll update after my appointment!
Bought some PrepH yesterday (new to me) but does seem to be helping a lot and whilst I have some soreness, far less itching today. It's hard to ascertain whether it's piles and/ or some soreness from the surgery, but guess I'll find out on Friday.....Wish me luck!!.........
Good luck all with your healing.....We'll get there in the end!!
Ever the Optimist