3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: 3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Postby richibeno » 08 Oct 2012, 13:31

thx eto,how long before this wound starts to heal ,they like it to heal from the bottom up
thx
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Ever the Optimist » 08 Oct 2012, 13:45

Hiya,
Yes, it needs to heal from the inside out, so takes a few weeks depending on the original size etc...Mine took 6-8 weeks to heal superficially and it's no longer visible. Your CRS needs to keep a check to make sure it's healing in the right way and not too quickly. Just keep up the good work and be guided by your nurse. You should be just fine & obviously keep up the good cleaning routine you have - a shower head is great for "cleaning up". The last thing you want or need is an infection!! but sure you'll be fine :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby owieher » 08 Oct 2012, 15:39

yeah.
make sure you have it checked accordingly. the doctors might need to stretch it and not let the surface close too fast.
keep it clean. after bleeding stops. i used soap and shower head to wash the area more frequently especially after bm
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby richibeno » 09 Oct 2012, 04:45

yea at the moment nurse changing packing every day
and after a bm i clean as best i can then jumpmin bath and shower off the rest ,then dryas best then i started to blow dry
thanks owie
eto when did you go back to work ,did you go back before you had healed ,i have been off for 4 weeks now ,from the original op ,and am nearly 5 days post abscess op ect
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Oct 2012, 10:52

Hi Rich,
I had my op on a Weds, took the rest of that week off and the following week too. Was back on Monday the week after and managed OK but I was worn out and could have done with a few more days off! I was definately NOT healed when I went back but felt fine and made sure I had a comfy cushion and got a lot of support from my boss. I have a sitting down job, so it was easier in that respect. I think if you are fortunate enough not to have to work, then getting all the rest you need for a few weeks is great. I think you know when you feel ready although my GP advised I could be back in work the following week - NO WAY!!! :)
I always use a shower head after a BM to clean up - even now and think I always will....I don't even attempt to wipe or dab anymore (unless I'm out somewhere else) because it just gets everything so much cleaner and I feel better knowing, the cleaner I am, the less risk I have (I hope) of something like this happening again.....
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby owieher » 09 Oct 2012, 12:14

I agree on the shower head. I usually wipe until it's clean, but I go more gentle. Then, I'll use the shower head to rinse.
I haven't blown dry, and don't think you should as the heat and wind out put might invite un-necessary bacteria exposure and that type of thing.
Usually my guaze pack does the job. I'm still having some drainings, at the 2 month. I suppose my fistulectomy is taking a lot longer to heal..
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Oct 2012, 12:33

Yeah, also agree with the hairdryer thing. I know it helps a lot of people but I did try it too and found it "dried me out" if that makes sense?!...I don't have the gauze but dry myself as normal, pat dry the area with a towel and place a small piece of toilet roll between my buttocks to drain off any excess moisture. Seems to do the trick. My bum feels best when it's clean and not overly dry!
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Nov 2012, 05:46

UPDATE at 20 weeks POST FISTULOMY.
Yes, just a further update to anyone following this journey still!.......I'm still on the site but happy to be here, offering reassurance to anyone who needs it.
At around 20 weeks post op, I feel I am probably 93 - 95%there.
I had a relatively simple Fistulomy back in June, which appeared to heal pretty well. No longer any of the initial discharge and inflamation going on....
What remains is still some odd soreness and sensations (particularly after a BM but not always) and feelings advising me that the area is still delicate, is possibly still continuing to heal and a reminder to me to remain careful with my diet and fluid intake........
I had to unfortunately cancel my follow up EUA back on the 7th November as I developed a chest infection, was prescribed anti-biotics and was unable to have the GA accompanying the EUA. I'm a bit fed up about this because I wanted them to go in and give, what I was hoping was the final thumbs up, but now I'm going to have to go back on the waiting list (in the UK) and probably wait another 3 months to be seen! Fortunately, my situation is nowhere near as painful and desperate as it was the last time, so I guess I can live with that and hope the area heals further whilst waiting for that appointment.
I'm hoping that it's just scar tissue I'm now living with that becomes aggravated now and again as I've certainly learned this thing doesn't clear up overnight. It takes months for most people to feel completely normal again.
The lesson I've learned strongly from this whole experience is cut out the junk food! get a healthy diet (don't deny yourself treats but don't live your daily life eating them all the time!!) Drink lots of water and respect your bottom!!!
I know my bum so well now that I was able to detect soreness whilst drinking lots of honey and lemon (yes, I "felt" the acidity from the lemon juice expelling!!)....It's an amazing learning curve and experience in some respects but not one I'd wish on anybody.
Never ever strain that bottom! and I changed my toilet habits forever to adopting the "squat"! and using a shower head/ spray to clean up. I don't use tissue and baby wipes only if I'm ever out........All these methods have really helped.
I will remain on the site for a long while I'm sure. Pls feel free to message me with any worries. I'm not an expert but I've been dealing with anal issues for nearly a year now, so always happy to offer support.
All the best fellow sufferers!! We will get there in the end!
Ever the Optimist

Postby Lauren12 » 10 Nov 2012, 07:18

Ever the Optimist wrote:UPDATE at 20 weeks POST FISTULOMY.
The lesson I've learned strongly from this whole experience is cut out the junk food! get a healthy diet (don't deny yourself treats but don't live your daily life eating them all the time!!) Drink lots of water and respect your bottom!!!

Amen to this one! I didn't suffer from a fistula (thankfully) but a fissure. Even now it's cured, I'm never changing my diet back to the things I used to eat. I try to get this point about healthy diet across again and again to other, younger, family members and I'm sure they think, because they haven't had any trouble, that I'm overreacting. Hopefully they will never experience any problems but if I can prevent that from happening by persuading them to change their diet, I think it's worth it. They don't listen though.
Ever the Optimist wrote:UPDATE at 20 weeks POST FISTULOMY.
Never ever strain that bottom! and I changed my toilet habits forever to adopting the "squat"! and using a shower head/ spray to clean up. I don't use tissue and baby wipes only if I'm ever out........All these methods have really helped.

Again, I agree. My bowel habit is usually regular and stool quality good because of good diet these days. On the occasions I can't go however, rather than straining and pushing, I use a glycerin suppository. I was worried that I might become dependent on suppositories if I used them, but my CRS assured me I wouldn't become dependent on them - and so it's proved. I can use one on one day, and revert to a natural bowel habit the following day. It's better by far than straining and pushing. I also use shower head/spray to clean up. I don't ever bring chemicals in contact with the area.
Glad you're doing so well. :)
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Nov 2012, 17:27

Lauren,
Thanks for posting. It's interesting to see what conclusions people come up when resolving their issues and I really appreciate your suggestion on the glycerin suppositry - which may be worth a shot. Generally, my morning BM's are fine other than the one I may have later in the day, which always tends to come out less easily...even though I drink gallons of water and herbal teas, eat lots of fruit etc. I have a tablespoon or two of olive oil the evening before, so think it greatly aids the morning BM but any suggestions how to get that one later in the day a easier to pop out??!....
Like you, I too am a real advocate now of anal health. I'm become a bit obessional now about keeping my daughter's BM's in check, spotting constipation immediately and giving her additional fruit and juice, stopping her as soon as I can see she is straining on the toilet etc etc. I even send her to school with Baby wipes since I don't think she always gets her bottom properly clean (and the teachers don't check! )She's 5 by the way! I can control her diet right now but my partner takes absolutely no notice despite the pain he's seen me endure with my fissure, abscess and fistula!!....
Glad to hear you too are doing so much better. Take care xx
Ever the Optimist