3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: 3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 29 Jul 2012, 22:37

Well, there are two options:
1. Initial visit + EUA + surgery, if needed (3 visits).
2. Initial visit + EUA, with surgery done at the time of EUA, if needed (2 visits).
In scenario #2, you give the surgeon permission to perform surgery at his/her discretion once they have looked around. You won't know until you wake up what, if any, surgery was performed.
I chose scenario #1, as I wanted to discuss everything before my CRS operated.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby owieher » 30 Jul 2012, 01:33

thisfissurecankissmybutt wrote:Well, there are two options:
1. Initial visit + EUA + surgery, if needed (3 visits).
2. Initial visit + EUA, with surgery done at the time of EUA, if needed (2 visits).
In scenario #2, you give the surgeon permission to perform surgery at his/her discretion once they have looked around. You won't know until you wake up what, if any, surgery was performed.
I chose scenario #1, as I wanted to discuss everything before my CRS operated.

I have my first visit on Thursday, but the receptionist didn't tell me anything about whether or not I was gonna be EUA. I'm so nervous.
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 30 Jul 2012, 05:06

If you were going to have an EUA, they would have to tell you because you are not allowed to eat or drink anything for several hours prior to your appointment. In addition, you generally have to use an enema an hour or so before your appointment. Did they tell you to do any of this? If not, my guess is that the doctor is just going to perform a visual exam, and perhaps a digital exam or an exam with a scope, but that's just a guess. Why don't you contact the office and ask, just to make sure? Ask them what you should do to prepare for your appointment.
Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 Aug 2012, 12:17

WEEK 6 POST OP.
Hi everyone, hope you are all having a good day today :D
Well, I would love to be able to turn round and say I feel healed and great... but the reality is, I'm STILL sore on & off!!!
I seemed to have developed a pattern of 3 BM's a day, which are always soft (perhaps a little too soft at times) so no straining or anything, but it's sore and I'm experiencing moderate pain when passing them. (but it's bearable).....The pain lasts a little while and I can feel it all going on down there but probably only on a scale of 1 to 2. The pain feels like when you foolishly strained (in the past!) to have a very large firmer stool that hurts your bottom for a short while after passing it!! Kind of that after soreness and pulsating feeling...Ibruprofen really helps but I don't always feel that I need to take it. I'm 99% certain I don't have an infection. The healing site looks great....the groove is still visible but it's not red raw and looks to be healing OK.... I'm getting a few twinges now and again but nothing consistent so I'm hoping this is healing!! Just a different "stage" of the process. Unfortunately, there's a bit of itching too so no idea if that's related or maybe pile related. I have discovered a couple of additional external hemmies since my op, so fear that this might be causing some itching too. Image
Honestly I never realised my bum was in such a poor condition!!!.........
So, it's a bit disappointing after reading some posters' super-speedy recovery but I'm keeping my chin up and waiting for the day when I really notice a positive change in the healing process and hanging in for my follow-up with my CRS at the end of August...
I guess I may be a slow healer, but I'm still hopeful x x
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 01 Aug 2012, 13:28

Hi ETO:
I am so sorry you are still in pain. I agree - it definitely does not sound like you have an infection, but to be honest, it doesn't sound like what you are experiencing is normal, either. Could the pain be coming from the hemorrhoids? Can you change your appointment so that you can get in to see your doctor sooner? I hope you feel better soon.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 Aug 2012, 14:02

Hi TFCKMB,
Thanks for your kind words. Hope you are continuing to do great on your recovery :)
I honestly don't know what to think....One minute I'm thinking this is OK. It must be normal to be in some discomfort still at 6 weeks. Healing might be a bit slower for me. The CRS' always underestimate recovery time and I've read other posts where it's taken 6 months to start feeling normal after fistula surgery....and then the next minute, I'm thinking but the average recovery time seems to be 6-8 weeks, what if the fistula is not healing properly, what if it's the start of another anal issue, why isn't the pain actually subsiding.....I'm actually quite confused and thinking I may book a GP appointment to get it all checked or call my CRS....
It is possible some of the itchiness and pain could be coming from hemorrhoids but it's also more "generalised" like the whole area is sore, achey, irritated and stinging (but not majorly so.....).......I don't know. Maybe it's just a bad week and then it'll all get better! :)
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 01 Aug 2012, 14:56

Hi ETO:
While I definitely believe there are some doctors that underestimate the recovery time for psychologically strategic reasons (i.e., positive thinking helps reduce post-op pain), your CRS should be able to tell you if what you are feeling at this point in your recovery is normal or not. I hope you can get in to see your doctor ASAP so that you can get some answers. Or even better, I hope you wake up tomorrow and are 100% pain-free!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Aug 2012, 03:17

ETO, I would go and see your GP just to put your mind at rest. When I went to see mine it certainly did that. I still have pain after having a bm but it fades alot faster. It went after about half an hour yesterday. I am not having ibuprofen so much now, just on paracetamol to help with some pain. But I do have to have an ibuprofen if I go out and still can't walk too far without pain. Just relaxing and taking it very easy after that week in work. I have concluded it is just time! Thank you for posting that thread, it kind of put my mind at ease aswell. As for your itching, it could be piles, but it can also be a sign of healing. Like my doctor said, it can take different amounts of time for different people. Remember that is only an average estimate!! I am still nowhere near sorted. I hope you see/speak to someone soon to put your mind at rest Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Aug 2012, 09:59

Thank you Sue & TFCKMB......thanks for being there & your support. It's invaluable. Image
Well, I made an appointment first thing this morning and have just got home after seeing my GP.
He did a pretty thorough probing investigation, which was not all painful and concluded that the Fistula is still continuing to heal well but not yet totally healed. Definately NO infection (which I kind of knew in my heart) and definately a couple of piles present, which will definately be causing some irritation/ itching. He believes that everything happening is still pretty normal and 6 weeks is still "early days" after a Fistula Op. He told me I had no reason for concern at this stage. It's also typical that everything has felt a lot better today than over the last few days!!! Would have been nice to wake up 100% pain-free and I mostly did until I had my first soft BM and then it hurt mildly for a short while after! with on & off not-too-bothersome soreness all day but it's been a good day and no need for pain killers, so yes, Sue, as you say it just takes time I think and a lot of discipline with healthy food and soft BM's in the meantime!! I guess I'm kind of impatient just to be "normal" again! I'm glad I helped your mind at rest Sue and hope this feedback also helps....
Truly hope you are both coping OK with it all & simply healing well - no matter how long it might take... :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 02 Aug 2012, 10:06

ETO:
I'm so glad you were able to get some peace of mind!
Remember, time heals all wounds, even ours!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist