6 months...what to do??

Feedback greatly appreciated...Scientist :)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: 6 months...what to do??

Postby Scientist2516 » 23 Apr 2015, 20:29

By the way, Canada, I read that you are drinking kombucha. That is good stuff! I make my own - so easy to do, and saves a fortune. Do you brew your own?
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Canadabum » 30 Apr 2015, 21:16

Hey fellow fissurites....just wanted to check in and say a quick hello and let you know how i am doing.

I have been pretty good since my last post of about a week ago....still having good days generally and cant tell you how thankful i am for that! That said, in the past few days I have somehow reawakened the Kraken! It is not giving me too much trouble, just gentle reminders that it is still there. I am feeling "something" and some minor discomfort...just wish is it was history already...this takes sooooo long and even with this amount of time certainty is elusive. I keep my fingers crossed that i will continue on this trajectory and these sensations die down. As always, I just wish I knew what the outcome was going to be...timeframe etc...i find the unknown one of the hardest things to deal with.

Scientist -- I do brew Kombucha...just started and am super excited about it. If you have any great flavour ideas or tips i am all ears. I am using a green tea base and after brewing for about a week i add some fruit juice to flavour...so far i have had little luck making mine fizzy...i love it! How long have you been brewing? How old is the scoby you are using....I picked up a well used scoby from a friend.

Best to all,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Canadabum » 19 May 2015, 16:39

So it has been a few weeks since my last post -- i can humbly report that i remain on a good trajectory. While i am now dealing with some other issues including diarrhea and some gas/bloating that plague me...my pain is down to a 0.5 out of 10 and really what i experience is just an annoying awareness that i am not 100%.

I have reintroduced pizza, pretzls, bread and all sorts of stuff that i thought I would never be able to eat again. I want anyone reading this to know that you can actually start to get better...I NEVER believed i would get better when in the thick of it...and I do know I could have a set back or heaven forbid get another one....and I will deal with it as it comes.

I now only apply a tiny bit of diltiazem before bed each night and not 3x a day, I still eat carefully but enjoy the healthy knock on effects of my new eating regimen and I am getting more exercise in the garden and swimming these days.

Best to all the fissure fighters out there.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby msimon » 19 May 2015, 18:26

So glad to hear that things have continued to improve. Hope it continues that way. I just remembered a supplement I take frequently when things get too loose for me...slippery elm bark. You can get it at any health food store. It's a mucilage and soothes the bowel and I think soaks up some of the excess water. Sorry, but it's all I can think of.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Canadabum » 19 May 2015, 18:57

Thanks for the info...I will check it out.
Canadabum

Postby Scientist2516 » 19 May 2015, 21:00

Just saw your updates, Canada. You are doing a great job soldiering on through the ups and downs. It's great that you are getting more exercise. I got really out of shape while my fissure was bad and don't think I've fully got back to my pre-fissure days.

So, kombucha - I got my scoby from a friend, don't know how long she had it nor who she got it from, but it's a sturdy little thing and grows quite well! I don't flavour my kombucha in the bottle any more, though I did experiment with that in the beginning. Now we mix it just before drinking, with things like lemon juice, mint leaves and ginger beer. It gets a bit fizzy if I tighten the bottle caps enough, but I usually don't bother. I might start experimenting with flavouring and making it fizzy; you've inspired me, Canada.

I also make yoghurt, which is a bit trickier than kombucha, but we save so much money making it that it's worth it. I love fermenting things. I'm never happier than when I've got a bowl of bread dough rising, a pan of yoghurt incubating and a jar of kombucha fermenting.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Canadabum » 24 May 2015, 09:14

Ahhhhh......the dreaded setback. I had some blood (small amount) in my bm this morn.....bring out the violins because I am feeling pretty upset by this. Amazing how all the old feelings come rushing back with a vengance!!

Here I was trying to get my stools from seriously soft to a bit firmer...well today was a firmer one and pow.

Thankfully I dont have serious pain right now...but a keen awareness that something is down there...its actually pretty hard to describe...I'm just aware (this is not unique to right now) of something down there.

I hate not knowing how this will all turn out. I've had a pretty good run for the past month...I really hope I can get back to that. I will eat only soft foods, easy foods, perhaps take a bath today and generally pray that this was a blip.

Thanks for listening / reading...had to get this off my chest....just so pissed that it has happened.

Best to all,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby Fissurefrustration » 24 May 2015, 09:46

hey CB, just a shoutout to give you a big virtual hug. we are all accustom to these setbacks however it makes them no easier. I fully relate to that sinking feeling after doing so well!! it's amazing an ulcer in the mouth can heal so quickly even when used so much for eating/drinking etc but 'down there' they just refuse to!! I remember getting a verrucae when I was 17, it made me so depressed and I tried everything to fix and I used to say I'd have anything apart from that bugger at the bottom of my foot but now I'd trade anything to get it back and have a normal bottom!! Lifes so odd. Hope you get back on track soon x
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby chachacha » 24 May 2015, 10:34

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling down today, and I hope that things turn around for you soon.

I often "feel something" down there, but I also know that I have (and will always have) internal hemorrhoids that swell after every bowel movement. Perhaps you do too? It's just a feeling of fullness, because they expand after the movement passes through and then it takes perhaps an hour for them to thin out again. Internal hemmies also bleed (no pain), so again, perhaps this is what is plaguing you too?
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Postby msimon » 24 May 2015, 11:42

I'm so sorry to hear of the bleeding. I know all to well how all the fears and depressive thoughts come flooding back when you think you are on the right track. That is the nature of this beast, as we all know. Keep your chin up. You are doing all the right things and this will likely be a blip that will soon fade as a memory. :hugs:

Just curious why you are trying to firm things up? I always make things loose and while that may burn a bit more, I rarely bleed on that so I have thought that would mean it's less damaging. I guess everyone is different.

Chacha, isn't it funny when us fissure sufferers "hope" for a hemorrhoid! The lesser of two evils I suppose...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here