8 Weeks Post-Op and Still Bleeding

Wondering when the bleeding and pain sitting will stop

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

8 Weeks Post-Op and Still Bleeding

Postby ijustwantmybuttback » 26 Jan 2023, 15:45

I had my LIS eight weeks ago and although my surgeon took a look and said everything looked good (it was about all I could get out of her during the follow-up appointment) AND although the post-op pain has subsided and I'm no longer on painkillers, I'm still experiencing some pain during BMs, the occasional spasm/burning sensation, and fresh, red blood in my stools every few days. It maybe isn't exactly a 1-1 to how I felt pre-op, but I certainly haven't experienced the "a couple weeks later I was my old self!" POV some others have mentioned.

I've done everything to the letter: daily laxatives, high fiber diet, sitz baths multiple times a day, upped water intake, avoidance of prolonged sitting, and even PT, and I feel like this fear of my next BM is just going to be my life forever.

Am I ever going to get relief? What am I doing wrong? Or was I just expecting too much too soon?
ijustwantmybuttback
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: 8 Weeks Post-Op and Still Bleeding

Postby lastCall » 31 Jan 2023, 11:25

Your situation sounds a lot like mine 3 weeks ago. I haven't introduced myself to the forum yet -- plan to do so in a longer post -- but I had my LIS about 11 weeks ago and at 8 weeks my situation was a lot like you described.

I was especially distressed by the bleeding every few days. This agonized me, even though my pain was down, because I so desperately wanted to believe the long ordeal was finally over, and the bleeding seemed to be saying I wasn't really healed.

What I can report is that I'm definitely better at 11 weeks than at 8 -- no bleeding for more than a week, and doing more normal things.

A votre sante...
lastCall

Postby ijustwantmybuttback » 05 Feb 2023, 17:09

Thanks for the hopeful reply, lastCall! It sounds like there’s still hope. Are you pushing during BMs too, or still walking on eggshells in the bathroom?
ijustwantmybuttback
Fibre Addict

Postby Danalope » 06 Feb 2023, 07:49

I’m about 11 weeks post op now & up until a week or so ago was also experiencing a bit of discomfort post BM’s and even the odd bit of blood on wiping. Seems to have improved though over last week following a switch from fragranced to plain/water only sensitive wipes.

I do think some of us are more sensitive post LIS than others, possibly linked to how long you had fissure for, treatments tried previously, age etc.

So may just take a bit more time for you to be discomfort free. Surgeon told me to be careful not to over wipe, he preferred washing down area with sitz bath or shower hose post BM. Also drink plenty to keep poos soft.

All the best.
Danalope
Salt Bather

Postby lastCall » 06 Feb 2023, 10:55

ijustwantmybuttback wrote:Are you pushing during BMs too, or still walking on eggshells in the bathroom?

At 11 weeks post LIS I'm not pushing, and I only have a little dread of going to the bathroom.

About pushing: I really try not to. Besides all the diet/lifestyle stuff you know about, for pooing my PT recommended the "big belly, hard belly" technique (see here https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 0057bb1fea), and it's been working for me.

I have to say the bleeding months after the surgery was a mental challenge for me. From a purely objective viewpoint, my life at 8 weeks post LIS was infinitely better than 8 weeks pre LIS. Pain was like 1/10 of what it was before. I was starting to do normal things and getting my fitness back. So the blood was not painful, but worrying. Was the horror going to return?

One thing that helped me in weeks 8-11 post LIS was getting into a pattern where I took my daily 1-hr bath really early in the morning. I found if I could get the bath in before I defecated, I was less likely to see blood in the feces. Maybe it helped relax any healing tissues? I dunno. But by 11 weeks I found I had no blood in my stool even if the poo happened before the bath.

Now I'm at 12 weeks post LIS. I had to take a plane trip over the weekend, which involved 5 hrs of sitting two times. It wasn't comfortable, but I survived and didn't bleed.

HTH!
lastCall

Postby ijustwantmybuttback » 06 Feb 2023, 15:31

Thanks Danalope and lastCall! This is all so encouraging!

I really try not to. Besides all the diet/lifestyle stuff you know about, for pooing my PT recommended the "big belly, hard belly" technique (see here
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 0057bb1fea), and it's been working for me.

That's super interesting. I've been doing a lot of diaphragmatic breathing with my PT, and I think that must be why. More mindfulness about midsection during BM = less uncontrolled straining in the wrong spots...
ijustwantmybuttback
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 16 Feb 2023, 19:51

I would recommend you buy a bidet. It helps cut down on TP plus you get nice and clean down there. I had a very smooth post-op after the LIS. I was completely back to normal within 3 weeks. There is hope!
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ijustwantmybuttback » 17 Feb 2023, 15:02

Rich44 - I actually already had a bidet (which I loved and used every day!) but I stopped using it after my fissure happened for fear that the pressure from the spray was keeping the wound fresh. Sounds like maybe I should start using it again!
ijustwantmybuttback
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 19 Feb 2023, 20:22

Fear is a huge obstacle in healing. It creates anxiety and stress which creates tension in the anal region and you tighten up. I was a little nervous only one time post surgery - the first BM. After that I never worried again. Unfortunately my memory isn't what it used to be and I can't remember the details post surgery like I used to. I know I was very positive about the entire surgery and recover and that I knew it would work. I changed my gauze once a day for a week and was so excited to be healed in the near future. It couldn't have gone better - so I guess I could be considered lucky. But you know how they say you create your luck? My positive outlook definitely aided in everything working out. Just be optimistic and try to go back to normal habits as best you can.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ijustwantmybuttback » 28 Feb 2023, 11:52

Yeah, my pelvic floor physical therapist has been saying that stress (specifically stress reduction) is a major factor in recovery. Mind over matter!
ijustwantmybuttback
Fibre Addict