A bit earlier than I thought..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: A bit earlier than I thought..

Postby Guest » 16 May 2007, 18:29

Congratulations on getting through it! So glad you are home and it is over!!!! We knew you could do it!
Most critical is to keep things soft. Did they recommend any stool softeners at all? I think that is great you are doing the fiber and water-that will certainly help you too.
I don't know much about the bleeding and when to start bathing so I will have to defer to another boardie but generally, sitz baths are prescribed after most anal or rectal surgeries.
Thanks for taking the time to check in and take it easy!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 May 2007, 18:32

You need to get on the fiber regimen, and hopefully have a BM as soon as possible. Avoid the painkillers -- ask yourself, "Is this pain worse than a fissure spasm?" If it is, use the pain medication. If it is somewhat less, then try lying around, no sitting, occupy your mind with something to get it off the dull ache -- you really NEED rest right now, BTW....
It IS scary to have that first BM but from everything I've seen (and my experience) for most people it is easy and not bad at all. And the sooner you have the first BM (the first day after the surgery) the less the complication.
If you have a liquid BM it is going to probably burn (maybe not!!)
If it does, just hop in that hot bath and it will go away in just a few minues. But It was a slight setback in healing the fissure, so avoid loose BMs, if you can.
No lifting heavy objects 4-6 weeks and no unnecessary bending or squatting. Lie around as much as you can the next couple weeks. And avoid sitting directly on your fissure site, or you may get some added pain. Your anus will feel really weird, like you have a pad or something in there. That part is normal.
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 May 2007, 19:07

Can I shower today or should I wait until tomorrow?

Postby Guest » 16 May 2007, 19:37

I think you can shower today unless your doc. said not to. You will need to wait until you have taken the dressing off . The doc who did my surgery did not put any dressing on ;that i could tell. He did tell me before hand that he would be putting something (dressing wise right at the anus that would come out when I had a BM. I had one within hours of getting home so I never saw any dressing. When you sayyou are having a lot of bleeding , how much is that? I had blood on the pad I was wearing in my drawers for 2or three days, bukt it was not a great deal.
My Doc had me taking sitz baths right away as well. I note that you said you found jthe need to have a bm but weree afraid to do so. If you get the urge to go by all means GO working to refrain from having a BM will cause you a lot of trouble. Please Don't !!
Good Luck and GOD Bless!!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 May 2007, 20:24

You can absolutely shower, just avoid soap down there. Water is fine, but I would only rinse or wash lightly for a day or two down around your arse. The sitz baths should take care of cleanliness down there.
MB is right, at no time in this "process," before or after surgery, do you want to change your fiber/BM regimen." (except as ordered pre-surgery by your CRS).
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 17 May 2007, 17:11

Yeah and I had to purchase some goo gone to get rid of all the marks from the bandages!

Postby Guest » 17 May 2007, 19:02

Haha! :) Yea, that sucks.