A Fissure Friendly Meal!!!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

A Fissure Friendly Meal!!!

Postby BGAN » 26 Apr 2012, 14:30

My sister made me this dish as I am about 1 week post-op and eating a very high fiber diet. This is delicious and contains a lot of high fiber foods. I served it over a bowl of Quinoa. Quinoa is extremely high in fiber. It does not have much taste so it's excellent for mixing. One serving of Quinoa has 11 grams of fiber, that's huge!! It's great alone as a snack or over Quinoa as a filling meal:
Three Bean Salad
1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
1/2 red onion, chopped fine
1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.
3. Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: A Fissure Friendly Meal!!!

Postby Baba » 26 Apr 2012, 22:39

Thanks, that sounds yummy. I always eat a lot of beans for the fibre and because I love them!
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby BGAN » 27 Apr 2012, 14:30

You're welcome! It's great. I am almost out of what my sister made me. I am going to buy more ingredients. With the Quinoa it's such a great and satisfying meal in one bowl!!!! It tastes too good to be as healthy as it is!
Enjoy
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Sana1 » 27 May 2012, 21:37

Since I'm back to work, I was having problems with food. I have to cook separatly for myself and for a family, so sometimes I don't have anything to eat at work. My food choices are pretty limited now and often I have very short lunch break, like 5-10 minutes. In addition, I don't like sweets, so granola bar is not an option. I can't eat meat, chicken, eggs, cheese and as a result I think I am not getting enough proteins...
Recently in Walmart I found something I totally forget about, and it passed my system in a good way:
Ocean's light tuna salad! Ingridiences are tuna, kidney beans, corn, red peper, onion and oil-vinegar dressing. It even has 2gr of fiber. Nice and yammy small meal.
I also liked their Italian tuna salad, but it has less fiber and more carbs, so I added my benefiber. Image
Sana1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby whatwhat » 25 Jun 2012, 16:05

Thanks for the recipe :) Can I ask a stupid question .... what is the equivalent of a cup in say ounces or grams?
x
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Baba » 25 Jun 2012, 17:03

Not a stupid question - the two systems of measurement drive me to distraction sometimes. :D
1cup is 8 fluid oz or 250 ML
So a 15 oz can of beans would be almost 2 cups. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong here - math was never my best subject!
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby whatwhat » 26 Jun 2012, 04:25

Thanks Baba that's really helpful, I have always wonder.
So for example here if I was weighing out the parsley I would chop it up and put it in a measuring jug until it came up to 8 fl oz mark? I wouldn't weigh it in weight? I dont suppose it would actually weigh much would it!? lol
x
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Postby Baba » 26 Jun 2012, 09:51

No this is where it get really confusing - a fluid oz is different than a weight oz. You'd have to weigh it with a scale.
That's why I don't go by recipes very closely - I just use them as a rough guide and throw in what looks/tastes right to me.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby whatwhat » 26 Jun 2012, 10:43

so for example - the parsley in this recipe....
1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
how much is that in weight then?
X
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Postby Baba » 26 Jun 2012, 13:22

You'd have to put the chopped parsley in a cup to get the measure, then transfer it to a scale if you need to know the weight of it. Bear in mind you'd have to weigh the cup by itself first, then subtract that weight from the total to get the actual weight of the parsley. Most supermarkets have scales in the produce dept so if you know the weight you need for the recipe you could just weigh it there and buy the correct amount.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist