Anal Fistula - Post Op Diary (fistulotomy)

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Anal Fistula - Post Op Diary (fistulotomy)

Postby one_guy » 07 Nov 2012, 10:15

Hi All,
Happy to find this form, and I will contribute my story! I have been posting on a pilonidal forum as I was diagnosed with a pilonidal sinus pre-op but that was changed to an anal fistula after incision. I'm lucky to have had a superficial fistula originates in my upper crack and runs about 3cm down to the left of my anus, avoiding the muscle and rectal cavity.
Thanks to Ever the Optimist and thisfissurecankissmybut... you dont know me, but I feel like I know you as I have followed your stories and taken great encouragement from them
I will repost my story below...
Last edited by one_guy on 08 Nov 2012, 10:31, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: spelling
one_guy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Anal Fistula - Post Op Diary (fistulotomy)

Postby one_guy » 07 Nov 2012, 10:16

Day 1
Over the course of a year a small lump to the side of my anus grew and opened into an abscess. It bled and gave pus so I went to my doc. I was initially given antibiotics and sent on my way, but after the third flare up a sinus pilonidal was diagnosed. I found this site (a treasure of information) and did a lot of research, from what I saw and felt I too agreed it was a sinus pilonidal. In addion to the abscess lower and to the side of my anus I found a pit on the center line above. I was referred to hospital and the surgeon too agreed it was a sinus pilonidal. I was scheduled for surgery, and the surgeon was using all the right words boscom, minimal incision, minimal tissue removal, avoid the center line, closed wound.
The operation was yesterday. After incision the surgeon told me the diagnosis was incorrect. It seemed that the tract heading from the small pit in my upper crack down to the abscess near my anus was a surprise to him. He then daignosed an Anal Fistula and performed and excisive surgery. I have been told that a 'boat shaped' piece of flesh about 1cm by 3cm was removed and an open wound was left behind. I have not yet removed the dressing as I was told not to touch it for 24 hours. Its still bleeding a bit, I just noticed a stain right through my dressing underwear and pants.
My after care advice is to leave to wound uncovered and wash 3 times a day and after stools. I have been given paid meds (anti biotics: KEFEXIN and TRIKOZOL, pain meds PARA-TABS and PRONAXEN and local anasetitic gel XYLOCAIN). So far I havent felt a bit of pain and only took one of each pain killer last night. The surgeon did mention that he put in a long lasting anasetitic which should do for 6-8 hours.
I was following the advice on this site to the letter and now that the circumstances have changed I'm wondering if should continue as instructed on here or if the Anal Fistula diagnosis is a game changer. If it is can someone advise me where to find relevant information.
--- and here I am :)
Last edited by one_guy on 12 Nov 2012, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
one_guy
Fibre Addict

Postby one_guy » 07 Nov 2012, 10:18

Day 2
I honestly don't think things could be going any better. Yesterday I removed my dressing and there was just a few drops of blood. I did a clean up and of course I was a bit startled to see the gaping hole left behind. I've been going around bare assed to allow plenty of air get to the wound. I have been washing and sitting in a basin every few hours, just water nothing else. Today I had my first bowel movement (I think my bowels were apprehensive and holding back) very smooth no pain. I haven't had any pain at all and haven't taken any pains meds since yesterday, nor have I used the anasetitic gel. I was told the first 24hrs would be the worst, if true then I am elated as they have been so easy.
So far I'm strongly advocating the advice given on this site. Plenty of exercise and planning in the run up to the operation have left me positive, prepared and relaxed in the early stages of recovery. Zinc and vitamins A, C, E with whey protein and psyllium husk fiber...especially the fiber!!!
Positive thinking... leads to positively knowing you are well on the way to recovery!
Last edited by one_guy on 12 Nov 2012, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
one_guy
Fibre Addict

Postby one_guy » 08 Nov 2012, 10:06

Day 3
Last night my girlfriend had a good look around (brave girl). She describes a U shaped wound with the short straight edge parallel to the crack from the old site of the pit to the abscess and longer U cut around the cheek. The longest distance (from the bottom of the U to the short edge is about 3cm. It looks like the two edges dont exactly fit together and im wondering how this is going to heal. She says there is this white gue accumulating in the wound, healing effect I hope.. and i think white sounds like a good colour!
Yesterday there was quite a bit of some sticky liquid secreted. Not a lot and without blood. I'm assuming its all part of the natual healing process. Since I have been left with an open wound, and given no packing instructions I'm a little unsure how its supposed to heal. The only instruction I was given was to shower it off 3 times per day (I probably do it at least 6 with a couple of sitz baths). The sticky secretion feels like it wants to close the wound but im not sure if I should continue to open it and let it heal from the inside. Also there is quite a bit of hair which looks to be getting into the wound and I'm a bit worried that it might interfere with the healing. Should I shave or is it a bit early? ANY ADVICE on the healing and the hair????
Aside from these worries its going very very well. The only discomfort I have now is in my lower back from lying in all sorts of strange positions to keep pressure off it. I have had no pain at all and I have not taken any pain meds for 2 days. BMs are a dream (psyllium fiber is golden). I put on pants for the first time today, with a ladies santry towel inside for safety, and went for little walk. It was fine although a little uncomfortable. Only a tiny bit of liquid secretion. Now I'm sitting for the first time (maybe 30mins) and no pain at all!
Last edited by one_guy on 12 Nov 2012, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
one_guy
Fibre Addict

Postby richibeno » 08 Nov 2012, 10:49

hi sounds like your doing great,
are you also getting checked by a nurse,if not maybe see one ,once or twice a week ,i had a deep abscess wound which was packed for a month so it heals from the bottom up,its closing now ,but i have to have the fistula op in dec to cut the track out ,your fistula ,was it a low one where the inside opening was only just inside the anus
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Diamond » 08 Nov 2012, 19:33

One_Guy - your gf is definitely a brave girl :) My nurse tried to show my husband how to take the packing out for me - and let's just say it didn't go over well and he literally ran out of the room...at least it was something to laugh at! Image
Regarding the "white goo" this could be wound exudate which is produced as the wound tries to heal (google it). This is sometimes mistaken for infection as well - my surgeon mentioned that it's pretty common to get it in these sorts of wounds (different from other parts of the body). I would just ensure that it doesn't smell funny. My nurse used betadine (iodine solution) which she said helps with exudate. I would speak to your surgeon prior to doing that though, as it can irritate the area. I've also been using huggies wipes to keep the area clean.
I would say don't shave down there - at least not this soon. Shaving may really irritate the area - actually, that's how all my problems started down there (ingrown hair due to shaving)! After surgery, I've used blunt trimming scissors to take care of the hair in the area. It may be better if you gf can trim it for you. The growing hair won't really get into the wound but I feel like it sort of "irritates" it. Be sure to wipe your scissors with alcohol prior to using them in the area!
You sound like you're doing everything right - I'm taking vitamin C and zinc as well. I've also been drinking lots of apple juice which is another source of vitamin C and I find it helps keep me regular. I took stool softeners and a natural laxative (in conjunction with very constipating pain meds!) for the first 2 weeks. Now I'm off the meds, softeners and laxative - so I'm just trying to maintain a healthy diet. Lots of water is important - I was drinking about 10+ glasses a day for the first 2 weeks.
Sounds like your case may not be tooo bad as you're not taking anything for the pain. Happy Healing!
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby one_guy » 12 Nov 2012, 16:36

Hi Rich, thanks for the encouragement! I hope your recovery is also going well, and good luck in the second stage operation. No I've not been seen by a nurse as there is no packing involved in my case. My fistula was superficial and consisted of a pit in my midline perhaps 3cm above my anus which ran downwards and to an abscess 1cm to the right from the anus, the tract was less that 1cm deep. It looks like a strange case as it didn't go to the anus itself. Something between a pilonidal sinus and a fistula.
Diamond, hi and thanks for your contribution. Ha, at least he tried, I'd probably be much more squeamish than my gf. Yea I'm pretty certain your right about the gue, we are keeping a close eye (or nose, eeww!!) on it. After having a look at my post-op instructions from the hospital, mentioning hair in the area as a possible complication, I made the call to shave it up (before I saw your post). I'm very hairy, so I feel much more hygienic now. Your right though, its quite irritated and itchy now! Good advice on the fluids, I really need to try harder with that. It sounds like your are healing well, and a few weeks ahead of me I guess?
one_guy
Fibre Addict

Postby Diamond » 12 Nov 2012, 18:33

Your fistula definitely sounds superficial - very similar to one of mine (I was blessed with two :)). It'll be 4 weeks since my surgery this Wednesday and the opening where the superficial one is almost healed. It initially started off as what looked like a tiny pilonidal cyst. It no longer has any depth - just needs to heal over. It was probably about 1cm deep as well - so keep doing what you're doing and hopefully yours will heal just as quickly! Mine is still bleeding from time to time - very "red" blood, the nurse says there's nothing to worry about. I'm no longer packing it.
I have another opening though which is more serious with a seton going through it - ugh! Well, I'm taking it one day at a time with that one - down to 1.5cm depth from 3.5cm.
The hair definitely irritates - try trimming next time. That's what I've been doing and although it's not as "clean" you'll definitely avoid the irritation.
Hope you're feeling better!
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby richibeno » 12 Nov 2012, 18:37

Wow diamond you are doing great '
Mine is almost there to very superficial'still get sore round the seton drain '
And after a bm g'et a little leakage after which irritates me on the gauz '
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Diamond » 12 Nov 2012, 19:09

Thanks to all the support on here!:) I can truly say this is the one time in my life I've taken it one day at a time - and been ecstatic about my measurements every Monday :roll:
By the way, today was my first day back in the office. I miss living in my pjs but it was nice to have some human interaction again!
I actually get the blood after bms as well - I just wish at least the superficial one will just hurry up and heal so that I'm only dealing with one! I think I feel the seton a little more now as the wound is closing up. Believe it or not, I haven't looked down there yet - I don't really want to until both wounds are shallow. Don't think my heart can take it :)
Richi - you must be counting down to surgery now!
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?