Another flaxseed question

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Another flaxseed question

Postby Jen » 22 Jul 2008, 21:47

I have been using ground flaxseed for months now and it works great to keep me soft and regular. I put 2 tablespoons on my cereal for breakfast every morning.
I was thinking of switching to a flax oil pill or an omega pill. Flaxseed has alot of fat, and I would love to loose 15 pounds. Also, I have some traveling coming up and pills would be easier to take on a trip with me.
Has anyone ever tried both the ground seed and a pill? Does it do the same thing to your BM's???
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Another flaxseed question

Postby val » 23 Jul 2008, 00:49

I always took a teaspoon of flaxoil, morning and night and when I went on holiday I took it in pill form. I didnt think it worked quite as well as the liquid but it was definately better than not taking it. The oil coats the stool making it easier to pass.

I had bad results with ground flaxseed, so wont comment on that!!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 23 Jul 2008, 08:25

I can't really do the flaxseeds because they get stuck in places and cause me pain but the flaxseed oil capsules or oil really make it easier to come out. I think the seeds would add bulk but the oil would add moisture. As far as worrying about losing weight and the fat calories I think you are fine. One capsule has about 15-20 calories and it is a good fat that your body needs. This fat is very good for membranes and skins and will keep your hormones balanced so I would say try it out!

When do you leave?

Postby Jen » 23 Jul 2008, 10:24

Val -What did the ground flaxseed do to you? It has been working great for me so far. I love it!

Lecia - I may attempt to switch to the pill soon. Sometimes it is so scary to change a routine! I leave friday night for Minnesota. I won't be on line for a week or so because my parents are living in the 1980's and do not have cell phones or computers. Wish me luck - it is the first time I am flying with my 18 month old. I hope I am not one of those parents you see on the news that gets kicked off the plane for having an uncontrollable toddler! When do you get to get your girls?
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 23 Jul 2008, 10:32

Hey Jen,
Yeah, changing a routine especially when traveling can be scary. If you don't have to I would keep things the way they are for now.

We'll miss you here! Traveling with a toddler can be a challenge. Is it a direct flight? It is so hard to know what to pack for the plane because you have so much stuff to carry and then the baby to push in the stroller. Do you have a little mini dvd player you could turn on Baby Einstein on repeat for the trip? Will he have his own seat so you have some elbow room? My kids know that I will give in on the plane just to keep then quiet. We usually fly Frontier and they have individual tvs for each seat and my kids look forward to watching Spongebob because they aren't allowed to at home!

I am flying out tomorrow and will be in CO for 2 weeks. Glad you are getting to take a little vacation but I know traveling with a baby doesn't make it seem like one! I'll be thinking of you!

Postby cherylk » 23 Jul 2008, 12:38

Lecia,
Is flying difficult for you with all of that sitting? What time do you leave? We can also pray for a safe trip for you!!
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby val » 23 Jul 2008, 13:10

Jen,

I tried the ground flaxseed on cereal and it gave me really bad cramps until I drunk loads of water with it, and then I ended up in the bathroom all day!!Going more than 5x a day with a fissure is torture!!

Good luck with your flight with your baby! I find it quite stressful travelling in a car for more than an hour with a teenager with ADHD!! Its probably the same!

Good luck with your trip Lecia, I hope its not too painful, and that you can enjoy yourself and have a good rest!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 23 Jul 2008, 13:42

Yes, flying is difficult with sitting. I don't look forward to it but it is a direct flight so that should help. My flight leaves at 3:15 pm EST.

Yeah, Val, I am sure a teen with ADHD is right on the level of two children for sure!

You know, one thing about this whole ordeal is that other than the fear of not getting better I don't have much fear about other things. I used to worry about flying and dying in an airplane crash. Now, I think, well, it wouldn't be too bad. It is very freeing.

Postby cherylk » 23 Jul 2008, 14:23

I hope you have a safe flight. You need to stick around for awhile as you are the mermaid queen and the leader of the mermaids!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 23 Jul 2008, 15:37

Dear Mermaids :mermaidgreen:
Wishing you both well in your travels Image