any success without surgery?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: any success without surgery?

Postby StevePain » 02 Aug 2010, 13:22

I used it for only a few weeks or so and developed a severe itch that I just couldn't ignore, the result being even more damage to my anus, nevertheless I decided to try using it again after the itch had ceased (about a week) this time I used a lesser amount but sadly the terrible itch returned, funny thing is though, my fissure pain was gone, I reckon I'd of healed through use of Diltiazem if not for the allergic reaction.
Best of luck to you dawn and thanks for the well wishes Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 02 Aug 2010, 17:51

Thanks Steve!
I would like to ask how did you apply it? The Pharmacists and the CRS told me just outside. Do you remember how long it took to really work? I still feel quite a bit of pain but much better than the first day I used it. It's been a week now. I hate to think what I would be feeling if I wasn't using it.
Thanks!

Postby Fissulyna » 03 Aug 2010, 00:38

Just wanted to "chirp in" - if Dilitiazem is giving you an itch , you can try Nifedipine ! It worked great for me - Dilitiazem I used only once and burning was horrible that I never used it again.
I used all of my creams outside - all of my doctors told me to use it outside Image .
Try both ways if you can and see which one works better for you ; ) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby StevePain » 03 Aug 2010, 01:01

I was told to massage 2.5cm of the ointment in and around the anus twice daily, like Fissy says, the burning is horrible but I think it depends what the Diltiazem is mixed with, I had two different kinds, one had the consistency of vaseline but the other that caused the itching reaction was like cream
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 03 Aug 2010, 04:57

Dawn,
My Mayo CRS told me to get it in at least 1 cm, which is what I always tried to do. I used an applicator which I had that came with an Anusol Rx tube. The applicator the pharmacy gave me was about 2 inches long with sharp edges. The applicator I always used was rounded, which was much more user friendly for my butt!!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2010, 06:33

Mine is like a vaseline based. I haven't had any problems yet but It has only been a week. I still have quite a bit of pain while going. I'm hoping that ends soon.
Fiss, did you heal using the ointment or did you have surgery?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 03 Aug 2010, 09:30

I'd second Fissy's suggestion to try a different ointment if one isn't working. People react to the various ointments differently. For me, nitroglycerin was the most effective out of all three (it does cause headaches but I got used to those quickly). If one isn't working, it's worth giving another one a go.
Fissy is a brave lady who had LIS twice :) She's an expert and will tell you more I'm sure.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2010, 15:35

NeuropathicGuy,
Thank you. I will try another one if this starts having side effects. I'm really getting discouraged though when I read all the post. It seems most have had to have surgery after using all the ointments and had side effects.
I'm just keeping my faith In God and believing I will be one of the few like Cherylk that heals without surgery!
I've read so many good things about the ointments working but it just seems like they've all had the fissures come back. Image

Postby Philber » 04 Aug 2010, 15:43

Don't be too discouraged. The scientific literature says that 80-90% of acute fissures (not long term) can be healed without surgery, and 40% of chronic fissures (long term) can be healed without surgery.
That means the chances are pretty good that you will not need surgery.
Realize that these forums tend to attract people who need surgery, or end up needing surgery, because those people typically have worse symptoms for much longer and are therefore more likely to seek out resources on the internet. Rest assured that there are lots of people whose fissures heal without the need for surgery.
Stick with conservative treatments and do the best you can. It takes several months for things like stool softeners, fiber and ointments to promote healing of a fissure. If those things don't heal your fissure, and you have to have surgery, then you will be in the best possible position for the surgery.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby StevePain » 04 Aug 2010, 15:55

I can only second what phil said, don't give up just yet, give the Diltiazem more time, you could very easily get on top of this fissure, I only got surgery because it was
my very last option and because my fissure was chronic (I'd had it for 2 years), I.E. I had tried every other thing available with little or no success, saying that though, surgery is a more permanent solution, but please give the conservative treatments more time.
Best of luck.
StevePain
King Fissure