any success without surgery?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: any success without surgery?

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2010, 16:30

Thanks so much for the support! I didn't have any problems for about 4 weeks without using the ointment and I ate some foods that I realize now I shouldn't have. I just wish I had known how long you really need to stay on the diet because I have no problem giving up any foods to stay pain free!
My stool softener and food have been just right until I ate some sharp foods and that changed everything. I'm praying with the ointment, and baths and the menu I had used for 4 weeks prior to this works.

Postby cherylk » 04 Aug 2010, 16:32

Dawn,
I agree with what Phil wrote. Many people heal with conservative measures, and some don't even use an ointment to help. The flyer from Mayos talks only about fiber supplementation (Metamucil) and soaks in the tub (twice daily) to heal an AF. If a person heals from an AF (via ointment or no medical treatment or even LIS), they most likely don't continue to hang around this board. Fiss, Kim, and I are persons that continue to be here even though we don't have problems any longer!! :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2010, 16:51

Thanks CherylK,
I wanted to ask were the doctors supportive of you trying to heal on your own after such a long period of time? I've had mine for 5 months and I feel if I had known more about what to do when it happened, it may have healed earlier, but just trying to figure out what to eat or not eat and what stool softeners to take by trial and error prolonged this and now it's chronic. I am really encouraged by your recovery though and I am going to try my best to do this. I have so much compassion for people with this problem. I heard about it but never knew how painful and serious it really is.

Postby Philber » 04 Aug 2010, 17:00

Yeah, no one knows how bad this problem is if they haven't actually had the problem. Even a lot of the docs don't have a clue. And, of course, it's kind of a taboo subject in polite conversation, so it tends to be poorly understood.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2010, 17:07

That's true. I have talked about my butt more than I ever wanted to. I think my whole family has learned more than they probably wanted to but I have warned them all about eating right, so hopefully they will never go through anything like this.

Postby cherylk » 04 Aug 2010, 17:16

I suggested to my psychiatrist that all medical residents should have to endure an AF in order to better understand the problem. He didn't think my idea was so great. My Mayo doc continued to be supportive of my many calls to him between my annual visits.
But I think the key for me was finding a psychiatrist in my area who is also is certified in internal medicine. We would talk about my Miralax dosage and how the AF was affecting me both mentally and physically. The A/D also helped me in turning my mental attitude around to be more positive. My psychiatrist even responded to e-mails from me between our appointments, and I corresponded daily with another person who used to be on this board. I will say that having an AF completely turned around some relationships I have with others in my life in a more positive way as I now have a lot more compassion for people who are undergoing physical and mental suffering.
Having an AF truly sucks, and I think most docs underestimate how an AF can affect one's quality of life because it is a taboo subject, and many people suffer in silence. May the Cheryl who created this board be forever blessed for the good deed she did that has benefited all of us!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby cherylk » 04 Aug 2010, 19:34

Dawn,
I used to listen to the CD, "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Norman Vincent Peale. You might try that; it's much cheaper than visits to a psychiatrist although I needed more than listening to a CD!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2010, 21:00

Hey Cherylk,
I may try the CD and I agree with the earlier post about the Doctors needing to experience this. I especially think CRS should.
I am surrounded by family and that really helps. They are very supportive. I also am a Christian and rely on my faith. God has seen me through some very hard times and I am going to count on it this time.
I agree with you about this forum and the Cheryl who started it. It is wonderful that there's a way to communicate with others who understand and can support each other. Thank you!

Postby cherylk » 05 Aug 2010, 06:20

Dawn,
If you buy the CD, I would recommend the 4 CD pack, instead of the one CD that summarizes all.
cherylk
VIP

Postby fire-cracker » 05 Aug 2010, 19:24

Ok....I don't want to say that I am "healed" because I really don't know if my AF is healed, but my butt has been feeling really good and I did not have surgery. I used dilt. for approx. 3 months, took as many soaks in the tub as I could everyday for at least 3-4 months, drank a ton of water everyday, ate a ton of fruit everyday, took 3 stool softeners daily, and did alot of praying and positive thinking. I did start to take an anti-depressant for a short time....maybe for 1 month. The only reason I stopped taking it was because...not sure if the AD caused this, but some of the foods that I normally eat started to taste funny to me, but not to anyone else who ate the same foods...and the only thing that I could think of that was different was taking the AD. Since I have stopped taking it...my foods taste normal to me again.
Although I have not had that AF pain for quite some time...I am still drinking alot of water daily...I cut back to taking only 2 stool softeners a day, still eating my fruit...maybe not daily like I should, but several times a week...just to keep things soft and moving nicely.
I am back to eating most of the foods that I ate prior to the AF, but there are some things that I am just not willing to eat yet...like hot/spicy foods, peanuts and a few other things that I can't think of right now. I love spicy foods, but my stomach never has...so right now I just don't want to risk it.....maybe one day.
Like I said though....I don't know if I am "healed", but I know one thing now..that I will always be careful of my diet because I never want to deal with an AF again.
I hope things work out for you without having to have surgery. And...isn't it wonderful that you found this forum?!!! Everyone here is so helpful and understanding. I don't know what I would have done if I never found this forum. Even though my family was pretty good at listening to me, but none of them truly understood and still don't truly understand what an AF does to a person mentally and physically.
Best of luck to you!!! And...stay positive!!!!!!
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Topics: 11