Anyone here regret their LIS?

seems like most are glad they did it

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Anyone here regret their LIS?

Postby sweetpea » 25 Jun 2014, 19:22

since there is "some degree of incontinence" associated with LIS, anywhere from 5 to 30%,.... it seems on this board, the incidence is much less?
anyone?

most people seem pretty glad about having done it.

i originally tore in 2011, healed but never was able to "sit quite right" on hard surfaces, leading my CRS to decree Pelvic floor dysfucntion.

since i recently retore, i am at least openminded about LIS but still pretty scared.

thanks
sweetpea
Salt Bather

Topics: 21

Re: Anyone here regret their LIS?

Postby Jbl22424 » 25 Jun 2014, 21:48

Don't regret it one bit. I had some issues holding it in when I had the stomach flu/major diarrhea but it doesn't worry me one bit. I'm so happy to be pain free and otherwise feel totally normal back there. It was so not the big deal that I had made it out to be in my head.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby CNM » 26 Jun 2014, 07:29

I'm 4 weeks post-op and I haven't experienced any incontinence, though I am still in a bit of pain from the surgery.

Jbl22424, do you mind me asking how long before you were completely healed from surgery? My AF seems to be nearly gone, but the incision from surgery remains...
CNM
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Ray » 26 Jun 2014, 08:46

No at 8 days post op I do not regret it, and have had no incontinence issues. Still taking pain meds, but suspect in time pain will subside as everything heals. Am taking less pain meds than 4 days ago, and try to keep focused on positive results. Before surgery there was no end in sight after 6 months of pain, and discomfort.
Ray
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Roidsfizzman » 26 Jun 2014, 11:11

Hi Sweetpea,
I am 8 weeks post op. I was on the 30% risk for incontinence because of my age at 63 years old. I do have an issue of when I have the urge that I need to find a restroom in a few minutes as it gets very difficult to hold it in. I am still taking MiraLax daily and I hope this gets better once I can decrease the dose and firm up the stools. I have not lost a stool at this time. My recovery has been a slow process. My quality of life has improved after surgery and I would do the surgery again to get rid of the fissure pain.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby sotiredofthis » 28 Jun 2014, 18:41

Tough question for me at this point unfortunately. I'll be 9 weeks post surgery on Monday and still have some fissure pain that makes me unable to sit which was my problem before surgery. My anal pressure was triple the normal rate.

I've had no incontinence though.

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right one for you.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Jbl22424 » 28 Jun 2014, 22:55

CNM, I felt completely healed by my two week follow up. I think I had some residual sensitivity after a Bm for the next 4 weeks or so. But truly, I haven't had pain since a week post op. I feel very lucky.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby aimonaali » 09 Jul 2014, 14:03

Tough one. I had LIS about a year and a half ago and I still have problems. The actual fissure did eventually heal but I still have burning and irritation in the insicion site and basicly all around my anus. I also have the depressing problem of having to wipe again in a half an hour after taking a dumb.

These broplems do make me think if there would have been any other options... But the way I see it is that when I did go to the surgery I really felt that it's the last option. And now I just have to live with the consequences.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby sotiredofthis » 09 Jul 2014, 16:27

aimonaali, I'm having the same burning pain as you and I'm 10 weeks LIS. Have you ever gotten any answers?
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Fellk » 10 Jul 2014, 06:42

It honestly seems like the incontinence rate varies from surgeon to surgeon. Mine said that he has to tell me of the risk but that if you look at the form that you check boxes off it considers you to be essentially incontinent if you don't have 100% control of passing gas. He said outside of that he's never had a case of someone not having control. He also mentioned that you can be somewhat conservative in how much you divide.
Fellk
Salt Bather

Topics: 3