Anyone make their own kefir?

Do you suffer from Crohn's/Colitis or IBS. If you are looking for info on how to deal with an anal fissure with these ailments, or just wanting to share your experiences, then this is the place.

Return to Crohn's/Colitis & IBS

Anyone make their own kefir?

Postby Savaici » 25 Feb 2014, 12:29

Have used store-bought flavoured kefir, but cannot get the plain one in the wilderness (shop wise) in which I live. It has all (I think) the best "bugs" in it for the gut.

So, am going to order the best grains I can find for making kefir, and have a go at it.

Would be interested to hear how it has worked for others.
:thankyou:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Anyone make their own kefir?

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Feb 2014, 15:50

Savaici, I just started making kefir about 4 weeks ago! I ordered my grains from Amazon, and they arrived in great condition. I was making kefir right away. I've already given some to a friend, they grew so quickly.

I got Fresh Organic Milk Kefir Grains & Ebook: "Milk Kefir Unleashed" By Thomas Egbert, sold
by Fusion Teas
Kefir is really really easy. Just add milk (straight from the fridge is fine) to kefir grains in a glass jar, cover with a cloth, let sit at room temperature. When the milk is fermented enough, pour the kefir into a container, through a sieve. Push the clotted milk through the sieve with a wooden or silicone spoon. The grains are tough, and will stay in the sieve. Wash your fermentation jar, put the grains back in, add more milk.
Drink the kefir right away, or put in the fridge. You can pour it over granola, use it to make smoothies, add a flavour, eg orange juice, and drink.......I also use mine to make a sourdough starter for bread, and I've even made two batches of cream cheese with it.

The hard part is deciding how long to let the milk ferment. Too long and it becomes unpalatable. And the length of time depends on how warm your kitchen is, how many grains, how much milk and so on, so you'll have to experiment for a while.
I find about 12 hours is good for about 2 cups of milk and about 1 tablespoon of kefir grains.

I would offer to send you some grains, but I've got two friends waiting for mine to grow big again, so it would be a few weeks.

Let me know if you have any new ideas for how to use kefir!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16