Are there any men with Levator Ani Syndrome?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Are there any men with Levator Ani Syndrome?

Postby kamard2300 » 03 Aug 2023, 15:38

Yes indeed you are one of the Lucky ones but I believe it is your attitude that helped you
Yoy ddint feel your life was over you didnt stress over it and you let your muscles heal
Im stressing very much and I try to keep calm just the thoufht that i may never be normal makes me depressed
kamard2300
Salt Bather

Postby kamard2300 » 03 Aug 2023, 16:12

Thank you very much

Were your symtoms also constant 24/7?
I need to be strong as you
Im just à little girl this is too much for me
Anxiety about my symtoms makes them stick I need to break the andiety toward symptoms
kamard2300
Salt Bather

Postby Rich44 » 03 Aug 2023, 19:14

kamard2300 wrote:Thank you very much

Were your symtoms also constant 24/7?
I need to be strong as you
Im just à little girl this is too much for me
Anxiety about my symtoms makes them stick I need to break the andiety toward symptoms
Oh I thought you were a guy! This thread was about men with this issue.

Ok...

My symptoms at their worst were only after I went to the bathroom and went to stand up. That was when the muscles locked up. I would sit on it at work to make it go away but I learned how to stop the spasm by sticking my finger in the muscle and pushing hard while I was standing. I didn't stick my finger inside my anus, just into the muscle near it. I got used to that routine. Once I diffused the spasm, the pain was very mild (remember the fissure was the big pain the butt!). So the pain from it was only severe for less than a minute and mostly tolerable after I ended the spasm. It was very frustrating that it felt like I was sitting on a golf ball all the time.

Back in World War II they built the Alaska Highway. It was a tough job to do in remote Canada and Alaska and it was VERY cold most of the year. They hired some native Eskimos along with Americans and Canadians. Everyone assumed the Eskimos didn't complain because it was in their genes to tolerate the cold better. That was not true at all. The difference was the Eskimos expected to be cold and dealt with it. I expected pain with the spasms and fissure and I adjusted to accept it. It worked. I never loved it but I managed ok most of the time. There are all sorts of books and videos on pain management. A lot of it is mental. But at the same time, you need to keep finding out how to break this cycle. So like I said, see more doctors, see therapists, get books, everything you can think of. But I bet the anxiety is part of it.

As to you being a little girl - stop putting yourself down. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. You need to stop using that "I'm just a weak little girl." I know plenty of little girls who are strong and plenty of tall girls who are weak! Yes, you need to be strong and I am no stronger than you are. You are sounding like your own worst enemy. Believe in yourself. You WILL get past this!
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of April 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby kamard2300 » 03 Aug 2023, 19:32

Thank you so much I cry reading yoyr message
I read a headache in the pelvis book and I even talked with the doctor who wrote the book
As anxious person with pelvic pain, anxiety makes more tension in my pelvis so I totally understand why your strategy worked. You disnt pannick about the symptoms. I do panic and last year was so tense couldnt even put my shoulders down. The doctor says as you act confident that all things shall pass and donc pannick, you dont knot your muscles and you give your pelvis the time without clenching that was necessary for the healing

Indeed I sound like my worst ennemy. Its the anxiety I feel that paralizes me in pain . And I know break this anxiety is essential to break the cycle. I started getting 25mg amytriptiline anti depressant I really hope it Will help me
kamard2300
Salt Bather

Postby GrrrAF » 03 Aug 2023, 20:57

Dear kamard2300

I get anxiety episodes also induced by stress and that is how I ended up with 2 fissures within ~ a 2 yr period that were diagnosed late, long after healing and resulted in scar tissue. The good news is you have youth on your side as it is harder to break a bad habit if you old like me and also wound healing is slower older you are! You can heal but you must get into better mental state as suggested; connect the mind and body and do the daily work of relaxing the anal muscles; it will take some time and patience. Levator Ani Syndrome & hypertonic pelvic floor is what I was originally diagnosed with way before the fissures! My Dr. was able to feel the tight muscles during a DRE and gave me no meds but only recommended pelvic floor physiotherapy. I didn't go to physio until 1.5 yrs later when I was in worse shape; wished I went sooner as think there is wee bit of irreversible damage now leaving tight muscles for so long.

I will likely be doing preventative care rest of my life because I have an anxious mind and I don't want to relive the anal pain ever again so I am committed to physio self-therapy.
GrrrAF
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 03 Aug 2023, 21:08

kamard2300 wrote:Thank you so much I cry reading yoyr message
I read a headache in the pelvis book and I even talked with the doctor who wrote the book
As anxious person with pelvic pain, anxiety makes more tension in my pelvis so I totally understand why your strategy worked. You disnt pannick about the symptoms. I do panic and last year was so tense couldnt even put my shoulders down. The doctor says as you act confident that all things shall pass and donc pannick, you dont knot your muscles and you give your pelvis the time without clenching that was necessary for the healing

Indeed I sound like my worst ennemy. Its the anxiety I feel that paralizes me in pain . And I know break this anxiety is essential to break the cycle. I started getting 25mg amytriptiline anti depressant I really hope it Will help me
You are very welcome. Why not try this? What would you say to yourself if you were on the outside looking in? What if you had a daughter who needed your help with this? What would you say to her? Tell that to yourself. Be your own mother to yourself. Listen to your conscience.

Remember it's only pain. I say that because it's treatable and curable. My dad had an incurable disease. He would have gladly traded places with you. He told his brother after his brother had open heart surgery that it was ok, it was only pain and it would get better. That gave my uncle so much strength. This is a mental thing. You can figure this out. Embrace the positive power!
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby kamard2300 » 04 Aug 2023, 09:59

Rich,
Whay did you do in those months thay may have helped ?
Are you sportive ? Swimming maybe ?
You always stayed calm ?
THANK YOU
kamard2300
Salt Bather

Postby Rich44 » 07 Aug 2023, 22:36

kamard2300 wrote:Rich,
Whay did you do in those months thay may have helped ?
Are you sportive ? Swimming maybe ?
You always stayed calm ?
THANK YOU
Hi, I learned to live with it. I didn't need to stay calm or relaxed. I simply accepted that I would have pain or discomfort. I knew it would probably be very painful when I stood up from the toilet, but then I released the spasm with my finger and it went from pain around a 7 or 8 to maybe 3 after that. I could live with mild or moderate pain because it's SO much better than severe pain! I was not very active back then and I was overweight. Ironically now I am pretty active and at a normal weight, go figure. Like I said it was my job that was the cause of it. I left the job and the spasm issue went away.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby kamard2300 » 08 Aug 2023, 10:25

Well looks like evryone in this conversation got completely cured so it gives me hope (rich44, SSK and GRRRAF)

Thank you
kamard2300
Salt Bather