aren't skin tags from anal fissures?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

aren't skin tags from anal fissures?

Postby Guest » 17 Dec 2007, 09:53

I'm so confused! As you know, I went Friday and the CRS said I didn't have fissures, but ulcers and they looked like they were healing. I went on Benefiber instead of Metamucil because of the tummy troubles. Big mistake! I didn't go to the bathroom from Friday morning till late last night. It was definitely not bulky and soft. Just a couple of little ones. And it bled again and stung. I was taking a sitz bath afterwards and felt down there and there is a new lump where I think one of the tears is. It's in the midline right at the edge of the anus towards the vagina. Isn't that a sentinel pile or skin tag? I thought you could only get those with a fissure.
I called the CRS's nurse to ask what it could be. I told her I come in on Jan. 8th for a follow up, but wasn't sure if this needed to be seen sooner. She didn't know and said I could make an appt. if it concerned me. Problem is I don't know if it should concern me. It doesn't hurt except going to the bathroom and it bleeds. Sometimes it's a little sting and sometimes it's really sharp. I used the nitro cream last night at bedtime because she said to after a stinging BM.
Well, I made an appt. for the day after Christmas and can always cancel it if this goes away. Does it sound like a sentinel pile to you? From everything I've read that's a complication of a fissure. So, now I'm really confused.

Re: aren't skin tags from anal fissures?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Dec 2007, 09:56

You can get a skin tag from any "ailment" or trauma near that area. A fissure, a hemorrhoid, are among other things that can traumatize that spot. It doesn't have to be just a fissure.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 17 Dec 2007, 10:04

Yes, and hemorrhoids can kind of feel like skin tags. It is hard to know what it is but if it hurts then it should be seen about.

I am going to the doctor today to see about a "skintag" or swelling or whatever it is. It can get irritated and hurt just like anything else. But if it is just a floppy piece of skin and you make sure to keep it clean it should be fine.

Postby Guest » 17 Dec 2007, 10:27

Thanks, Kim and Lecia. When I was researching anal fissures, I read about sentinel piles. Of course, the info you read on the net alot of times is worst case. And everything I read was talking about surgery for it. And all the complications if you have them.
I can't seem to get the search function to work on the board. I put in a search term and nothing comes back, so I'm sure all the questions I ask have been answered before, but I just can't find them. Sorry about that!
I hope your appt. goes well, Lecia. I'll be interested to hear what the doctor says about yours.
I'm sure this has been answered before, but which kind of doctor is better, a CRS or a gastroenterologist? I went to a gastro doctor 4 years ago for a colonoscopy and endoscopy because of anemia. Do they take care of anal problems or is that something specifically for a CRS? I probably need to see a gastro for the tummy troubles and would love to get a 2nd opinion on what's going on with my rear end. Plus, a gastro would maybe be more understanding on what I can and cannot tolerate when it comes to a high fiber diet. But, of course, too many doctors can give conflicting information and I sure don't need to get more confused! Image

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Dec 2007, 11:03

These "search engines" on messages boards aren't worth a hooey!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 17 Dec 2007, 11:27

I would recommend a CRS. But it wouldn't hurt to ask your gastro if you are going to see him about your tummy troubles.