Bleeding after LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Bleeding after LIS?

Postby tigerbutt2 » 19 Apr 2015, 12:06

I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced bleeding after seeming to be fine for a few weeks after LIS? I had mine just over 5 weeks ago. Barring a brief setback during the first week (antibiotics gave me diarrhea unfortunately) I have been doing surprisingly well since my LIS. I had my post-op checkup about 2 weeks ago and he said everything looked good then. He did say that it would be normal to have occasional soreness for a total of about 8 weeks after the surgery but I haven't had too much of that unless I've been sitting for a number of hours. HOWEVER, unfortunately this morning something seems to have happened. I had my usual BM after breakfast. It was a bit loose and (TMI alert) smelled kind of funky to me (I did eat some junk food yesterday, maybe that's it?) but not diarrhea and very easy to pass, no hardness, etc. I am still on Miralax, etc. It didn't hurt upon exiting and I didn't notice any blood right then.

However, I did notice within the next few minutes after my shower that it felt a little irritated, almost chaffed. I didn't really think much of it, and went about my business. I drove about 5 minutes to go do some work at a coffee shop, and walked about 7 minutes from the parking lot to the shop, and used the restroom (just #1) before sitting down. I just happened to dab a little back there, and was shocked to see blood. Not really heavy, but more than just faint too. I'm going to call my CRS first thing in the morning tomorrow, but in the mean time I'm trying to not panic. It seems different than my fissure ever did, at least so far (we'll see what happens with my 2nd BM later today I guess). Could this be some kind of hemorrhoid? I am just so dismayed to see blood down there. I just want to go back to sitting as needed without thinking about it (I'm a grad student and then next 2-3 weeks are "hell weeks"), running, etc. like a normal personal already. :cry:
tigerbutt2
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Bleeding after LIS?

Postby msimon » 19 Apr 2015, 13:57

Tigerbutt, try not to be afraid and rest assured this is completely normal for 5 weeks post op. The thing is that even if you were 'healed' that new tissue us still very weak and will be for a number of months. Many on here have said even up to a year until the tissue is almost back to normal. It could have just been friction from walking, etc. I don't think you are doing anything wrong and having had the LIS it should heal right up again. Of course it could even be a hemmie. But either way I am sure it will resolve quickly.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: Bleeding after LIS?

Postby tigerbutt2 » 19 Apr 2015, 15:50

Thank you so much for your reassuring reply msimon :) I think I went into a bit of premature panic this morning, and I'm feeling a little better about it now. My second BM today was painless with only a teensy trace of burning after, so perhaps it was just some superficial irritation; I did quite a lot of sitting yesterday. It occurs to me that it's also just about that time of month (oh joy >.<) so I suppose it's not entirely surprising for things to generally be more sensitive down there.
tigerbutt2
Salt Bather

Topics: 2