Botox Update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Botox Update

Postby Guest » 21 Oct 2007, 11:43

Hi all,
So I had the botox procedure done on Thursday. The procedure is quite simple. From start to finish it took about 15-20 minutes. The needles are a bit painful but its nothing compared to the pain we all have felt and/or are feeling. The area was sore the rest of Thursday and a good part of Friday. The botox seemed to kick in immediately. I'm feeling much looser. Strange because everyone said it takes about a week to kick in.
Friday's BM went well. No pain. Unfortunately my BMs on both Saturday and Sunday were hard tipped and caused quite a bit of pain but no blood. Pain like I hadn't felt in weeks. Very discouraging considering I'm doing everything exactly like before. The bright side is that the pain didn't last very long and there were no spasms at all. I know that if this had happened before the botox I'd be in tears from the pain and spasms that could last a good portion of the day.
I'll do my best to keep you guys updated on how thing go. Hopefully my experience might serve of help to others on the forum.
Thank you all for all your help.

Re: Botox Update

Postby happyass » 21 Oct 2007, 16:00

those damn hard tipped poos!!!!!
did you have any pain medication or localized anesthetics to prepare for the botox shots or were they simply administered without any help whatsoever?
if you did have any medications for pain help, perhaps that gave you hard tipped poos?
you're such a great trooper bum! :-)
i hope you are having a much better poo day today!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 21 Oct 2007, 16:19

Hello,
Sorry to hear about your pain but give the Botox a few days to kick in I am waiting to get my second shot. I can tell it is wearing off. Stick to your routine and maybe your hard tip poos will be better soon. I am so sorry you are having pain. Hit the tub!
Patty

Postby Guest » 21 Oct 2007, 17:39

That is wonderful news that you got through the botox and are noticing less pain even when faced with our nemesis- the dreaded hard tip poos.
Maybe add a little extra flax seed oil or fish oil to your diet and that can help it slide out better.
Keep us up to date on your progress!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 21 Oct 2007, 18:33

Yes, keep up the regimen and do whatever it takes to get those stools soft.
I'm happy to hear you made it thourgh the procedure, and even though I have never had it, if I recall it takes a day or two for it to really set it.
But you didn't have the spasms so it seems like it is already kicking in quite well for you. Just understand you still have the fissure, but now the blood will be flowing far more freely to it and it should really begin to heal!
Good luck!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 22 Oct 2007, 08:28

Thank you all for the support.
I did have a localized anesthetics but no pain meds. Not sure if the local can effect ones digestive system.
Good news is, so far so good today. This mornings BM went pretty smooth. Seems like the MOM kicked in. By the way does anyone know how long I can take MOM without causing any serious dependency issues?
I feel looser and I am having no spasm but curiously I feel the the fissure (the wound) itself much more than ever. Has that been anyone else's experience?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 22 Oct 2007, 09:15

Image Image Image Image
Glad you are doing better!
Image Image
I have read of people taking MOM for extended periods, everyday, and not having dependency issues. I think it is safe to use everyday, but I cannot say that everyone would be the same.
It may just be a coincidence that your fissure wants to flare up some right after the Botox.
Or the absence of the spasms has made you moew aware of the discomfort from the fissure??
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 22 Oct 2007, 09:34

I found that even after little retears, I feel the cut. Perhaps you feel the cut more than ever because you are not distracted by the sphincter cramp and pressure?

I'm not sure how long you can take MOM for. I've been on it on and off since March. Whenever I have a setback it seems like the only thing that wil keep my poos soft enough so that I start healing again.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 27 Oct 2007, 14:18

Hi guys,
Its now been a little over a week since the procedure. Everything was going well until this morning. Had one of the dreaded hard tip BM. A little bit of pain and blood. I hadn't bleed in 3 weeks. And I've been uncomfortable all day. Has anyone else, who has had Botox, experience this?
Feeling very discouraged. God I need this to end.

Postby Guest » 27 Oct 2007, 17:27

I know it can be discouraging but it is very normal to have some bad days after botox. The botox does not heal the fissure so you will still have to deal with that for 6-8 weeks.
Please concentrate on what you can do to keep you stool soft like if necessary take a swig of MOM or some Miralax.
Also essential fatty acids (oils) can help things slide out. You need to continue to act like you have a fissure because you do. But you are better and don't forget that. Your bad days now are like some of your good days before.