Calcium and constipation?

Wondering if calcium can indirectly cause fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Calcium and constipation?

Postby summerseason » 04 May 2021, 09:43

Hi, I had surgery for hyperparathyroidism in May 2019 and was put on 600mg calcium supplements to help rebuild bone that I had lost. In Nov 2019 I developed an anal fissure on the right side, which was brutal for a few months until I learned to relax when was about to poop, plus lots of sitz baths and lidocaine nifidipene cream. I'll think I'm healed for a couple of weeks or months but then a tough poop sets me back again (even just sleeping in for a couple extra hours seems to mess me up sometimes).

What i wanted to ask is if the calcium I'm taking could be part of the issue and is there a specific type of calcium that might be less like to cause constipation? I currently take calcium citrate morning and evening along with magnesium glycinate and vit D. I try to take docusate sodium (colace) everyday too.

Thanks in advance.
summerseason
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Calcium and constipation?

Postby Vishal » 05 May 2021, 10:06

Definitely!! Calcium has been associated with constipation and you should talk to your doctor about options you can try to mitigate it. Was going to recommend you using a magnesium supplement but I see you are already doing that. The only other thing I can suggest is maybe you can use another type of magnesium supplement like citrate to loosen things up.
Vishal
Salt Bather

Topics: 2