Chemo and anal fissue

chemo

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Chemo and anal fissue

Postby dallasgirl1 » 18 Mar 2015, 10:42

Hi All,

45 year old here who developed a fissure due to constipation caused by anti nausea drugs I take for chemo. So I'm in the middle of chemotherapy and have this which means my body can't heal normally.

Also - I had rectal cancer so I've recently had surgery just above the sphincter. I had an ostomy bag for 9 months while that healed and had that reversed in December to restore normal(ish) function. Bowel movements after the surgery I had are 20 to 30 times a day and improve gradually over time. Had to restart chemo in February.

So my perfect storm is this awful, relentless pain while having to poop 20+ times per day and on chemo that does not allow me to heal. Oh and did I mention that I continue to work full time??? Thank God I can work from home as much as I want due to the nature of my job. Let me tell you, folks, chemo is a cake walk compared to this fissure. I had a 10.5lb baby with no epidural so I KNOW what level 10 pain is and this is and 8 or 9 much of the time.

Starting to consider the Botox to see if I can get some relief with that. Everything else I'm doing is NOT working. I'll think it is and then things get bad all over again. I'm emotionally and mentally SPENT! Anybody had good luck with Botox?

Hugs and sympathy to all dealing with this!
dallasgirl1

Topics: 2

Re: Chemo and anal fissue

Postby jlm1 » 18 Mar 2015, 14:34

Wow, you are amazing for dealing with all of this!! You are a very strong person. I agree that childbirth is nothing compared to fissure pain. I can't imagine going through chemo. I will be sending you healing energy.
I had botox in July and it worked to heal my fissure. As you probably know, it simulates LIS and relaxes the area helping it ti heal. Why not give it a go? At the very least you will have relief for a while. My CRS said that botox lasts about a year. I don't know if that is dependent on amount injected or what. I've heard others say it lasts a few months. I can only go by what my doctor has told me. Alos, I have found relief with valium suppositories and regular ones too. Maybe you can try that?
Good luck to you and please keep us posted. I do hope you get some relief very soon.
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby dallasgirl1 » 20 Mar 2015, 14:55

Thank you, JLM1

I actually decided to go for it. Pain got so bad I went to ER. My surgical oncologist worked me into his schedule yesterday for the Botox. He said my fissure is quite large. :( I hurt incredibly last night after the procedure and still today but hoping it will all start to improve over the next day or two. Staying in the hospital again tonight to try to keep the pain under control. Doc said since it was so large I may need a 2nd shot to get total relief. We're going to just watch it over the next 2 weeks and see how I feel.

Have a great weekend!
dallasgirl1

Topics: 2

Postby jlm1 » 20 Mar 2015, 16:13

Wishing you relief!! I think the botox will help. Fingers crossed :)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22