cleanliness after fissurectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: cleanliness after fissurectomy

Postby juney » 12 Sep 2008, 10:00

val no offense taken, i know by now that you speak your mind openly at all costs. i definitely take what everyone says into consideration and i honestly appreciate the advice. i'll be talking to my surgeon in depth about all this at my follow up. until then i'm just gonna do what keeps me comfortable, which includes LOTS of hot baths. thanks for your input dear val.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby val » 12 Sep 2008, 11:40

Image glad you haven't taken offense- I never mean anything in a horrible way, I just tell the truth as I see it! And I have spoken to enough idiot doctors in my time to know that they dont always know what they are talking about. If I had listened to the GP i saw when i first had the fistula instead of taking on board what was said on here, I would probably still have it now- or be in a very bad way!

And Pinky is a doctor and even she says soap is a no-no!

Hope you feel better soon
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 12 Sep 2008, 11:52

I was told to just rinse off either with a shower head or with a bottle filled with saline.  I had to pack mine though so we would rinse with saline and then put the packing in.  My hubby put a little antibiotic ointment on the packing though we weren't instructed to.

Postby Corsi » 13 Sep 2008, 01:56

val wrote: And I have spoken to enough idiot doctors in my time to know that they dont always know what they are talking about. If I had listened to the GP i saw when i first had the fistula instead of taking on board what was said on here, I would probably still have it now- or be in a very bad way!

So many Image Image doctors, and a few who are really good and caring. It is so important to get a good one. I think that the younger doctors are best, they look at you and take you more seriously. The older generation very often Image
No (normal) soap & and no toilet paper is my advice too...
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Deleted User 5 » 13 Sep 2008, 07:13

I guess everyone has had different experiences. I know of a few older doctors who are quite caring, and have had experience with younger doctors who were clueless, like the one who let my appendix rupture and sent me home not knowing what was wrong.
It took a more experienced Dr. the next day less than a minute to properly diagnose me. I'd say middle-aged or slightly younger Docs are at the top of their game, if they are at all. But some older ones can be very caring. Just my .45 cents worth.
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 13 Sep 2008, 08:14

yeah, thats right, we can only base things on our own personal experience, and personally I have had a LOT of misdiagnosis from doctors young, old, middle aged and very old! I could actually write a book of it there have been so many over the years! I thought it was just me and mine being very unlucky at first, now I know of so many people being told a load of rubbish that I just listen to what the doctor says but make my own decision from it - well, with a little help from my friends that is!!
But I know of tragic stories where someone has died through a wrong diagnosis - my mum's neighbour is one, and I think we should all just be aware that doctors, even consultants can be wrong.
Even as recently as back in June, I had 2 top consultants, who worked privately as well as NHS, meaning they are top in their field, give me two very conflicting stories on my condition (not AF related) and two total opposite outcomes.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby pinky » 13 Sep 2008, 16:07

Juney,its best to discuss with ur doctor in detail to see if he has a reason for telling you to use soap.i think soap is very harsh on the wound.how do u feel now?hope this works for u.its so sad to know u had lis twice.keep us posted on ur recovery
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Jen » 13 Sep 2008, 19:48

I think Lecia is onto a great idea. Before a BM, take a squeez/sqirt bottle full of warm water in the bathroom with you - It might help!
I hope your weekend is going smoothly!
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2008, 20:32

I got the idea from when I was in the hospital after havin a baby.  The nurse gave me a peri-bottle to squirt down there instead of wiping.

Postby Fissulyna » 14 Sep 2008, 16:09

Any idea where to get one ??? :D I would like to have it too - but I do not think I can just get into the hospital and take some Image - or maybe I can ???
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61