colace

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

colace

Postby Fissulyna » 15 May 2008, 17:40

Hi all Image !!!
It was suggested to me to try Colace stool softener for now until my fissure heals again. I never tried it and am afraid of diarrhea or something now, so I am wondering if anybody has some experience with this med. My poop is now pretty soft because I now really make sure to take that Metamucil twice a day and full dose. I discovered that on berry flavored container the recommended dose is 1 TEA spoon and with orange 1 TABLE spoon Image, well no wonder I did not get enough of that stuff Image - I thought they are all the same Image Image !!!! Ridiculous Image !!!!! So, buddies, read the label :pale: - it is wonder that I healed first time around !!!
Sorry for the digression - any thoughts about Colace ???
Thanks in advance Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Re: colace

Postby Jen » 15 May 2008, 18:20

Fiss -
I hate colace! It does not work for me at all! It has no effect on my stool what so ever! My iron was low after my baby's birth and the doc had me on iron pills and colace for 6 weeks. This is how I got constipated and got my fissure and hemmie problem 15 months ago!!!!!
I take 1 teaspoon of MOM when needs - maybe once a month. The adult dosage is 2-4 Tablespoons so I am only taking like 1/8 of the adult dosage. This, makes it more like a stool softner than a laxative for me.
I hope your doing well fissy!
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 15 May 2008, 18:25

I used colace for about a year and when I stopped it I realized it hadn't really been doing anything. So for me it was pretty benign stuff. I actually almost bought some today thinking it had been awhile and maybe I should switch up my arsenal. But it doesn't sound like you need it, to be honest-if your poops are soft.

Postby Fissulyna » 15 May 2008, 18:37

Oh thanks buddies Image - I might as well now return those boxes while they are unopened Image I don't know what is up with docs to recommend it so much when it has no effect whatsoever Image . I will stick than with proven stuff for me - Metamucil + some MOM before the bed time !
:redlove:
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Jo » 15 May 2008, 20:15

Hi Fiss,
The colace never worked for me either. I have several bottles laying around, I should get rid of it. My family doc suggested it and I took it for a long time cause I have had chronic constipation. It certainly didn't prevent my hemmies. Miralax has worked the best for me, but I haven't tried the MOM.
I think the metamucil dose varies according to whether it is sugar free or not.
Jo
Last edited by Jo on 16 May 2008, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 May 2008, 20:43

Colace works for many people and I can't see why anyone would at least give it a try. It does bring water to the stools, but in varying degrees for different people. But I also agree it is not a very potent OTC and for many it's effects can be negligible.
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 15 May 2008, 20:52

Thanks Jo Image !!!
You are also absolutely right about sugar free metamucil and regular one - that is the only difference between the two that I have (except already mentioned flavor) - oh lord, don't doctors know about that Image ??? We had so many posts here with members asking about right dosage and we were arguing if it is one tsp or tbsp because we got different instructions from our doctors - geeeeeeeez Image We possibly all had same instructions but for different kinds of Metamucil - just crazy Image
Kim- thank you buddy for the input Image It looks like it is all so individual that unfortunately we all have to try stuff on our own skin :pale: to see results - sometimes disastrous Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Jo » 15 May 2008, 21:17

Kim,
You are right :) , the Colace may work for some, and it doesn't hurt to try it.
Fiss,
I know I was confused after my surgery cuz my Dr. told me to start taking 1 tbsp twice a day, and my husband bought me the sugar free and I thought 1 tbsp would be way too much.
Glad I didn't do what I was Image told!!
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Jen » 15 May 2008, 21:25

Kim's right - Its worth a try. Everyone is different. However, I still think that 70% of the population would get better outcomes from something else. :)
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 May 2008, 21:32

Actually, colace is among the first line of defense for AF. Of course, there are so many other stool softeners, but it is about the mildest one around, cheap, and it is not a cure! But it helps many people, and it helped me.
Deleted User 5