Constipated. Please advise me !

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Constipated. Please advise me !

Postby SummerGal » 07 Aug 2011, 09:45

I just had a similar experience to you. 4 days after surgery I had still not gone and was very uncomfortably constipated. I was already on two stool softeners a day and mineral oil (mixed into apple juice) per my doctor, but that wasn't helping, probably because I was on too many pain killers. I finally did the Milk of Magnesia (MOM) and the next day it did the trick. The first BM was painful, because it was my first after surgery and I had to strain some, but the 2nd time I went, it was much softer and easier. I just got in the tub right after to help with the stinging. I felt much better after that. Try the MOM and good luck! p.s. If worse comes to worse, my doctor told me to take a Fleet Enema...not the most fun, but if you feel it's getting really bad, it might be worth it as a last resort.
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Ink184 » 07 Aug 2011, 10:30

Stress will always linger around, and it does make it worse. Believe it or not, once i stopped worrying about BM i started having them daily Image.
I was rushed twice to the ER because of this, i know how uncomfortable it gets when ur full and need to go but you just can't. Mind you i just had a major hernia surgery so straining is a no no. I strained twice after the surgery, close call no damage done to the mesh or the incisions. But it did aggravate my AF beyond belief.
The pain was almost other worldly. When you feel you need to go, don't strain, Give it time, stool softeners work on softening the stools in the rectum as well. But it takes time to get there and usually the first one is the hardest (pun intended lol)
Oh and stay near your tub after the first one, most likely you will need a hot bath right after it, it should make the initial burning sensation go, you will be sore but hey, this is why we are all here to learn from our experiences and share our pains.
Enemas are good too, but leave that as a last resort, and if you don't know how to take them, seek some medical assistance, you can easily damage your AF with the nozzle. They are a relief, i had 2 last week and i hope i won't need them again they are usually safe but saline hurts a lot with an AF. At least it hurt me, i took the Fleet Enema.
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby of all the places to hurt » 07 Aug 2011, 11:25

Image Everyone!!! Got to say though the thought of an enema ouch .... I have just taken some more MOM and movicol so something gotta give soon! Don't know about you guys but do you dread the mornings? I do as they determine what kind of a day ur going to have Mmmm
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby of all the places to hurt » 07 Aug 2011, 11:34

Val, thanx again for msgs! I will take ur advice tmrw if I don't blow Image
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby SummerGal » 08 Aug 2011, 08:09

Places to Hurt,
I TOTALLY am with you on fearing the mornings (or anytime I need to go have a bm) because you don't know how good/bad it will affect your day (ar the next few hours). I was in your shoes yesterday, constipated and in pain from straining. I took some MOM too, so I hope today will be better. The pain is better right now, but I haven't tried to go. Good luck to you. I now this sucks!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby of all the places to hurt » 08 Aug 2011, 09:15

Hey Summer,
It looks like the Movicol/Miralax worked for me....yeyyyyyyy
I have got the spasms though Image
I took some lactulose at midnight last night too. I was woken up at 5.30a.m with a desperate need to go. So I never had time to fret. Thankfully, all done and bathed etc...by 6a.m
I am going to take Movicol everyday now x2 a day and see how I g? I am still afraid to eat but hey will be a size 0 at christmas lol....turkey and movicol yummy ;-)
Here's hoping you go as easily as I did. My thoughts are with you Image
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby SummerGal » 08 Aug 2011, 11:08

Yay! I am glad you were able to go. What a relief for you. I ended upgoing about an hour after I wrote my post, so it's a good day so far for both of us. I had a lot of pain at first and had to strain some, but it was fairly soft when it did come out. I jumped straight in the tub and took a painkiller,a nd feel much better now. I am curled up in bed with a snoozing puppy at the moment..so all is well for now.
I will probably add in some Mirolax and a little MOM at bedtime tonight, just to make sure. My dad (I am staying at his place since the surgery) bought some prune juice, so I might try some of that too...bleck. lol
Yeah, I totally agree we will be much thinner by the holidays (and hopefully feeling all well). I needed to lose quite a few pounds though, so that is one silver lining in all of this. Hope the rest of your day goes well!! Image
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby Ink184 » 08 Aug 2011, 13:42

Glad you were able to go Andrea! Don't make the mistake of cutting lactulose/movicol or whatever you are taking immediately just because you had a smooth BM, stay on it for a couple of days or consult your doctor.
Movicol has been my hero, i don't have to worry about constipation anymore, just the post BM spasms and pains, i am getting used to spending all day after work at home now :( but hey it means i can wake up pain free and go to work the next day.
I have an appointment with my CRS tomorrow to decide upon a date for my surgery, most likely by the 21 or 22 just when our vacation starts so i wont have to skip days at work and i can use the vacation to recover.
Hope you get better soon!
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby StevePain » 08 Aug 2011, 14:31

Drink plenty of water, about 2-3 litres, Movicol won't be as effective without it, plus you need water since your body assigns X amount to the bowel, a dry bowel = constipation or even worse Faecal Impaction...
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby of all the places to hurt » 08 Aug 2011, 15:20

Thanks for that Steve and I have done. Problem is now I have had the trots since tea time yeyyyyyyy happy days Image
Proctosphincteranalogist