Cyclist new to forum

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Cyclist new to forum

Postby octobahn » 27 Mar 2013, 01:14

As mentioned in a previous post, I wish a had found this forum prior to having my surgery, it would have helped answer a great deal of questions I had. Anyway, I did have my fistulectomy last Tuesday and I'm starting down the road to recovery.
I did have a question I'd like to throw out there. Are there any avid cyclists out there facing this issue and aren't able to ride regularly? I'm trying to guage how long this road really is before I can get back on the saddle. My doctor told me 2 weeks to a month I'll be back riding but I'm having a hard time believing him.
octobahn
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Cyclist new to forum

Postby Savaici » 27 Mar 2013, 12:32

Image to the forum, and hope your fistulectomy recovery is non-eventful. There are quite a few people who have had this surgery on here, and the search facility is on here is very good.
The only cyclist I could find was richlen2, and you could try messaging him. He was only on here for six posts, so I presume he healed and moved on. Here is a link to his posts: http://anal-fissure.org/t5072-cyclist-with-anal-fissure?highlight=cyclist
Good luck with your continued healing.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby octobahn » 27 Mar 2013, 13:03

Savaici...thanks so much for the link.
I'm certainly hoping for the best but many of the stories I read point to a potential for not being able to fully recover from this surgery. On the scale of seriousness I'm not sure where my procedure falls as I don't have many of the pain and issues post-op (with the exception of the blood pooling which I think was me tearing the wound open accidentally). I have another appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks so I've got my fingers crossed that there's going to be some good news. I will also continue to dig through the site and try to find more readings about cases more closely match to mine. Thanks so much for administering this site, it's been a huge help.
octobahn
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 30 Mar 2013, 12:53

So I'm not a cyclist but, when battling AF I did have a sit down job as a truck driver.
While the movement of my butt as a truck driver does not match what you go through on your bike I believe it took my fissures a lot longer to heal as I stayed on the job.
Even after healing once you have a fissure, getting another is much more likely to happen.
The skin down there being much thinner, it is more susceptible to re-tears and any little irritation and or movement....i.e truck driving, and cycling can impede its recovery process.
GL to you

Postby octobahn » 31 Mar 2013, 22:22

Thank you buttastic. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to recover from your procedure -- to the point where you're able to go about your daily routine with little discomfort?
Quite honestly, the thought of not being able to ride my bike again would really sadden me to the point where I think slipping into depression would be a real possibility. I hope it doesn't come to that.
octobahn
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2013, 13:12

octobahn
We hope you will not have to give up your bike for too long.
So in your case from what I hear the wound is worse than many a fissure, and the heal times will thus take longer.
I have never had a fistula or any surgery done, I'd just had bad recurring fissures and I'd use the creams and diets to try and heal up.
With your surgery though it just a guessing game for me so I will politely bite my tongue here as to the heal times.

Sounds like the Seton device will be good for you to help the drainage.
But supposing if your surgery was quite minor down to the level of a "regular" fissure, I reiterate........

The tricky thing about fissures is to keep them away once they have healed.
Everybody is different, but for me my AFs were very recurring for several years. Once I had one, getting rid of it to the point of zero discomfort took me anywhere from a little over a week to around a month due to re-tearing.
Re-tears were the coup de grace for me as well as others here, so trying to keep the stools soft is now your challenge.
You may be fine, with zero discomfort for several days and weeks and months, but then a couple of hard BMs can lead to yet another AF.
This is the "cycle" (pun just thought of and yeah, intended) that plagues many if not most of us in here.
Thankfully though, I have seemed to be able to beat my
recurring AFs through diet alone and I have not had an AF for quite a while.

We hope your sub' visits will work out for you.
Two weeks to a month that your doctor mention, is indeed like I stated, is about the time it would take for my fissures to completely heal.
Provided that there are no hard bm's or bouts of diarrhea or perhaps in your case drainage problems.
Are prayers are for your complete speedy recovery.
HTH & GL
Last edited by Guest on 02 Apr 2013, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo

Postby octobahn » 03 Apr 2013, 09:39

I appreciate the encouragement and information buttastic. Still feeling pretty good right now. Even planning to try a little time, maybe 5 minutes, on the bicycle trainer next week to see how things are progressing. Thanks again!
octobahn
Fibre Addict

Postby richibeno » 03 Apr 2013, 10:37

Hey
I'd take it easy for a while these things can take a while,
Are you going to see a nurse to check up on its healing '
I'm recovering had a fistulotomy in Dec still sore and get an ache now and then last sore crs in march said it was healing fine '
I sored a nurse twice a week in the first month to make sure it heals from the bottom up
Did you have any muscle involved
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby octobahn » 03 Apr 2013, 15:52

richibeno wrote:Hey
I'd take it easy for a while these things can take a while,
Are you going to see a nurse to check up on its healing '
I'm recovering had a fistulotomy in Dec still sore and get an ache now and then last sore crs in march said it was healing fine '
I sored a nurse twice a week in the first month to make sure it heals from the bottom up
Did you have any muscle involved

Sequence of events are: had the surgery on 3/19, saw my surgeon for a follow-up on 3/23, then noticed some bleeding around 3/26-27 so went in to see him again on 3/29. At that point he checks the wound again and also tells me that some muscle work was involved in the surgery and that the bleeding was a result of the stitches having dissolved (as they should). Since then the bleeding has subsided and I no longer get the puss or slight bleeding any longer. I am trying to be very cautious in my activities, and I don't plan on even trying a ride for at least another week or so -- just a short 5 mins on my trainer. To be honest, I was encouraged by my doctor's reaction to my recovery. On my first follow up visit he said he's seeing the wound starting to close already, then on the second follow up he said he didn't feel that it was necessary to schedule another appointment unless I noticed something which was of concern. So at this point I don't have to go back to see him. His confidence in my recovery has given me much hope but I'm always left wondering if he's just being lazy or is there no money for him if I were to make a follow up visit? Hahaha...I have no idea. I just have my fingers crossed that the next week will go well and I'll be able to start some cycling next week.
octobahn
Fibre Addict