External Hemorrhoidectomy & LIS recovery

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

External Hemorrhoidectomy & LIS recovery

Postby Flaneur » 31 Oct 2019, 07:10

Thought I'd try and log my recovery, both to help others (maybe?!) And so I can see the small steps in healing.

I had two external hems removed (I thought one was just a tag and asked him to remove it while I was under... turns out it was more extensive than that and he removed a hem there) and a "minimal" internal sphincterotomy. I've looked at my wounds and it looks like a war zone. No idea what wound it what. Prior to this I had:
2013: repeated thrombosed external hems excised at the docs
2014: HAL RAR and then botox for a fissure caused by the HAL surgery (Two separate procedures)
2015: colonoscopy and sclerotherapy of internal hems
2014/15/16/17 continued problems with external hem thrombosing and excised repeatedly
2018: sigmoidoscopy, banding of internals and removal of tag
2019: colonoscopy, repeated banding of internals and removal of tag
2019: hemorrhoidectomy and sphincterotomy 

Here's my diary:

Fri 25/10. Day 1. surgery day. 2 ext hems removed and 1 "mininal" sphincterotomy. Arrived at 1230, waited so long. Enema at 2, surgery finally at 430, discharged 8pm. Hospital like a factory, terrible. 3 hour drive home was super uncomfortable. Had a tramadol and slept.
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: External Hemorrhoidectomy & LIS recovery

Postby Flaneur » 31 Oct 2019, 07:11

Sat 26/10. Day 2. Tramadol at midday. Pain only 4/5 except when occasional spasm. 1800hrs pain was worsening, so showered to remove packing and bandages. Nauseated after removal (bandage taped to buttocks and some internal gauze that took effort to remove). Took anti nausea pill. PM took stool softener (movicol and 2 ducolax pills) and bed.

Sun 27/10- day 3. woke up late. Rumbling belly but no BM. No painkillers all day but foolishly stood up all day. Silly me, feeling pretty good, wondering what others had complained about! PM had a salt bath and more softeners (movicol and ducolax).
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Flaneur » 31 Oct 2019, 07:11

Mon 28/10- day 4. 8am BM within half hour of waking. Burning pain, mostly at the 6oclock site. Cleaned with wet wipes, then showered, then salt bath. Pain persisted so took tramadol and slept. Worst pain today of all so far. Persistent 4/10 pain, but up to 8/10 during BM. Day spent on couch and bed. Ate oats, one piece of toast. Dreading BM tomorrow.

Tue 29/10- day 5. Took ibuprofen at 7am, hoping it would kick in by the time I needed a BM. Then back to bed for half hour. BM within 30 minutes of waking. Pain 6+/10 again. Quick shower then into salt bath. Pain back down to 3/10 after salt bath. No pain relief needed through day. Lots of lying about reading and tv. Still looks like a massacre. Why the he'll did I even look? Dark blue patch at 6oc. Maybe stitches? Maybe this is the sphincterotomy site?
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Flaneur » 31 Oct 2019, 07:13

Wed 30/10. Day 6. Pain overnight and hot sweats. Hoping no infection. Took ibuprofen and paracetamol at 7am, same as yesterday. BM at 8am. Not painful to do, but painful with wiping and stinging afterwards. Salt bath immediately after. Another BM at 930. Another bath. This time I blotted with a warm, wet wash cloth. A bit better, but same stinging pain. Third BM at 1330. Again blotted with warm wet washer and had a salt bath. Spent all day on my feet and paying for it in the evening. Constant stinging, especially at that 6oclock site. 5pm and keen for bed. Made a Dr appt for Monday so I can get another week off work. Wound still looks awful. Maybe even worse than before. Only took movicol this evening as I've only eaten half a dozen rice cakes and some oats with fruit.

Thu 31/10. Day 7. Same drill with the painkillers early, then BM. BM still super sloppy, and almost acidic feeling. Afterwards had a quick shower, then a salt bath for 10 minutes. I'm wondering if the salt in the bath (Epsom and normal salt) are causing more stinging? Did a little bit of raking and vacuuming, figured if the pain is constant I might as well get some blood flowing. Lat down for a bit then another BM at 1200. Again, no pain or blood doing the BM but the 6oclock site stings like a mofo when I woke, even if it's just blotting with a wet washer. Blood on the washer- not heaps, maybe a teaspoon, but when I had a look it was coming from the gaping 6 o'clock wound. Trying not to stress about it. Jumped in the bath for some relief. Spent the rest of the afternoon feeling sorry for myself on the couch. Still bleeding when I checked later, with a dark red or blue lump at that same wound. Emailed the surgeon to ask advice. Just have to wait it out I suppose. Stinging pain was constant this afternoon. Sat in warm bath with couple drops of geranium oil in it (supposed to help heal wounds) as there's blood on my bum cheeks. Will try coconut oil over the next couple of days to see if that helps.
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Flaneur » 01 Nov 2019, 07:48

Fri 1/11 day 8. Well, this time last week I was being wheeled into surgery. If only I knew then what I know now. Last night I ended up taking a tramadol. Also didn't have a BM this morning which is either because of the tramadol or because I haven't eaten much at all. Maybe both. After doing a few jobs this morning I went to bed at 11 and slept until 130pm. The tramadol leaves me feeling hungover. At 130 got up, had a bowl of cereal with yoghurt and berries and a coffee to see if things might move along. Had a very small BM and then into the bath. Such stinging, mostly at my left (4oclock?). Emailed the surgeon last night about the bloody looking lump at 6 o'clock and he said it sounds like a blood clot and should resolve. That's it. No more info. I want to know if this means it's like a thrombosed hem and should be excised or not, so replied with some questions. He replied and said it should be left alone and would heal in "a few weeks". Ugh. Seeing my Doc on Monday so I can ask her too. I just really want to turn a corner and be on the road to healing. At least the pain is ok unless I've had a BM. Went out for 3h to a function. Standing. Not too bad until I got home because I didn't have a chance to think about it. But then it was quite painful. Took a bath and put on coconut oil and 100% aloe Vera. Stinging pain, so blotted it off and put on proctosedyl. Ill try a little bit of aloe on its own again in a couple of days. Trying to sleep without Tramadol tonight.
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Flaneur » 02 Nov 2019, 05:26

Sat 2/11. Day 9. BM this morning when I woke up. Not painful to do, as usual, just pain afterwards. That same stinging at 4oclock position on my left. Bath, then did some jobs around the house, had an upsetting conversation with someone and cried myself to sleep. Woke at 1 feeling better. Just need to take this at my own pace. Made myself walk around the yard and house. Had a coffee and another BM. Bath, Same stinging, same spot. Tummy is grumbling like I have the runs today. Managed a quiet afternoon of housework reading and trying to feel positive. Ate more for dinner than i have all week, fingers crossed that's ok. Movicol tonight then bed.
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby Flaneur » 03 Nov 2019, 06:09

Sun 3/11. day 10. BM immediately on waking. I get no notice- just have to GO! Liquid, whixh is fine cominf out but stings aftet. Still the same stinging pain, relieved a bit on bathing, but it returns as soon as I'm out of the bath. It feels like a wound stingibg, not a muscle pain. Lay down and let the area air out a bit this morning for half an hour. Procrosedyl, aloe and coconut oil on it. Did a bunch of housework in preparation for afternoon visitors and the week ahead. Another BM at 1115, so liquidy. Sat in the bath again. Wondering how to manage these middle of the day BMs. when back at work next week. I cant just go whwnever i want, so hoping the urgebcy subsides by then. Maybe a bag with thermos of hot water and wash cloths in it to hold against the area after a BM in lieu of a bath. Anyone else got suggestions? Family stuff all afternoon. Turns out sitting is NOT comfy at all yet. I have to Perth on one cheek. Another small BM with lots of explosive gas at 1830 and another bath. So sick of the bath. Ate badly today (cake, pastries, more cake) so am worried how that will go tomorrow. Fingers crossed
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby tight80 » 03 Nov 2019, 20:28

Glad I found your recovery post Flaneur. Hang in there.The stinging stayed with me for the first two and a half weeks. Then the surgical site closed up and it just stopped. Sounds like you had more external work than I did so yours may last longer.

As for how to deal with BMs at work - carry the wet wipes and check out the Boss mini bidet on amazon. I'm currently using it and it is what got me through a difficult day of travel until I could get to a shower.

What did your CRS give you in terms of timeframe for healing?

Wishing you the best in your recovery.
tight80
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Flaneur » 03 Nov 2019, 20:33

Thank you @tight80! I'll see what we have here in terms of the mini bidet. Sounds like a great idea. My CRS said one week!!!! I saw my normal doctor today who said there are still open wounds there and just keep doing what I'm doing. Seems like it's really just a waiting game and I have to be more patient. Even sitting in the car driving today (about 20 minutes each way to the doctor) was painful so I'm glad I have another week off work. How many weeks into recovery are you now?
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Postby tight80 » 03 Nov 2019, 20:40

I'm on Day 23 so just over 3 weeks. I'm still not able to sit on hard surfaces or for long periods of time. My CRS said I'd be feeling pretty good by about week 3 but I think we all have different healing rates.

The portable bidet is working well so far - also check out the peri bottles for women who just gave birth - same concept. I like the blue boss mini on amazon because it was the smallest I could find for hiding in my purse.

I hope the sitting improves for us both very soon!
tight80
Salt Bather

Topics: 3