terrified

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: terrified

Postby Loves Tennis » 14 Dec 2013, 14:24

Hi Scared Ann, I totally know how u might be feeling scared, I was v anxious before I had LIS two months ago but having suffered for 4 terrible years with horrific pain I can tell you that in the end the LIS was a breeze. As some of the others have said it is a true fix for this awful affliction. I too was petrified of the first BM but take stool softeners and drink lots of water and it will slip out. I had absolutely no fissure pain ever again from day one and only some soreness at the incision / stitch site. You will get through this and it will be worth it. Wishing you the very best and let us know how you get on
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby scared ann » 14 Dec 2013, 15:51

Thank you Loves Tennis! I'm a baby when it comes to pain that's why I'm so frightened about the surgery recovery.and then they said that the pain meds cause constipation that's even more scary.I am planning to cancel it because my fissure really is not bothering me so much.but my hubby said I'm just making an excuse for my self.i have this fissure off and on for about 3 yrs and my husband thinks that it's about time to do something about it.how was your recovery? Do you have tag removed?
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Loves Tennis » 14 Dec 2013, 17:34

Hi Scared Ann SNAP, I thought exactly the same, the few weeks before the surgery I kept saying I might just get away without having this surgery I am pretty good..........ok pain levels generally around a 1 most days but still lingering for several hours, needing to take painkillers 4/5 days out of 7........BUT ......have it......I am so glad I did, I literally feel back to normal for the first time in 4 years......I used to literally dread going to the loo before the surgery now it's a joy...... you won't have bad pain at all after the surgery, I only took paracetemol v light pain killer for few days there was no pain..Can I ask where are u living ? Europe ? I live in Ireland I can tell you what I take to keep things soft / moving...... there is a product made by Pukka called Triphalia it comes in a tablet form its some sort of dried fruit, I take two a day and it keeps my BM soft might be worth a try. Keep up good fruit intake, grapes / oranges are great and good bit of water. I really expected that the 1st BM would be horrific but it wasn't and my recovery was quite fast. Within 5 days I had walked a mile and it took about 4-5 weeks to feel really normal. The area gets a bit itchy but that's part of the healing I think.

I did not have a tag removed.......I had my check up two weeks ago and the surgeon says that the fissure (or crater as he called it) was still technically there but skin was beginning to grow over it but it causes me absolutely no pain or discomfort it is a pure miracle. Please have faith it can be the same for you.
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby scared ann » 14 Dec 2013, 18:24

Hi Loves Tennis ! Thank you for sharing your experienced .its very helpful and uplifting.i lived in the U.S...i wish we have that here.sometimes it's so frustrating that I acted like this my hubby said that I need to grow up and act like an adult but I am really scared,can't sleep at night ,can't eat,and lost of interests I don't wanna see my friends it's been really crazy.i hate myself acting like a little kid:(

I really admired you for doing this type of surgery:) I wish your speedy recovery
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 15 Dec 2013, 04:29

Ann..... You are not acting like a little kid!! Af's seem to have a direct link to anxiety.... I got so bad I was being physically sick in the mornings I was so scared of having to go to the toilet. I have lost count the amount of times I have broken down and sobbed over this darn fissure.... Maybe you should show your husband a couple of posts on this board... He can then see its a complete roller coaster of emotions living with this painful condition.

You need to remind yourself that the surgery is going to HELP you. Don't be scared of constipation from pain meds.... Take mirilax, drink plenty of water, eat a light diet for a few days .. Oats, soups, fruit smoothies etc and things will be just fine.

:smilyhug:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Rachael 1984 » 15 Dec 2013, 05:37

Hi Ann,
This condition is truly horrible, and at times other people just don't understand. Because they haven't had the pain and hell of this they just think we can get on with it. Best of luck with your surgery and you will come out the other side and beat the monster fissure. Sending you my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Xxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby scared ann » 15 Dec 2013, 07:14

Hi OMB ! Yes you are right this darn fissure gave me anxiety.and so my up coming surgery and recovery.i tried to talk to my self that I'm can handle this but it turns out that I'm crying :( thank you for all the support and advices.
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby scared ann » 15 Dec 2013, 07:28

Thank you Rachael !thats true they don't have any idea at all.What kind of procedure did you get for your fissure?
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 15 Dec 2013, 08:00

Hi Ann,
I had Botox back in April, but unfortunately I still have Fissures. I have an appointment in Jan with surgeon. I am going to be heading for more surgery, not sure what yet. I just want this hell to end like we all do. I am in pain again, and trying to cope day by day.... Are you in the UK? Waiting on the NHS is a nightmare... If he doesn't sort me out I will seek a second opinion, as I have been going on with this now for a year and 3 months. Sigh. It is normal to be scared, it is the unknown that scares us, plus the outcome. We are all here for you. Xxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby scared ann » 15 Dec 2013, 08:30

Hi Rachael , sorry to hear that you are suffering again.Actually I live in the U.S I have this fissure off and on for 3yrs now.actually today after 4 weeks of pain I would say I am pain free after BM .thats why I wanna cancel my surgery I want to give it a try again.but hubby said its not gonna fix the problem.still in fear ahhhhhhhhh
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist