Fistula - can anyone help?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fistula - can anyone help?

Postby sadruby » 30 Sep 2012, 15:58

Hi everyone
I am new here. I don't have a fissure but I have a fistula and this place seems to have a few people who have had experience with them so I am hoping someone out there can help with a couple of concerns I have.
I had a sphincter repair (and a couple of other things) done a few months ago which developed an infection that turned into an abscess and then a perianal fistula. I had a loose seton for a couple of months which was removed during a fistulotomy a few days ago.
My concern is that the wound is leaking a yellow, smelly discharge. It looks just like it has another infection. Is this normal following this kind of surgery and if so, how long should this last? As I am sure so many of you can understand, infection is something I am now almost paranoid about.
Also, when I had the seton I could feel a small, thin, flexible but almost sharp tube that ran directly underneath the seton and slightly protruded out of the external fistula opening. It kind of felt like the end of one of those fibre optic kids torches that changes colour. (Hope that makes sense, it's the only way I can describe it.) A bit of Dr Googling suggested that cords or tubes like that might be part of the fistula or fistula tract. It was hard to find any info on it though. I expected that I would no longer have this after the surgery to remove the fistula however it is still there. It can be felt coming out of the skin right where the seton was and at the opening of the fistulotomy wound. Does this mean that the surgery wasn't done fully or that I still have some form of fistula happening?
I am nervous and have lost a lot of faith after five hospital admissions and four surgeries in just over three months. It feels a bit like I just start getting hope that it will all be behind me and then I have setbacks that hit me.
Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer some insight into this :)
sadruby

Topics: 1

Re: Fistula - can anyone help?

Postby restoremybody » 30 Sep 2012, 16:41

Sadruby, I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'm sure someone does. We all know what's it like to have butt pain and feel down. I send you a hug.
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby sadruby » 30 Sep 2012, 16:54

Thanks heaps. Butt pain and problems are so frustrating! On top of the embarrassment and sensitivity of it all, I can't think of a more germy, unclean place to a wound. It is depressing.
sadruby

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 Oct 2012, 11:55

Hi Sadruby,
Sorry to hear you're suffering and you've been through so much with this whole issue.
I have had a Fistulomy too but not with a seton, so can't really offer you any personal experience on this, but do feel you need to go back for some further reassurance on this. Have you changed your CRS at all? I just feel a second opinion on this might be good for you ?.....
I know some form of discharge is natural still after fistulomies but not too sure about leaky and foul-smelling? I'd probably go and get this checked out with my GP - just in case, you do have an infection.....
It's really hard to say what might be going on in your "recovery" process, but I think you have lots of questions, that rightfully need answers! I really would go back with a list of questions!! and pester them.
Good luck to you. Hope you get some reassurance on this soon Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby sadruby » 01 Oct 2012, 15:56

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately I don't have the option of seeking a second opinion. I tried and the referrals all went back to the same CRS. It is probably the most frustrating thing about this whole situation. The CRS I see also has little time to answer questions and is far from reassuring to say the least.
I went to my GP and do have an infection. It well and truly sucks and I am now on antibiotics again hoping it can clear it up.
She also said the sound of the 'rod' thing that is there doesn't seem normal although she couldn't really get a good look at it because everything was so sore and messy there. I did more googling yesterday and it may be the sinus tract? I would have thought that would have been removed during the surgery. My GP will have have a better look once the infection settles down.
It really feels like one step forward, two steps back :(
Thanks again
sadruby

Postby richibeno » 18 Oct 2012, 12:40

hey sadruby how are you feeling ,
hope you doing better ,
did the infection clear up ok
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28