fistula surgery questions!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

fistula surgery questions!

Postby noob024 » 20 Feb 2013, 15:07

Hello Im still new to the forum, my name is Erin. I do not personally have any fissures or fistula but my boyfriend does. I've been helping him since he got his first fissure. He had his fissure laid open on Monday (2/18) and has been coping very well. Not much pain (his was small, isn't even an inch long) but he was terrified about his first BM after the local wore off. He is taking percs so he became slightly constipated. He finally had a BM this afternoon (2/20) and had some blood around it. He got a shower to rinse off.
What I have been doing is I have him bend over in the shower and I dab a soapy (fragrance free, antibacterial) wash rag onto the cut. I also use a dropper to rinse it. it seems to get it very well.
Afterwards, we go to the bedroom and use a hair dryer on low to dry it off. I then apply Dibucaine and put some gauze on him.
So today after his BM we went through the steps like yesterday. When I was going to apply the Dibucaine I noticed he missed some from his BM, a small bit. I tried to get the rest of it but it seems there was still some behind the outer muscles that I cannot get to. Now the incision is at 11 o'clock so I don't think it would come into contact with any feces behind the muscles?
I'm sorry if this is too much information but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right, any advice I would greatly appreciate!!!
noob024

Topics: 1

Re: fistula surgery questions!

Postby Savaici » 20 Feb 2013, 20:24

Hi there,
Is your boyfriend using a Sitz bath? This not only is soothing, but would probably help to make sure everything is clean there, as that is so important after fistula surgery.
I would suggest that he speaks to his Surgeon and asks if using a Sitz bath is okay.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?