Fistula

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fistula

Postby small_flower » 29 Apr 2007, 20:19

AAAAHHH! I just had this whole post typed and then I lost it. But here is the long short of it.
I went to my CRS again on friday to have a final check up before my insurance runs out. He thinks that I might have a fistula. He wasn't 100% sure so he basically told me to keep doing what I am doing and if it gives me any trouble to come back and see him right away.
My question to you all...is....IF I do actually have a fistula, what can I do to make sure it doesnt get infected...or to get rid of it all together???? I would rather not have to have it cut open again. I know that its possible that it could just behave...but is this something else that I am going to have to be careful with and take care of for the rest of my life?
Theres nothing saying for sure that I have a fistula, but its a possibility. What do you all think? Any advice would be great!
thanks
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Fistula

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 20:35

Hey Kate,
What I don't quite get is how can he say you might have a fistula? Is there another way to diagnosis it? That seems rather important to know if you have it or not.
What symptoms are you having? Do you feel any different?
I don't have a lot of answers for you but I will look on the web and see what I can find.
One thing that helps fights infection and builds up your immunity is to take olive leaf extract. Not from the olives but from the leaves. I took that as I was recovering from my hemorrhoid surgery to prevent infection since they don't give you antibiotics. I wonder if something like that would help? I also wonder if aloe vera could be useful as well?
I'll see what I can find, but it seems like your doctor should be able to be more definitive. Are you going to be able see him again? Even if you insurance runs out, do you think your parents could help you with the cost?
This may not turn out to be a major problem and could just be part of healing. I hope we can get this figured out soon!
Hang in there,
Lecia

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 20:37

Kate ,
why does he think you have a fistula? does he think it has developed since your surgery? Have you had Pain since your surgery? I wonder why he did not do something with the suspicious area when he had you on the table?
I think Gareth's macrobiotic info might be of some help to you.
I'll be paraying that you DO NOT have a fistula- jukst because you don't need any more issues down there.
God Bless You and Good Luck

Postby small_flower » 29 Apr 2007, 20:48

The reason the surgeon thought that it was possible is because when he was examining he found that tender area, and he kept touching it, and i told him it hurt. He drew me a picture and explained what a fistula was, but never 100% said that I had a fistula. I have had pain since the surgery, and a little bit of blood but I assumed that that was from a retear. There is no swelling or bump or anything, so I am hoping that if I take care of myself, that it will stay that way. It hasn't really been b othering me. I had no idea that it was there. So i'm hoping it stays that way. Where is gareth when I need him? Hehehehe
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Apr 2007, 06:14

Yeah, Gareth could probably shed some light here (?)
Have you googled fistula to see what the symptoms are?
I'm with Lecia, it seems the CRS would be more definitive.
Wish I had advice; I would think much of the fissure advice would hold true for the fistula, especially diet.
Keep us posted on this!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 30 Apr 2007, 09:50

http://www.fascrs.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=1
Hey Kate,
I found this article on fistula from the American Society of Colo-rectal Surgeons. It sounds like (from my limited understanding) that an abcess can form like a pocket that can develop into a fistula (tunnel) from the inside of the rectum toward the outside. It seems like you would be having more symptoms if you indeed had this.
But the article did say that once properly healed it is not likely to reoccur so if it does turn out that you have this you will not have to deal with this for the rest of your life or even for very long at all.
Take Care,
Lecia

Postby small_flower » 30 Apr 2007, 16:13

Wow, thank you Lecia.
Yes...I am waiting for Gareth to stumble upon this post and impart his wisdom on the matter.
As for me....well...no symptoms really. The only thing that I had today was some blood on the tissue, which i really think is caused by the toilet paper they have at school. Its like sand paper. I went out and bought some of the moist wipes again. I think i'll stick with those. Unforunately, they didnt have the charmin freshmates, so I had to go with something else. I was desperate. :|
Thats all for now folks. I just hope that it isn't a fistula.
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Apr 2007, 16:16

At this stage, I wouldn't be surprised if that darned old fissure of your's wasn't capable of still shedding some blood. I thought my toilet paper would never stop turning pink! It finally did!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 30 Apr 2007, 16:17

Yeah, government issue school district TP is the pits! If you are in a pinch I would at least wet it down but I bet if you do that it will disintegrate in a second anyway!!
Keep us updated though I am betting it is nothing!
L.

Postby Guest » 30 Apr 2007, 22:15

I had a fistula operated on in February. Mine was a tunnel from my fissure to the about an inch from my fissure. It looked like a zit when it was inflammed/infected. It would discharge and I would be fine, then it would reinfect......the cycle for me was about 5 bad days....5 good....ect. I healed from that surgery, but my fissure didnt get to since the fistulotomy basiclly gave me a 1 inch fissure to heal. After my second surgery, I am for the moment doing well. Have someone look at you when you are having those wierd sensations. I went to my Dr on a monday and told him 2 days later he HAD to see me......he thought i was nuts, but when he saw me that day my fistula was like a beacon for him to see.