fistulotomy wound recovery question

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

fistulotomy wound recovery question

Postby fistulasuck » 13 Apr 2014, 20:52

Hi all,

I have a question for you all that has done fistulotomy before. I did my fistulotomy like a week ago and now going thru the recovery process. My question is, is it normal for the wound to be in yellow color ? the yellow tissue seems like could not being wiped clean and not like pus. I called the doctor office and the nurse said that is normal but did not give me any other explanation. I dont feel any pain or other kind of infection sign but just that wound is yellow and I am not sure if that is normal or not.

thanks all.
fistulasuck

Topics: 1

Re: fistulotomy wound recovery question

Postby richibeno » 13 Apr 2014, 22:24

Hi,

When I was recovering, I would gently wipe with wet wipes soaked in warm water then jump in the bath. I would use the shower head to gently rinse the area then after if I wanted to.

I would use a portable bidet to soak my bum then pat dry and use a hair drier on a low heat to dry the area. This would keep the area clean.

If you have any major bleeding or pain go and see your doctor.

A little pain and aching and some mucus secretion is normal.
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby carmona81 » 19 Apr 2014, 06:27

Omg! I hated having to go! I dreaded it so bad, so painful for me. I used to sit and go if I could. When I was ready to wipe I'd do it and jump in the shower as fast as I could move because of the pain! I'm sure I was wiping into the wound and that's what caused the pain. But it was horrible, my legs would start shaking and I felt like screaming. Glad to hear yours is manageable! I never really looked at mine after the first week. It was ugly so I didn't want to worry myself too much. How have you been? Hope all is well.
carmona81
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Deleted User 5666 » 11 Nov 2016, 18:32

Hi all,
I realize your posts are from a couple years ago. I just had a fistulotomy 7 days ago and your comments are exactly what I'm experiencing. I have a yellowish crusty substance on the outside. It washes away when I rinse with the shower head or take baths.

BM's are so painful. More painful after procedure than before. I try so hard to relax and do the deed then immediately jump in shower and rinse followed by a 20-30 minutes soak bath. While I am doing this whole process, I have doing deep breathing because it hurts so bad. I've noticed that the last couple days are lent as intense and the pain doesn't seem to last as long, which I take as a good sign of healing.

My question for you that have gone through this is when did you have your "turn the corner" day? In other words, after how many days or weeks did you feel like you were starting to feel a lot better. I've read some others that say around 10 days post op is when they had a positive turning point and again around 3-4 weeks.

Thank you in advance!
Deleted User 5666

Postby Naina » 16 Dec 2018, 11:25

Deleted User 5666 wrote:Hi all,
I realize your posts are from a couple years ago. I just had a fistulotomy 7 days ago and your comments are exactly what I'm experiencing. I have a yellowish crusty substance on the outside. It washes away when I rinse with the shower head or take baths.

BM's are so painful. More painful after procedure than before. I try so hard to relax and do the deed then immediately jump in shower and rinse followed by a 20-30 minutes soak bath. While I am doing this whole process, I have doing deep breathing because it hurts so bad. I've noticed that the last couple days are lent as intense and the pain doesn't seem to last as long, which I take as a good sign of healing.

My question for you that have gone through this is when did you have your "turn the corner" day? In other words, after how many days or weeks did you feel like you were starting to feel a lot better. I've read some others that say around 10 days post op is when they had a positive turning point and again around 3-4 weeks.

Thank you in advance!

I'm in the same boat as you.
How long does it take to get better.
I'm in excruciating pain
Naina
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Dimitri71 » 19 Dec 2018, 08:25

Hi give it a couple of weeks and you will feel a lot better,
For full recovery with no drainage it will take around 5-6 weeks.
All the best and speedy healing!!
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?