Foods that you should avoid

Help!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Foods that you should avoid

Postby T8Y1OR » 28 Aug 2014, 05:19

Hi everyone

I understand that we are all different but that being said there is some food that I am struggling work out if I should avoid or not.

Jelly (sugar free)
White potatoes ( should I have sweet potatoes in stead)
Nuts and seeds
Sweetcorn
Garden peas
Ice cream
Milk ( I have 0.1% fat milk but should I cut it out all together)
I want to try them but I'm scared it was cause the pain to be worse when I have a BM.

If anyone has had any problems with these foods please let me know your experience, again I understand we are all different but it gives me a better idea.

Cheers
T8Y1OR
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Foods that you should avoid

Postby Apes » 28 Aug 2014, 08:04

Like you said we are all different, trail and error is your best test. I change one thing in my diet in order to see how it effected me. That said I still haven't added nuts back, I'm a little afraid of them. everything else on your list I can have some in moderation. Ice cream seems to work better for then frozen yogurt. All potatoes are fine for me, sweet potatoes are better for you though.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby mmklinemm » 28 Aug 2014, 10:19

Like Apes said, try one thing and see how it affects you. I have no problem with pecans, but I've been afraid to try other whole nuts. Super finely ground natural peanut butter has been a lifesaver for me. I buy the Crazy Richard's or Krema brand. I was losing way too much weight and the peanut butter stopped that. I haven't tested white potatoes, but I eat sweet potatoes almost everyday. Before my fissure, I ate all dairy products with no problems. I cut them out when this started. Each time I've tried to reintroduce milk or ice cream I've gotten diarrhea. A tiny piece of ice cream cake caused my retear. Lactose free foods, like hard, aged cheeses and kefir, are OK for me. Weird that I'm suddenly lactose intolerant. I'm afraid of carrots right now. I've tried them raw, broiled, and boiled until they're mush. Each time I bled with the next BM. But, others seem to be OK with carrots. It really sucks how individualized this stuff is. The stress from food and literally being afraid of it has been the worst part of this for me. I'm afraid to even lick the spoon I use after I make chocolate milk for my kids. Good luck - my heart goes out to all of us dealing with this!!
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Sep 2014, 10:49

Hi,

We are of course all so totally different and what affects one person can affect someone else so differently, but these are my experiences:- (hope it helps)

Jelly (sugar free) - Minor amount with fruits - NO issues.

White potatoes ( should I have sweet potatoes in stead) - Never had an issue with potatoes, but steer clear of buttery "heavy"mashed potatoes/ thin french fries/ greasy chips - Potatoes cooked in their jackets (high fibre) / baby (new) potatoes with skins, even a few potatoes roasted in olive oil or thicker cut chips cause me no issues. Sweet potatoes are the best without doubt!

Nuts and seeds - Love nuts and I have no issues but ensure they are always very well chewed!! I'm a little more wary of sunflower/ pumpkin seeds (the sharper ones) and prefer to grind them for their health benefits.

Sweetcorn - Love it - NO issues.

Garden peas - NO issues.

Ice cream - I steer clear because it tends to give me diarrhoea (I have a sneaky mouthful now & again because I do love it though!)

Milk ( I have 0.1% fat milk but should I cut it out all together) - I don't like milk but from what I read, minor amounts in drinks/ on cereals do not cause big issues. I substitute with bio yogurts with cereals.

I would suggest stick with your "safe" foods whilst dealing with a painful fissure and once things start to improve, just gradually introduce new things into your diet. You will probably be surprised at what you can eat.........To me pizzas, burgers, red meats, white stuffs (bread/ rice/ pasta) are all no-no's these days!!

It really is about cutting out the starchy, heavy, processed, greasy, fried crap in your diet and eating healthily but everything in moderation.

Good luck to you in figuring out what works :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Savaici » 05 Sep 2014, 12:08

I eat these with no problems:

Potatoes - every day, one
Snow peas
Cream cheese
Bagel - every morning, slathered with butter :)
Scone (well nearest thing to this that I can find in the US)
Small amount of cake
Fish and shrimp - small amounts, plain or with lime/lemon juice
Cheddar - strongest I can get, in very small amounts (can't eat blue cheese which I love, such as Stilton or Danish Blue or Gorgonzola)
Milk - a cup full at least every day

...I could go on, but the picture is that we all are different, and for me, what I eat, beats the soup that I "ate" for a year at least when I first got a fissure.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222