Genevi

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Genevi

Postby Cheryl » 16 Dec 2006, 20:26

Hey G
I take sorbitol twice daily (15ml morn and night)
also some help with metamucil morning and night.
PLEASE note, I rely mostly on diet, lots of water, fruit vegies, less red meats, no nuts, less dairy etc.. I believe it is very important to use natural ingredients to do the job.. BUT in our case, immediately after surgery we do need a softener to allow our butts to heal, sometimes diet is just not enough!
Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol - its better than the senna based laxatives as it does not let the bowel get lazy or addicted... But i have read reports that say that Sorbitol can cause unwanted side effects in people suffering with IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome).
Im under the line of thinking that I hope this only to be a short period which i use this for - i will ween myself off hopefully soon. Not only is it annoying to have to take all this stuff.. i personally dont like putting anything processed into my body.. I have always tried my best to keep my body as nature intended - Natural! anyhoo.. rambling now.. just in my opinion id use colace or sorbitol just to get you through the post op period.. you dont want to re-tear.. then ween yourself off slowly and gradually and rely soley on good diet.
goodluck
Cheryl
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

ultimate frustration

Postby Guest » 28 Dec 2006, 09:44

Hi folks,
Well, here's the deal with me: it's almost a month after surgery and the fissure is STILL THERE. Worse yet, I'm still having minor bleeding/some pain with BMs.
Right before Christmas I went for a post-op check-up and the surgeon said that the fissure was still there and that it's possible that it might never go away!!!! He said as long as it doesn't have symptoms (pain/bleeding) it's fine if it's still there. At that point I was having very minor symptoms but he said it was still early for total healing. I asked him about Colace and I told him about this forum and he actually told me NOT to take ANY stool softeners. So I didn't. And he also told me to eat/drink normally while being mindful of fiber intake. I did this. I cheated a bit with pizza and some wine over the holidays.
Today: hard stools and pain.
I'm SO frustrated you guys... After going through the surgery, I thought it would be over and now I feel like I'm back at square 1!!! The pain isn't as bad as before, but it's definitely there. Tonight I'm going to go to the pharmacy and buy Colace and take some anyway, which means I won't be following the doctor's orders... but **** it. I can't believe I still have to go through this. The surgeon says he's not quite sure what to do next if I don't get better... possibly another LIS or a surgery called an "advancement flap" where they sew a piece of healthy tissue over the fissure.
I really do not want to go through this again... oh God it was so painful..
Pray for me guys (and ladies!)
G.

Postby Guest » 28 Dec 2006, 13:08

[quote]The surgeon says he's not quite sure what to do next if I don't get better... possibly another LIS or a surgery called an "advancement flap" where they sew a piece of healthy tissue over the fissure.
ya know this really sucks to hear// seems we all have had or still have almost the same problem... did they all read and study from the same medical book or what?...... all seem to have different ways of doing things for the same problem... thank god its not brain surgery!!..gezzz...
look as far as my opinion: from what ive been thru and healed from day one after surgery and all that i read out here........ get the colase/// try 2 in the am...and 2 in the evening... along with fiber pills ive been great!,,im now down to only 1 colase in the eve after dinner... the fiber is still very important and i will continue to take it..
i dont understand your doctor... i would think a nice smooth b.m. would be so helpful in healing after the surgery..///
im so prayn for ya my friend..i do know your pain!!! i truly do..im a grown man and have cryed many nights and days/// i was going on the route of becomming an acholic from drinking so much to ease my pain...
needless to say im a new man now .. i thank god and the people here everyday after a b.m.
hang in there!
the giz

:)

Postby Guest » 28 Dec 2006, 14:41

Thank you for your support, Giz... I'm really at the end of my rope here. I don't want to go into surgery again and if I have to, then I'll most likely get a second opinion and go to a different doctor. One that will put me under GENERAL anasthesia and give me some good, compassionate advice.
Will let you know how I fare with colace...
Thanks again!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Dec 2006, 15:21

G,
I honestly think your fissure CAN and WILL heal! It should take six weeks and maybe longer after the surgery...you're at one month. When I'm feeling better, I'll tell you in detail what I was doing, as I'm positive my fissure was finally healing on it's own. Give me a day or so.
You are frustrated right now and its VERY understandable why you are.
Right now I need some rest as my recently split-open fanny is howling a bit...
Hugh
Deleted User 5

thank you

Postby Guest » 29 Dec 2006, 08:35

Thanks Hugh for your words of encouragement. Today I'm sitting here and it's like the surgery never happened- the annoying post-BM burning is there, and this morning's BM was painful even if it was soft. It's mostly painful because it scrapes against the surgery part, not because of the fissure. I'm going to call my surgeon today and ask to see him pronto. I don't even know if I trust the guy anymore.... but I need him to look and tell me if I've torn something.
*sigh*

Postby Cheryl » 30 Dec 2006, 20:33

Hi G
after reading your posts i am sorry to hear you are not doing so well... in my opinion i would take a softener and some fibre - this will allow the fissure to heal - some say it can take 6-10 weeks...
if still no success after that, i would seek a second opinion from a new CRS. Without sounding too rude, this dr of yours sounds unusual in his approach to healing a fissure. ... no GA, no softeners, no fibre.... geez most of us do need a helping hand to heal - you shouldnt be afraid to do so.
good luck, i hope you feel better soon :D
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Guest » 30 Dec 2006, 22:46

Oh G, i hate to say this but your CRS makes me nervous - you should seek some more advice. It scares me that you didnt get a GA and he says NOT to take fibre or softener... gosh your not superwoman, Cheryls right, we all need a helping hand sometimes.
I would get on the softeners straight away, otherwise the fissure wont be able to heal.
I am nearly 3 weeks post op and i have been great, using softener, fibre and good diet.
I hope you feel good soon, i wish you a speedie recovery
Love Annie

good news!

Postby Guest » 02 Jan 2007, 15:06

Well, you folks must have sent me some pretty powerful healing vibes because I am getting better!! Before taking some stool softeners I consulted my naturopath to get her advice, and she suggested taking magnesium citrate. Magnesium is a mineral that helps keep your bones healthy, but it also calms your nerves and relaxes your muscles, and it I started to take it Friday evening, and I have had NO pain, NO bleeding since!!!!! It's so awesome! I cancelled today's appointment with my CRS because I want to give it another 2-3 weeks before he prods me again, just to give it more time to heal. My next appointment is on Jan 23. I REALLY hope there is some indication of healing by then, otherwise I don't know what I'll do!!!! But, I do believe I'm now on the right track. I'll keep you posted!!!
Thanks for all your kind words and your support!!
G.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 03 Jan 2007, 18:52

G,
Just be careful as that is actually some pretty potent stuff. As a mineral, your body only needs X amount of it, more than that will cause health issues.
I'd also be on guard angainst laxative dependancy.
That said, I might try it myself, anything that will help make the "passage" more lubed and speedy.
hugh
Deleted User 5

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?