Genevi

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Genevi

Postby Guest » 03 Jan 2007, 22:28

Great stuff G,
but I agree with Hugh, def dont stay on it indefinitely, as too much will casue probs.
Hugh, re the laxative dependency, sorbitol the softener I take is not bowel dependant. although i still dont want to stay on it forever just incase!! Image

in bad shape

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2007, 08:42

Hey folks,
I'm sorry to report that things are back to the way they were with the fissure. The magnesium worked wonderfully for two weeks - I thought I was on my way to being healed - but then for no reason, the pain and bleeding came back about 3 days ago. This morning it was pretty bad, lots of bleeding and sharp pain. It felt the same as it did before the surgery. This surgery has not worked for me.
I'm starting to feel very discouraged and depressed. I mean, I tried EVERYTHING!! I changed my entire diet around so that I could get my 30g of fiber every day. I have been careful not to eat spicy foods and not to drink alcohol. I gave up coffee. I meditate. I take the magnesium and other supplements. I switched to lactose-free milk. I had surgery for God's sake!!! Just yesterday, I decided I needed more exercise so I went to the gym at lunch and walked on the treadmill for 20 mins. I felt great after, but today this whole thing has brought me down again. Nothing works! I want my life back… I want to be able to enjoy being intimate without worrying, and I want to have a glass of wine with dinner, and I want to eat steak and I want to be able to work out and lift weights. But mostly, I want to be able to go about my daily activities without pain!
I have an appointment with the colorectal surgeon on Jan 23 and I know he'll recommend another surgery. To be honest, I don't feel comfortable with him. I don't know if I told you guys this, but when I went in for my surgery I had second thoughts and I started crying because I was scared, and he basically just told me to hurry up and make up my mind because other people were waiting. He didn't comfort me at all, or show the least bit of empathy. His nurse was even worse, she talked down to me like I was a child. And the surgery itself… omg the freezing was so excruciatingly painful, I don't know if I can do that again. Plus, how do I know this surgery will work if the other one didn't??
I don't know what to do anymore. I'm out of patience. The fact that my body refuses to heal is creeping me out. I've emailed my naturopath and asked her for advice, she's pretty much the only doctor who has been kind enough to listen and who has helped me feel better (even if it was temporarily).
Sigh.
Thanks for being there guys.
G.

Postby happyass » 12 Jan 2007, 09:40

oh G.
i am sorry for your trials and tribulations still.
i think there are many components to healing. you are doing your part. you got the surgery. and now you are stuck with a not caring doctor who will be there for you and that nurse doesn't sound like a good one either.
i bet if you had a more caring professional and medical support, this would be a bit different.
instead of going back to him, is there a way you can seek out another doctor. in the meantime, is there anything that you can get to help you control the pain?
the changes in your diet seem great so i would hate to see that go to waste.
you'll need at least a good 6-8 weeks recovery and then some.
i am sure you are on the right track. keep meditating, thinking healing thoughts, do your work outs - maybe not so strenuous yet - and eating right and being a bit more gentle on yourself.
prayers for you.
gareth
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2007, 11:27

Thank you so much, Gareth. It's hard to keep going when all my efforts seem to be in vain. I'm really discouraged... this morning when I saw all that blood, I just cried my eyes out right there on the toilet.
I'm going to take your advice and ask for a second referral to get a second opinion. At this point, some care and empathy from a doctor would go a long way.
Thanks again,
G.

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2007, 16:31

MAN G.. I FEEL FOR YOU ..SO BAD....I FIND THIS ALL A MESS ...SOME HEAL SOME DONT..SOME HAVE THIS MEDS AND SOME HAVE THAT....//
ITS STILL PISSES ME OFF THAT THEY DONT HAVE A SIMPLE CURE FOR THIS..
I NEVER REALIZED HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE THIS PROBLEM.//
HANG IN THERE.. NOW STOP READING THIS AND SOAK IN THE HOT TUB... NO SOAP!!!....
WISH YOU WELL MY FRIEND.
THE GIZ

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Jan 2007, 12:33

G,
HANG IN THERE, KITTY!!

Please check ALL your medications and foods and MAKE SURE you aren't taking/eating anything that thins your blood.

You might even consider finding some way to un-thin (thicken) your blood a bit (if that is safe).

I SO feel for you! I have been in your shoes and I know the despair.

I might also suggest that once you find a good, three meal a day diet that keeps your stools the right consistency...eat the same thing everyday (take supplements). In other words, try not varying what you eat for several days. This should give your bowels the opportunity to be consistent.

You may even want to try squatting instead of sitting to crap. Gareth does it, I used to do it some.

You problem now, it seems, is that even though you've had the surgery, the fissure isn't healing and we need to figure out why that is?

Don't feel alone, my fissure hasn't healed yet, either, but I am so much better (no pain and I can sit now)

Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Jan 2007, 12:36

G,
Go HERE

http://www.caringmedical.com/media/article.asp?article_id=445

for a list of food that thin

and thicken

your blood.

Hugh
Deleted User 5

sigh

Postby Guest » 29 Jan 2007, 12:49

Hi folks!
Sorry it's been a while! I'm getting married in April so there's lots to do and I'm busy as hell. It's all good though!
Fissure is still there. The pain varies from day to day: sometimes it's sharp and very painful, other times it just chafes. It's never hurts after a BM though, only during. And there's always blood.
I went to see the same colorectal guy on the 23rd and he was much more pleasant and thorough this time around. He did an anoscope and found a bit of irritation. The fissure is still there but apparently it looks "less angry". Here's a strange thing: rectal exams, including scopes, don't hurt me at all!! Just BMs. Which makes me think there's something in the stool that irritates the area. Maybe a food allergy?
My colorectal guy referred me to another doctor in the same clinic for a second opinion. I'm going to see him tomorrow. Apparently this guy is one of the top surgeons in my city. I'm looking forward to getting his opinion on the matter.
Hope all of you are doing well. Gareth - I did go see an energy healer and it helped a bit, but not really. I'm thinking more a placebo effect than anything.
Will update tomorrow!
Cheers,
G.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 Jan 2007, 13:00

G,
If your CRS knows where the fissure is, he's probably careful how he inserts the scope/probe thingy. That's a guess. I doubt it's food allergies. Are you eating peanuts or popcorn, anything that doesn't digest?
Some fruits simply cause a looser stool, but you aren't complaining of burning...
Have you tried vaseline -- lubing the area around your anus? That helps some folks.
Also, try mineral oil for just a day or two (if you haven't already) & see if that smooths the passage (?)
Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby happyass » 29 Jan 2007, 21:06

here's hoping to good news for you G.....good luck with second opinion.
are you eating anything acidic?
are you eating nuts as hugh asked?
are you drinking your water, keeping the intake enough to keep it moist?
i know i am more sensitive with my poop coming out if i am stressed or not happy. if i am more relaxed or happy with the day, i have good experiences.
are you straining at all?
well, at least you tried the energy healer....but even if you found some relief, it would be worth to go again. i am a big believer in acupunture and i am going to start again soon......after a car accident i was in last weekend...... Image ......
okay, keep us informed....
AND CONGRATS ON THE APRIL WEDDING......THAT'S WONDERFUL NEWS
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?