Genevi

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Genevi

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Jan 2007, 13:02

Gareth,
Car Accident? :shock: Are U OK?
Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 22 Feb 2007, 20:49

Hi Genevieve - I see you're from Canada as well. May I ask which clinic you went to? I have an appointment at the Rudd (Toronto) in March. Wonder if it's the same one...
Robin

Rudd clinic

Postby Guest » 25 Feb 2007, 16:42

Hi there FisherKing - yes it's the Rudd clinic I've been going to. I didn't like Dr. Sternthal too much, mainly because of his poor bedside manners. But I've been seeing Dr. Smith now and he's great. If I understand correctly, the Rudd clinic is the leading centre for colon and rectal problems in Toronto. I'd say we're in good hands!
As most of you know by now, I've had an LIS which was not successful and have gone back to the same clinic for a second opinion. Well, last Thursday I had a second procedure done at this clinic to try and get that damn fissure to heal. It was a very quick procedure called a small anal stretch to deal with some scar tissue that had accumulated in the area and that was preventing healing/causing pain. I had reservations about anal stretch as I had read that this can cause incontinence, but the surgeon was aware of that and assured me that he would only stretch a tiny bit, and that he was positive it wouldn't cause any incontinence at all. He did not want to perform a second LIS because he thought this would perhaps create some form of incontinence, and he said the fissure was too superficial to warrant a second surgery. Dr. Smith (who is unfortunately being relocated to a Mississauga clinic in April) was very professional and very thorough, and has a good sense of humour. I was very comfortable with him.
So last Thursday I went in for the anal stretch. Of course this required local anasthesia, and as you know this feels like hell, so I was scared. However Dr. Smith gave me twice as much Demerol (weee!!!) and was very gentle. It hurt, but not as much. And I slept for the rest of the time.
Today is Day 3 post-surgery and although I still have a bit of pain and very minimal bleeding, things are feeling better. I recovered much more quickly from the stretch procedure (I could sit comfortably with no pain two days later). I am also applying some sort of vaseline-like anti-irritation ointment 3 times daily, because I apparently had lots of irritation down there. I am also on a strict anti-irritating diet. No spices, coffee, red wine, red meat, acidic foods, etc etc. And no problems with continence. I can control everything, wind included.
So, there you go! This is where I'm at. I feel positive and ready to heal. I think it's my time to heal, after dealing with so many procedures and pain.
I'll write you more soon!! Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement.
G

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Feb 2007, 18:59

It's good to hear that many doctors haven't given up on the dilation technique. More options....

Hang in there and do what they say -- I'm glad you found someone you're comfortable with! :cheer: Thats a small victory!

Keep us posted, I do believe you're the forum's first dilation!Image

Hugh Image
Last edited by Deleted User 5 on 28 Feb 2007, 20:51, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 25 Feb 2007, 19:38

Hi Genevieve - thanks for your doctor recommendation. I just hope I don't show up there and have the receptionist say, "Dr. Sternthal is waiting for you." I'll see if I can get Dr. Smith instead. Maybe it's worth calling the office first.
Glad to hear your dilation went OK. I hope it helps, and you're healing very soon!
Robin

Postby Guest » 05 Mar 2007, 15:15

Hey Genevieve - I was supposed to have my first appointment at the clinic on Wednesday, but they just called to postpone it to next Monday. I'm trying to figure out if they will do the surgery on the spot at that appointment, or whether I'll need to come back for another one. The woman booking the appointment was suitably noncommittal, so I thought I'd check with you. What was your experience? Sounds like you had the choice of doing it or not on your first appointment. I'm just trying to get my life organized around the possibility of surgery on Monday, and looking forward to the day when I don't have to organize my life around the fissure, period!
Robin, with fingers crossed that it will be Dr. Smith! Image
P.S. How are you doing? Did the dilation help?

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?