Good & Bad Foods (my experiences)

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Good & Bad Foods (my experiences)

Postby Cheryl » 07 Nov 2006, 04:47

Like probably all of you, I LOVE my food, having to restrict myself has been hard, but I believe I have suffered long enough with my fissure to have figured out exactly what foods I can and can't eat.
Please note that these are based on my experiences only and may not work for everyone.. however the only way I found all of these is by advice from others, and a long process of elimination! I hope this can be of some help for you.
If you have any more suggestions, pls feel free to add to this thread!
NO NO's:
SPICY FOODS
Burns and itches fissure upon exit
NUTS AND GRAINS/SEEDS
Dont seem to fully digest, can cause immense pain upon exit.
RED MEAT & CHEESE
Very binding and causes constipation
JUNK FOOD
This may just be particular to me, but I find junk food or just fatty foods mess with my stomach, causing irregular BM's, constipation or diareah.
CORN
Doesnt digest and are like bullets on exit
SOME VEGIES
potatoes bind me up, apples cause me severe stomach irriation, leading to diareah.. perhaps to acidic?
COFFEE
Coffee triggers an immediate BM, I've read that coffee forces food to leave the stomach prematurely and also slows down the motion of the intestines. Undigested food in a slowly functioning intestinal tract is a major contributor to constipation.
PASTAS & NOODLES
Very Binding - this was my hardest food to give up!
Make sure, though, that you are still getting plenty of protein, which is important for wound healing. I read on another forum that protein is he "cement" the body uses for healing.
OK, now the GOOD FOODS!!
My # 1 recommendation is WATER, and lots of it!!!
Keeps BM's regular and fluffy
Regualr meals - stay in routine!
WHOLEMEAL & CEREALS
Wholmeal bread, weetbix, oatmeal all very good in fibre and very good or you!
FRUITS
My fave is pears, but they have to be really ripe and soft! Watermelon is also very good. Peaches, nectarines, and apricots are good. Also kiwifruit.. seeds are not a problem.
If you need to gain weight, avocados are excellent they contain lots of fibre and good fats.
VEGETABLES
As much as you can! BUT very well cooked - SOFT!! I would say that probably 80% of my diet are vegetables.
Its a bit repetitive, but I usually do Butternut Pumpkin, Broccolli, Beans, peas, Snow Peas, Zuchinni and carrots.
FISH
I eat fish nearly everyday (grilled) not only alot of protien, but good for soft BM's and I also read good for the BRAIN!!
EGG WHITES
A good source of protein without the dangers of red meat
and diary.
FIBRE
recommended, 25-35g each day.
We need both soluble and insoluble fibre.
Soluble fibre holds the most water, so it's particularly important for fissure and hemorrhoid sufferers. Insoluble fibre keeps things moving. Most foods contain both soluble and insoluble fibre, but be aware that some good sources of soluble fibre are oat bran, whole oats, beans, and all fruits (pears, especially) and vegetables. Good sources of insoluble fibre are wheat bran, whole grains, beans, and most fruits and vegetables. Carrots are a particularly good source of both kinds of fiber, but some people have reported trouble with them. I was recommended to grate them and add them to salads, and this is good.
I was told to use Metamucil by the doctor.
Psyllium is soluble fibre and, we need soluble fibre. However, these supplements contain other ingredients, such as citric acid, that may cause us problems to some people.
Psyllium fibre supplements are not medication; they're just fibre, and they will not make your bowel lazy.
I strongly encourage sufferers to, get as much of their fibre from fruit, vegetables, and wholemeal foods rather than from metamucil.
A sandwich and a glass of Metamucil can have the same amount of fibre as a piece of fruit and a bowl of oatmeal, but the two may produce very different BM's.
FATS & OILS
A diet without fat can cause constipation and fissures, so obviously it is not a good idea to eliminate fat from your diet. But you don't want to be getting your fat from stuff like cheese and steak. "Quality lubricants," such as natural olive and Flaxseed oil. Avoid processed oils. Cold-pressed oils are supposed to be the best. Avocado also is a good fat.
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22