Good News

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Good News

Postby cherylk » 13 Jun 2008, 11:30

Guys and gals,
I don't know where to put this, so I decided to make a new topic. Several of us are discouraged and/or worried at the moment, so I wanted to share a bit of good news:
Last week I called the CRS at Mayo that examined me a year ago. I also talked with her several weeks ago to get her opinion on the ointment I am using right when I started it after it was prescribed by my local CRS. At any rate, I had not heard back from the Mayo CRS and I told my husband that I didn't think I would hear back from her again. But, she called me last night. Seems that she had been out of town for a meeting. I asked her about Botox at Mayo. She has only been there a year but told me they have been doing it at Mayo for a couple of years and that it was first done in the UK. She said they would have to use an anoscope to check for a fissure before administering the Botox to the patient while asleep. But she said that if a fissure is seen using the anoscope, they stop the exam. I am finishing up my 8th week on the Diliatzem ointment, and she also indicated that I should be able to continue the ointment for another month safely. She said patients can develop sensitivity to the ointment after using it an extended period of time. She will be leaving in another couple of months because she is a fellow in training. I really liked her and hope to know where she goes afterwards.
Also, for those of you on Miralax. I had an appointment with my holistic family doc yesterday. She said that many people on Miralax have trouble regulating the dosage for constipation as the med can cause loose stools, so at least I am not the only one with this predicament. She also thought this support group is a good idea as the AF problem (as we know) is common, but is rarely discussed with others. That is my small bit of good news.
To health,
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: Good News

Postby happyass » 13 Jun 2008, 11:38

hi cheryl,
so do you think you want to do botox?
that's good news about your cream and that you can use it a bit longer.
i don't know...my CRS (who i am thankful for) always believed that one should remedy the issues of the arse without all these OTC fiber supplements - that we really should be trying to get all our needs met through food. he never once said to use metamucil, citrocel, or miralax - as these can have negative consequences in the long run and the body can get use to them.
i know - it sounds like he should be a scientologist since they don't believe in medications - but despite all that, i did try some colace for a bit.
i have seen the new commercials for miralax and i finally think i saw one geared towards men. from what i see, it looks like a good one to use.
congrats on the good news and update.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 13 Jun 2008, 13:01

Heres to good news !!
Glad you are doing so well Cheryl :)

Postby cherylk » 13 Jun 2008, 15:33

Personally, I think there is a little poison in every substance including Metamucil and Miralax and many of the foods (and water) we eat. In my opinion, if Miralax were such a wonderful anecdote to constipation, I shouldn't have such a hard time regulating the correct amount and should not vacillate between the two extremes at times. It puts a big burden on a lay person such as myself to try to know the correct dosage at all times when a "standard" dosage per se does not work that well for me on a regular basis. I think your CRS is probably a wise person
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 15 Jun 2008, 19:00

Cheryl that is great to hear. Botox is helping me, along with my fiber and Colace. Let me know if you have any questions about Botox in th future.
Patty

Postby cherylk » 15 Jun 2008, 19:16

Thanks Patty!! Were you awake when your Botox was administered??
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 15 Jun 2008, 19:50

Metamucil is pure plant fiber - no toxins there of any kind except if maybe some cow pooped on it before it was collected ...
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2008, 06:23

Cheryl,
I was put out for my botox shots. They brought me to the OR beucase insurance will not cover it in the office. Go figure. Let me know what happens.
Patty

Postby cherylk » 16 Jun 2008, 07:40

Hey Patty,
I will be put out also if I have Botox. Do you think it helped and have you only had it once? I had Botox on my face several years ago, but I know this would be different. Those shots hurt!!
Do you think you are healed after having the Botox?? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.
Thanks,
C
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2008, 18:11

Cheryl,
I have had Botox 3 times. Yes! I am doing well. I have a chronic fissure so it will take along time to heal. The shot it self did not hurt even after I woke up I felt nothing. My first BM was not to bad after either.
Patty