green pea, fennel, butter lettuce soup

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

green pea, fennel, butter lettuce soup

Postby Turk the cat » 02 Dec 2014, 16:56

I had surgery the other day and this soup is my secret weapon to quicker healing. Fancy & easy plus, so yummy!

I tweak the recipe by using 3 cups of chicken broth and no added water. Makes six servings.

Green Pea, Lettuce, and Fennel Soup

Salad isn't the only way to serve lettuce in a bowl; here, it lightens up pea soup and adds some texture to make every spoonful extra satisfying. This soup was inspired by one I had when I was in London during the Olympics.
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium fennel bulb, chopped (about 2 cups), fronds reserved for garnish
2 large shallots, chopped
1 medium head Bibb lettuce, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
1 package frozen petite peas (10 oz)
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add fennel and shallots. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, 6 to 7 minutes.
2. Add lettuce and stir until it wilts, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in peas, broth, and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until vegetables are just tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Transfer to a blender, add fennel seeds, and puree until smooth. Return soup to the pot over low heat, add the salt and pepper, and thin with water if too thick. When heated, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with fennel fronds.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: green pea, fennel, butter lettuce soup

Postby Scientist2516 » 02 Dec 2014, 18:07

Oh wow, that sounds delicious!
I've got a big pot of turkey bones boiling away to make broth. I already have the shallots and peas. I'll have to run out and get some lettuce and fennel!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Re: green pea, fennel, butter lettuce soup

Postby Turk the cat » 08 Dec 2014, 16:03

Hi Scientist. Did you try the soup? I didn't get an emailed heads up someone had replied to my post.

I believe you do a lot of home cookery. The ONLY good thing to come out of my problem with hem's/fissure is how I've become pretty adept at cooking soups (most of which I puree) and other healthy foods. I don't know what I did in my past life to deserve it, but my husband is the cook in our family, and he enjoys it. He's making a cauliflower soup tonight.

I was just re-reading the recent post about kefir which is one of my new faves. I've known about for years, but until recently, it tasted too "gagga-licious" I believe, may not bethe scientific term. I want to try Nancy's brand, recently we've just picked up Canadian Liberte brand, mango flavour, which is really delicious but chuck full of sugars (24 grams!) which kind of defeats the healthiness of the snack. They also have a more natural kefir with only 4 grams sugar.

Or, perhaps I'll start to make kefir myself. Yipes.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather