Has anyone tried botox injection?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Has anyone tried botox injection?

Postby Cinderella » 11 Mar 2007, 05:07

Dear All! :D
I have not had so much time to write because my baby keeps me so busy..
My fissure has healed very much but not probably. Nowadays my fissure has bad and good periods. Usually the good period lasts abouts two weeks and during that time I do not have pain at all, just some feeling that there is something in my bott and little itch but I can live nearly normally. Image
Then I have also bad periods but those lasts from 2 to 4 days and usually I do not need to take any pain killers. I have some pain during BM and little pain afterwards but the pain is not bad but annoying.
I have considered to get botox injection. As I have understood it has the same affet as the surgery but it will not last more than three months.
Do you have any experience of this treatment method or do you know something about it? I would not like to go to surgery because my situation has improved so much. However I would like to overcome this problem.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Has anyone tried botox injection?

Postby Guest » 11 Mar 2007, 11:51

Glad to hear you are making improvements and having some relief from your fissure. Motherhood definitely keeps you busy-that is for sure!
I talked to my doctor this week about botox and she doesn't have any plans for now to incorporate it into her practice. She feels that the idea has not been developed enough in terms of dosage and placement of the drug. It is also not covered readily by insurance companies which poses another barrier too. I am sure there are doctors that do offer this but it has been my experience that is is not widespread here yet. I do have to mention I live in an area where change is very slow though so I am not in the best part of the US for new, emerging therapies.
I know others on here are eager to learn more and find someone who can provide more personal information on their experience too. As far as I know we don't have anyone on here that has had this done although others are interested like you so we would love to chat with others who have had this done too.
Hopefully, someone will come along soon.....
Thanks for checking in and congratulations on your progress!
Lecia

re botox

Postby Guest » 15 Mar 2007, 20:09

I had botox on Feb 8th 2007 and am healing well so far. I go back in 3 weeks dr hopes it is a done deal then. If it is not he will give me additional shots of botox. I also had a fistulotomy and that is what is taking the most time to heal. I really couldnt even tell you I had anything wrong, i feel so good this week. I am very hopeful that my butt will back to normal.

Postby Cheryl » 16 Mar 2007, 06:35

Sorry I dont know much about botox...
all i can suggest is asking more doctors
Goodluck
Cheryl
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Guest » 16 Mar 2007, 12:13

Hey JDD,
Glad to hear you are doing so well. Can you tell us more about the botox? How does it feel afterwards? Do you have any problems with sensation like knowing when you need to go to the bathroom and actually going?
Where are you from? My CRS doesn't know of anyone who does botox in the southeast yet so I am just wondering.
Thanks for any insight you can provide on this procedure. I know there are quite a few boardies who would love to hear about your experience!
Thanks and congrats on your improvement!
Lecia

Postby Guest » 16 Mar 2007, 22:36

I dont know what to say about the afterwards part because botox was in addition to the fissurectomy I had and the fistulotomy. I am told that if I am not completely well on my next visit I will be getting another round of botox. As far as I can tell, it just paralyzes the muscles so that I no longer spasm. I am not in pain. I can poop when I want. I dont poop when I dont want to. I am taking my fiber orange drink stuff, and pooping is now a 30 second process.
I live in Northern Illinois near ROCKFORD, IL that is where my surgeon is located. He is a CRS and is very interested in fissures and fistulas and is informally known as the "assman" .
If your thinking about botox, I say, "Give it a shot"