Has Botox ever healed anyone?

Leaning towards getting the procedure done

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Has Botox ever healed anyone?

Postby Newmommy28 » 18 Jul 2014, 08:23

Hi, Everyone!

So it's going on 10 months (approx) since I've had this fissure. The first 4 were horrific, but things started getting much better I would say in April--until I had a retear. I've tried nitroglycerin, nifedepine, and diltiazem-- none of them really made much difference. It wasn't until I started Miralax every night that things really started improving. Anyway, I saw a colorectal doctor last month who said my fissure was really small and looked like it would be gone in 6 months. Then I got another opinion from a new doctor on the 9th who said he had a hard time locating it because it was so small! I started weaning myself off Miralax on Sunday (been doing a half dose) and being SUPER careful with diet and water. Everything was great until this morning. Another retear. I'm hoping it's not as bad but still… I've gone back on the nitroglycerin and am praying it isn't as bad as before.

Anyway the last doc I spoke with recommended I do Botox before thinking about LIS (that was when things looked much better than today, I'm sure!). I have read a lot on Botox on this forum about how it didn't work. I'm wondering if anyone has actually healed just from doing this alone? Also, any negative side effects and about how long do they last?

Many thanks for the info. I hope everyone's having a great day. :)
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Has Botox ever healed anyone?

Postby JHH » 18 Jul 2014, 09:07

Yeah. Botox healed me. Had it June last year, and no retear ever since.
I think it works best for those who are almost able to heal by themself and just need the last push.
Even if it does not work, it usually helps with the pain. No side effects for me btw.

Good much!
J
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Apes » 18 Jul 2014, 18:11

Also had Botox about 70 days ago, believe I'm healed only have an annoying sentinel tag, but it's not painful just annoying. I believe Botox is good if there are no other complications down there. Would recommend getting Botox in that case before surgery. Side effects pass wind unexpected sometimes, and when I have the urge to go I need to get to a bathroom quickly. Both those side effects should stop when the Botox wears off. Sounds like you may be a good candidate. Higher doses of Botox improve the chances of healing. I had 72 units, 30 on each side a 12 in the the fissure itself. Good luck
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Newmommy28 » 18 Jul 2014, 18:44

Thanks for the info! I'm leaning this way. Although not being able to control passing wind kind of scares me!
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Apes » 18 Jul 2014, 19:35

It's not that bad. An occasional sneeze maY force one out.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Newmommy28 » 18 Jul 2014, 20:53

About how long does the Botox last?
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Asore Arseagain » 19 Jul 2014, 04:57

Hi Botox definately worked for me. I had a previous fissure which i had LIS for, so this time they wanted to be cautious and use botox. I was in agony with my fissure. After the botox my surgeon said that it had been a big tear and so i may need to have another round of botox, but i didnt need another round the botox worked for the fissure-whoopee!!!, def recommend it. I wrote a diary...heres the link botox-diary-t6765.html
I am just dealing with a fistula now that i have lived with for many yrs, i glad i finally took the plunge with surgery for this too.....as i think its going to healed...its going well :-) AA
Asore Arseagain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Apes » 19 Jul 2014, 07:25

I would say botox can last up to 3 months, but ask your doctor.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Newmommy28 » 22 Jul 2014, 13:24

Thanks for the responses!

My other question is what does it feel like down there? Is it very numb? And right after the procedure is there any pain? I tend to stay away from any drugs and stick to homeopathic as much as possible so needless to say injecting a toxin doesn't sounds super pleasant to me!
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Apes » 22 Jul 2014, 13:35

I was pretty sore for a few days, it can take 7 days before in kicks in totally. My first BM was unpleasant but i think that had more to do with the anesthesia. After it kicks in it is not numb, the pain greatly reduced. Initially the pain changed for me. it went from the pre-botox pain, pain after BM lasting for hours, to more of stinging during the BM but subsiding quickly. That stinging disappeared soon after. It got so I could actually feel the BM pass over the fissure with no pain or discomfort. I hope that helps.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP