Hello!...AF sufferer hoping to avoid surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hello!...AF sufferer hoping to avoid surgery

Postby William » 27 Oct 2009, 08:35

cherylk wrote:I am not familiar with analpram. Is that a pain med???

Pain relief and anti-inflammatory, from my understanding. From some comments on the forum, it sounds like it doesn't do anything for the AF and can actually keep it from healing. Sure made me feel better, though.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby afugh!! » 27 Oct 2009, 14:25

I read somewhere in here that analpram has hydrocortisone in it for the anti-inflammatory which is bad for AF when used longer than 2 weeks because prolonged use causes the skin to thin.As long as your not getting a lot of tightness down there a nitrile exam glove will do for the application for diltiazem.My doctor also told me to put the nitro up a centimeter and rim it which should be the same for diltiazem.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby William » 28 Oct 2009, 06:33

Great, now I'm getting a hemorrhoid. Image
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Grover » 28 Oct 2009, 20:30

Hi I am new to this forum. I would like what foods to avoid and what foods can help. I dont want to do surgery and want to control my diet
Grover

Postby cherylk » 29 Oct 2009, 01:24

I think that there is a thread with info about foods. Check the sticky thread that Kim keeps at the beginning of one of the sections.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby William » 30 Oct 2009, 06:51

I'm so depressed. I was doing really well after my six weeks on analpram (with only minor itching and irritation), but now I'm almost back to square one.
I started diltiazem last week and reduced the analpram significantly. At first, I was concerned that applying the diltiazem was agitating the AF, since I was having slightly more irritation (I use finger cots to apply). I got through about a week without too much trouble, but then a "normal" (not hard, not soft) BM seems to have re-injured me. I've started using Nupercainal, which helps a lot with the pain, but I still feel that I might be hurting myself while applying medicine. It doesn't seem logical, since I basically lube the cot with the Nupercainal, but sometimes I feel a little sting down there while I'm applying.
At this point, I'm not sure exactly what to do. I guess I'll keep using the finger cots to apply the Nupercainal, diltiazem, and a small amount of analpram and hope that I'm not doing damage. Maybe the diltiazem will start helping soon.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 30 Oct 2009, 07:22

I would suggest using a small applicator (such as what comes with anusol) to apply the ointment. An A/D might help you with your depression.
cherylk
VIP

Postby William » 30 Oct 2009, 07:52

cherylk wrote:I would suggest using a small applicator (such as what comes with anusol) to apply the ointment.

Sorry, I missed it when you said that previously.
How do you use it with medicines that it doesn't attach to, especially the diltiazem that is just a gel in a tub?
cherylk wrote:An A/D might help you with your depression.

Although I won't claim to not actually suffer from mild depression, I was really just referring to the situation. Anyway, my short experience with A/Ds is that they don't help enough to be worth it.
P. S. I appreciate all of the help.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 30 Oct 2009, 08:26

I've been on an A/D since last year, which has helped me immensely, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am thinking about stopping it soon because I don't think I need it any longer, and it costs me $35/monthly.
I screw my applicator on top of the ointment tube. They gave me a longer applicator with the ointment, but I was not very successful using that, and it had a "harder" edge to it. The applicator I use is smooth/rounded, and I put some of the diliatzem on the tip/end of it to aid with insertion. It was my own idea to use the anusol applicator, which I already had received with the anusol ointment. I don't know if pharmacies or other places sell them or not.
It also helps to try to relax and believe that the ointment is going to heal you. Maybe even pray or meditate b/4 and/or after using the ointment. The mind is very powerful, and I think it is important to believe the therapy you are using is going to help you! You also might have pelvic floor dysfunction like I did! Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Postby William » 30 Oct 2009, 12:01

cherylk wrote:I've been on an A/D since last year, which has helped me immensely, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am thinking about stopping it soon because I don't think I need it any longer, and it costs me $35/monthly.

I didn't mean to imply that they don't help, just that they didn't help me enough to be worth it. Everybody's different. $35/month sounds like a small price to pay for the help you're getting.
cherylk wrote:I screw my applicator on top of the ointment tube.

I should've figured that out (duh). My difficulty is that the Nupercainal doesn't have an applicator, or a way to attach one. Ideally, I'd like to find a small tube with an opening big enough to put all my medicine in and then attach one of my analpram applicators. Maybe I can figure out a way to rig something up. Or just start using anusol instead. Image
William
Proctosphincteranalogist