Hello all

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello all

Postby AngelsTrumpet » 17 Sep 2014, 17:14

Hello all; I'm so sorry you all are dealing with (or have dealt with) this problem. My AF happened after a stressful few months, followed by a course of antibiotics that I probably didn't need. Going number 2 has always been extremely easy for me; I don't know why. I've gone twice a day for 99% of my life, and until I turned 30, I had no concept of what it meant to be constipated. So maybe this is a lesson in taking things for granted....I'm not sure. :( But I don't think I compensated properly for the antibiotics, and it has messed my GI tract up pretty badly.

Anyway, I didn't even know this thing had a name until I found this forum. And let me just say: this is the worst thing I think I've ever had to go through in my life. It feels stupid to say that, but it's awful. The past few days of it have been agonizing, and when I realized that it could go on for so much longer, I felt like crying my eyes out.

Today has felt like the worst day so far. I'm not sure that the pain has actually been worse today (in fact, I didn't have any bleeding; so that's a plus), or if I'm just worn out from bracing myself every time I need to use the restroom. My DH, who suffered from constipation and an AF as a teenager, tells me that this is just a part of life. But having never dealt with this particular part of life, I guess I'm just feeling depressed and unprepared. I just got over a nasty case of tonsillitis, to top things off, so I feel like my body is being abused from the inside out.

I haven't been to the doctor yet, as I just moved to a new state and am really not fond of the GP I've been seeing. I'm not sure if I should go or not; that's part of why I'm here, I guess. To get some insight and learn from people who know what this is like. I'm not sure how to tell how bad it is, or if it will go away on its own or not.

Thanks for being so willing to talk about something so humbling, guys. I'm glad you're here. =)
AngelsTrumpet

Topics: 1

Re: Hello all

Postby Alyssa » 17 Sep 2014, 18:24

Angel,

The sooner you begin to treat this thing the better; you should get a referral to a colon rectal surgeon so they can prescribe you medication to heal this thing. In the meantime, try doing sitz baths right after having a bm.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby mmklinemm » 17 Sep 2014, 20:14

Antibiotics caused mine, too. I'm sorry you're having such a bad time. We all have very dark thoughts when the pain is at it's worst. I'm so sorry to say that until you can get a handle on what helps/aggravates your fissure, it's going to be rough. Definitely go see a colorectal surgeon as soon as possible. GPs usually don't diagnose or treat fissures properly. Until you can see a CRS and get a prescription ointment, your best bet is to read through the diaries and success stories. There is a lot of great advice and supportive people here. I now know more about my bum than I ever thought possible. My best advice for now is to take ibuprofen as soon as you wake up, take a hot bath or sitz bath after your BM, use a heating pad/hot water bottle during the day, put your feet up on a foot stool in the bathroom, try applying coconut oil. I tried all the magic miracle potions in the beginning, and coconut oil was the most soothing. Feel free to vent, cry, ask questions, whatever gets you through the worst part if this horrible, painful initial stage.
:smilyhug:
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby Scientist2516 » 18 Sep 2014, 08:47

Definitely see a CRS. Get nifedipine, diltiazem or nitroglycerine. Some CRS's prescribe one, some another, but whatever you get, if it doesn't help within a month, ask to switch to another. NG can cause headaches, but for me it was the most effective by far (and luckily my headaches were very slight).

In the meantime, MM is spot on with her advice. Heat, stool softeners, ibuprofen, squatting or semi-squatting on the toilet - these will all help you.

Good luck! You will get through this............let us know how you get on.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby AngelsTrumpet » 18 Sep 2014, 09:11

Thanks, friends. Your support means a lot!
AngelsTrumpet

Topics: 1

Postby msimon » 18 Sep 2014, 17:58

Hi Angel. I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. You are in good company here. I hope you find something that helps you heal real soon.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Savaici » 18 Sep 2014, 19:10

A very big welcome to the forum, Angel. Not the place you want to be usually, but very glad you found us.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222