Hello everyone

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello everyone

Postby mnmom » 17 Oct 2007, 21:32

Hello all
Within the last couple weeks I felt a bump when I was wiping. I thought it was just a hemmorhoid and basically ignored it, but some days it would feel a bit more irritated than others. So a few days ago I decided to get out my 10x magnifying mirror and take a look at it. Because of the 10x magnification it looked like I had a huge growth protruding from my butt and I thought what in the world is that!! I spread my buttocks a bit and noticed a cut above the bump. So then I went online and did a search and found all of this information on anal fissures and figured that must be what I have. And the bump I am assuming is a sentinel pile. Interesting terminology in this anal fissure world!
I have a doctor appointment tomorrow to get a true diagnosis of what I have, but I am pretty sure it is an anal fissure. But the crazy thing is that I don't have any pain or bleeding. Once in a while it may itch a bit, but that is about it. Actually the sentinel pile skin tag is what is giving me the most trouble! It hurts if I bump it when wiping and mostly it just makes me feel gross to have this thing protruding from my butt!! It really isn't that big, but in my mind it is huge!!
I have been doing so much online research on hemorrhoids and anal fissures the last few days ... I think I probably know it all!! A few days ago, I started drinking aloe vera juice because it is supposed to heal the intestinal lining and colon wall. My diet is already almost vegetarian and I drink a lot of water, take metamucil, and flaxseed ... so I don't know how I would have gotten this in the first place! I have read the some people have been using athlete's foot treatment on their anal fissures. I have to wonder if fungus could in fact be the underlying cause of anal fissures. Another interesting thing is that previous to this flare-up of mine, I was on a 12-day herbal parasite cleanse with a product called K-min and this is when this whole thing flared up for me. I have also read some people say that they have seen worms in their bulging hemorrhoids. I have to wonder if there is a connection.
I have my doctor appointment tomorrow, so I will know more after that. I am very anxious about the appointment and what they might find. The only person I have told about this is my friend who is a nurse. I was so anxious and obsessed and pretty much was mentally checking myself into the hospital for surgery and my friend had to calm me down. She told me to relax, that I don't even know for sure what this is yet!
This is a great board and I am so glad that I found it!! I will let you know what happens at the doctor!
Julie
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Hello everyone

Postby Guest » 18 Oct 2007, 06:08

Thats how my fissure started too, that is, with a small bump. I was misdiagnosed with a hemorhoid and the bump grew bigger and the pain started to increase. Its good that you are seeing a dr. quickly because it seems the earlier you start treating the fssure the easier it is to heal and you wont need to have surgery. I also think there was a yeast/fungal connection to my fissure, but when I applied anti-fungals it burned and made things worse.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 18 Oct 2007, 06:13

Hi Julie,
Fissures don't always cause pain, but I'm sure if left untreated, they get worse and then the pain sets in, which is about the most miserable pain you 'd ever have to endure. A large hard stool or severe diarrhea can turn a small cut into Bob, the Anal Fissure, the nastiest fellow you'd ever want to meet!
I think right now, everything hinges on what your physician finds. Let us know!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 18 Oct 2007, 07:13

Wow-it sounds like you have been very thorough in your research and already know AFspeak very well! That sounds like what you have. I know my sentinel pile was really painful and tender. I put aloe vera on it several times a day and seemed to soften it up and help it to heal. But I was convinced it was a hemorrhoid too because it feels pretty much like an external thrombosed hemorrhoid.
It sounds like diet wise you are on the right track. Were you diagnosed with a parasitic infection or possible exposed to one? I don't know much about that though. I do think the PH of that area can be sensitive and yeast, bacteria, fungi can all contribute to irritation though it seems that is one of the last things they check for (at least in my experience).
I am going to my CRS today for a check-up to see if there is anything that can explain the pain I am having or if is is just nerve pain left over from an injury.
Good luck with everything!
Lecia :$)$:

Postby mnmom » 18 Oct 2007, 11:42

I just got back from the doctor, a family practice doctor. She confirmed that there is a skin tag and that there is cut. But due to the absence of pain and bleeding, she did not actually diagnose it as a fissure. She asked if I have a family history of hemorrhoids or varicose veins. My Mom has really bad vericose veins and my brother has hemorrhoids. So she thinks it may be a hemorrhoid, but I really don't think it is. She said she couldn't really say what it was for sure, but she doesn't think it is a cause for concern at this point. I told her that the skin tag/sentinel pile is causing me a lot of anxiety and that no one wants to have something growing out of their butt! I feel relieved that she doesn't think it is serious, but at the same time I don't feel totally relieved. I am concerned that the sentinel pile will grow larger and cause me more discomfort.
As for the parasitic infection thing, I have worked with a naturopath in the past who said that there is more parasitic activity in the spring and fall and that those are good times to do a regimen to rid yourself of parasites. I still think there is a connection with me taking that supplement and the fissure/tag problem happening right after that. Maybe the parasites were leaving my body through the rectum and a few decided to set up shop there! Who knows! I think I may try the athlethe's foot cream. It makes sense to me since I have had cuts between my toes when I have had athlete's foot and this cut looks very similar. I read about a comfrey salve that I would like to try as well.
I am also going to continue with the aloe vera juice, which is actually helping another problem that I have which is stomach bloating. The bloating is much better since I have been on the aloe vera juice.
I feel a little confused right now. But I don't think we can always count on doctors. Sometimes we have to take control of our own health and look for alternative remedies.
What do you all think?
Julie
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 5 » 18 Oct 2007, 12:07

If cared for the skin tag should eventually re assimilate itself into the anal membrane. It will be more of an irritation until then, than anything.
I cannot speak at all for the potential parasite probelem (PPP!)
As for the fissure, just do not strain while on the toilet, make sure you continue to get plenty of water and fiber, and if you find your stools getting hard, take a stool softener.
You will probably be one of the lucky ones who just have a non-chronic fissure that should heal on it's on.
Let's hope so!!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 18 Oct 2007, 18:53

I know what you mean that doctors don't seem too alarmed when they see there is something hanging out of our butts like that. It drove me crazy when I had mine. I could hardly wear underwear without it getting irritated.
Like I said the aloe vera topically seemed to really help. I was told by my CRS that vitamin e can help as well.
Lecia :$)$:

Postby mnmom » 18 Oct 2007, 19:19

I just went to the store and bought some tinactin. I am going to try it tonight and hope it works and doesn't burn or irritate me!!
I called my sister tonight, who is a nurse, and was telling her my whole story and she even thinks that the tinactin will work. Then when she had to go, she said "I have to go. Call someone else and talk about your butt!!" At least I can enjoy a little humor.
Oh, and the other night I purchased a sitz bath tub at Walgreens and my son says really loud "what is that for?" I whispered to him "It's for butt problems." And in his loud voice again he says "Do you have butt problems?" He's so discreet!! haha
Thanks for the comments and support. I will let you know how the tinactin works.
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 18 Oct 2007, 19:34

Hope it helps! Yes, kids can be so forthcoming and LOUD!
I had to buy some maxipads and my daughter was with me and she commented loudly that "mommy is buying her diapers!"

Postby happyass » 19 Oct 2007, 13:53

mnmom you may also want to consider buying some palmers cocoa butter cream with vitamin e to help the skin tag. i used this to keep that skin tag/bump soft and healing and not dry and irritable.
good luck with the bump.
just remember some bumps are not as bad as other bumps.
:-) keep your thoughts positive.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74