Hi All

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi All

Postby mr_inconspicuous » 05 Feb 2015, 17:10

Hi all,

Really good to discover the forum, I've just joined so looking forward to reading everyones advice.

I'm a 32 year old male, I've been having toilet problems for the last 10 years. I've visited to the doctors over the years and have been prescribed the usual - suppositories, creams, stool softeners, change of diet but nothing really helped. Because I found my problem quite embarrassing I just put up with it - some days I was fine, others I wasn't.

It took a turn for the worse this week. While a trip to the toilet, I drew a lot of blood and the pain was on a different level compared to normal. I knew this wasn't right so I booked a doctors appointment for the following day. Later that evening, the pain was so bad that I didn't get any sleep and found myself lying in the bath at 4am to sooth the pain. The following day I needed the toilet again and was dreading it, once again, blood and pain. I went to the doctors in the afternoon and told them outright that I'd had enough of being messed around and how much this problem was ruining my life, he took an examination and found 2 fissures and 1 pile, he couldn't inspect inside because it was so sore and swollen. He prescribed me rectogesic and stool softeners. I am on the 2nd day of using the cream and still no signs of improvement yet, I am drinking plenty of water, prune juice, eating fruit and salads etc. I generally eat healthy so not sure whats triggered it off to this degree this week - I have been going to the gym recently, I have also been suffering with a cold/flu (not sure if this has made me dehydrated).

I just wondered what people think and what I should do? I've been annoyed with the doctors as they don't seem to take it seriously but also annoyed at myself for not sorting this problem sooner.
mr_inconspicuous

Topics: 2

Re: Hi All

Postby Jbl22424 » 06 Feb 2015, 00:48

Where are you located? You might want to consider LIS after suffering for 10 years. The creams and diet take weeks/months for improvement so you'll need to give it some time.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Scientist2516 » 06 Feb 2015, 15:32

The rectogesic could take a few weeks to make a difference, as jbl says. Healing without surgery takes a lot of time and patience.
You could ask your doctor for topical lidocaine for pain relief. Also, try ibuprofen - for me that wasn't 100% effective, but it took the edge off the pain and made it manageable.
Also try sitting on a warm hot water bottle or heat pad. I found that to be very soothing, and it also increases blood supply to the anus (which is one of the things the rectogesic is supposed to do). Baths are nice, but you can sit on a bottle for hours, and you can't lie in a bath for hours.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby mr_inconspicuous » 06 Feb 2015, 16:14

Thanks for the responses and advice. Today has been a lot more positive, I only had minor discomfort first thing this morning but pain free for the rest of the day (you realise how much you take for granted when you're healthy and well). I haven't been to the toilet today and it's now 9:20 in the evening - I'm quite glad as it will give me more time to heal without aggravating things. My problem was, was that I am fine I go back to my normal diet and old ways, I need to ensure I stick to a strict diet. Now to find my hot water bottle :)
mr_inconspicuous

Postby Scientist2516 » 06 Feb 2015, 18:14

So be aware that you could have a lot of ups and downs, and it may take a while to get your diet sorted and your stools consistently soft. Also find out what activity level you can manage, because overdoing things like lifting, bending etc can aggravate the fissures.
Don't get upset if you do really well for a while and then have a couple of days of pain again. It takes a long time, and set-backs are normal. Really depressing at the time, but hopefully they'll get fewer and fewer with time, and less severe too.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby mr_inconspicuous » 07 Feb 2015, 17:05

I've had a tough day today. I had BM this afternoon but after spending near enough 20 mins on the toilet I had to give up as nothing was happening apart from one small drop. Felt really down as my diet the last few days has basically consisted of fruit, veg and plenty of water. There was a tiny amount of blood and it caused discomfort for the rest of the day. I got home and decided to run a bath and I had another BM, this time I managed to go - not half as bad as I thought it would be, stool was soft but still very sore. I used a suppository which soothed the pain and took some painkillers.

I'd like to find out what my problem is, the doctor couldn't only examine externally but I'm worried I may have internal haemorrhoids too! Do I just continue taking the rectogesic or is there something I can help with the haemorrhoids. Do fissures cause great difficulty in actually going to the toilet? I thought it was just the skin tearing as it came out that was the issue. Why does it take rectogesic so long to kick in? What does it actually do? Apologies for all the questions but this week has been hell, I'm tempted to visit the walk in centre tomorrow to see another doctor.
mr_inconspicuous