hi, and thanks for listening...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

hi, and thanks for listening...

Postby Guest » 06 Oct 2007, 19:34

Hi everyone,
Thanks to you all for such a sharing experience! I have been on here for a couple of hours, reading lots of posts and really grateful that such a personal condition can be discussed openly.
I am a 48 yr old female, have had problems with a recurring fissure over the past 3 years. The pain at times (like this week) is almost unbearable. I practically live in my bath ( yes, soothing, but very temporary), i DREAD going for a BM constantly (especially if i'm away from home), my "routine " seem to take ages: Dabbing myself clean with loo paper ran under warm water, dabbing myself dry, applying ointment sometimes( have used GTN 0.2%) but sometimes can't stand the headaches it brings.
When i do have a BM i very often cry, the pain is nearly constant, with sleep (when you do manage to) often the only relief, as i'm sure you will all agree.
I have had lots of tests, loads of examinations, steroid injections, hypnotherapy (recommended by the hospital), my GP doesnt really know what to suggest next.
It is so very hard to talk to anyone about it, you cannot describe the pain , and of course, its a very personal thing to talk about!!
I hope i can come here again soon, thanks for your support and for listening, i will keep you updated of any helpful info i can get. I'm going back to my GP next week, i feel like i want to sit there and say " please do something to help me, or i'll end up being sent to a psychiatric place! (sorry, i know it probably doesnt seem dramatic to you all... we know the depth of the pain) i'm normally a positive person, truly, but this seems such a hard battle to fight!! Got to go, can't sit for much longer,
thanks again, and love to everyone x

Re: hi, and thanks for listening...

Postby mlsohm » 06 Oct 2007, 19:48

I'm sure others on here will have some good advice for you. I'm fairly new but I think you should see a CRS sounds like your GP has met his/her limit and should refer you. My advice is to get your fiber up and drink plenty of fluids. Also plenty of veges and fruit.
mlsohm
Salt Bather

Postby mlsohm » 06 Oct 2007, 20:06

Hi back again. I grind flax seed twice a day and take a fiber mixture of psyllium seed husk, oat fiber and wheat bran and also a stool softner twice a day. I get along fine if I watch my diet and don't eat alot of red meat and white flour products. I eat high omega 3 fish often. I've had AF for 10 months after getting an AF after getting my colon checked out. I think the doctor tore me when he did it or it screwed up my system and I tore with the first BM after that which was hard. Nobody told me that the first one would be hard after being put under for thd exam. I go easy on the grains but do have a little buckwheat and oatmeal often also.
mlsohm
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Oct 2007, 20:29

Tallulah,
ML is right, it is past time to see a CRS. You sound as if you are having a terrible time, indeed. I believe that in the UK is may be more difficult to get certain conservative therapies, like botox or a prescription for the two BP creams, either diltiazem or nefedipine....they seem to really help ease the pain and in some cases help to heal.
Your diet really is your first line of defense, as ML indicated. Cooked vegetables, and fruits, and water. Of course, you'll still need some grains and carbs and protein, but if you eat lots of meat, it may be time to cut back, and certainly eliminate junk foods.
Your goal is to get that stool soft, but not too soft, and stool softeners like colace or mirilax are important for that.
Never hold your BM, always go even though you may dread it more than anything on earth. Waiting will only make your pain levels skyrocket when you do go, as your stools will harden and really do more damage.
Read the various posts and it will become clear what steps you can take to at least ease the pain levels. LIS surgery is often seen as a last resort, however most people do fine. I had it almost a year ago and it gave me my life back, in less than a month I was back to normal, almost.
I hope i can come here again soon, thanks for your support and for listening, i will keep you updated of any helpful info i can get.
Come as often as you need, it why we're here!!
Good luck and if you just want to vent, or have specific questions, fire away!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 07 Oct 2007, 08:30

Hi,
I just wanted to welcome you and give you a hug and say we understand. I have been to the point that you are in with pain thinking I am going to lose my mind if someone doesn't help me with the pain. Pain feeds upon itself and can be very debilitating. I have lived with some kind of chronic pain (not all AF related, but butt related) for 5 years and it can wear you out. So it needs to be controlled. I really think you need to take some medication like ibuprofen. I find 800 mg 3 times a day to really help me cope. This is over the counter and I just take (4) 200 mg at a time. Just remember to take it with some food. I have also recommended ultram or tramadol which has been quite a long time so it may be available in the UK but it is a prescription.
There are a few other people here from the UK that are on Anoheal which is diltiazem. That is what helped me to heal from the fissure.
I think Kim and ML gave some great advice about diet and keeping the stools soft. I hope you can read up some more here but I know sitting is difficult. (I have a laptop and lie on my stomach in bed).
It will get better, slowly but surely.
Lecia

Postby Guest » 07 Oct 2007, 11:49

tallulahcc@ wrote:Hi everyone,
Thanks to you all for such a sharing experience! I have been on here for a couple of hours, reading lots of posts and really grateful that such a personal condition can be discussed openly.
I am a 48 yr old female, have had problems with a recurring fissure over the past 3 years. The pain at times (like this week) is almost unbearable. I practically live in my bath ( yes, soothing, but very temporary), i DREAD going for a BM constantly (especially if i'm away from home), my "routine " seem to take ages: Dabbing myself clean with loo paper ran under warm water, dabbing myself dry, applying ointment sometimes( have used GTN 0.2%) but sometimes can't stand the headaches it brings.
When i do have a BM i very often cry, the pain is nearly constant, with sleep (when you do manage to) often the only relief, as i'm sure you will all agree.
I have had lots of tests, loads of examinations, steroid injections, hypnotherapy (recommended by the hospital), my GP doesnt really know what to suggest next.
It is so very hard to talk to anyone about it, you cannot describe the pain , and of course, its a very personal thing to talk about!!
I hope i can come here again soon, thanks for your support and for listening, i will keep you updated of any helpful info i can get. I'm going back to my GP next week, i feel like i want to sit there and say " please do something to help me, or i'll end up being sent to a psychiatric place! (sorry, i know it probably doesnt seem dramatic to you all... we know the depth of the pain) i'm normally a positive person, truly, but this seems such a hard battle to fight!! Got to go, can't sit for much longer,
thanks again, and love to everyone x

Gosh, you sound like you've been through it.
It's awful when you're in pain, have you asked your GP for some stronger pain relief?
Mine just gave me a stronger version of ibuprofen but it doesn't really work for me. Apparently Tramadol is good.
I hope you get some relief soon x

Postby val » 07 Oct 2007, 14:19

Hi
I'm from the UK, and they are truly behind the times with dealing with this. I have been at the point where I truly didn't want to wake up the next morning, but Lecia gave me hope when she said tomorrow may be the day it gets better. Mine has been about 4 months and I'm slightly getting my life back, thanks to the anoheal and valium, which I take before bed, oh , and the dreaded diet of course, and lots of water.
Have you tried sitting on a hot water bottle? I also got a cushion with like a y shape cut out in a mobility shop, and that helps as well.
Iwish you well, this pain is the worst ever, but there is hope!
Val
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 07 Oct 2007, 14:57

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
I am so glad to hear that you are slowly regaining your life, Val. That really brings a smile to my face-I know you have been through so much.

Postby Guest » 07 Oct 2007, 15:32

thanks for all of your kind welcoming replies, and to my fellow uk sufferers! Have been to work today, trying to be sociable(i work in a grocery store)and all the time thinking of a nice warm bath!
I am a vegetarian and eat lots of veg, fruit, fibre, i have lactulose and fybogel if i need it, but im rarely constipated, in fact i went through a terrible phase of taking immodium a lot (without having diarea.. sorry can't spell it)! just to stop myself going loo, this i know now was stupid, but hey, we all know desperation, and sense took over.
Yes, in the uk, i was told by my GP and hospital that they would not try botox as (a) was supposedly unproven and (b)too expensive... "but aren't I worth it! i want to shout, ha.
I am going to GP on wednesday to beg for Diltiazem , he keep wanting me to have anti depressants which i am afraid of.
I just feel in a constant state of tears, and exhaustion! Thanks again all of you, i will report back in the week. Meanwhile its good to not feel alone , x x

Postby Guest » 07 Oct 2007, 15:38

Val, is the diltiazem in a cream form or tablets? Di you have any probs getting it on prescription?
I have tried a hot water bottle, nice, and also small ice pack, both temporarily numb the pain. Doc will only give me co codamol, but no more as he thinks i will get addicted! (my mum has been on them for 7 years for sciatica)!
Take care, keep smiling through x