Houston, we have a problem

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Houston, we have a problem

Postby small_flower » 24 Feb 2007, 16:07

Guys, I have a problem!
The past few days, Ive been going to the bathroom like...3 or 4 times within a relatively short period. The first time it will be normal, but as the day goes on it turns really runny and liquidy and it burns like crazy!!!
Its saturday, and if i call my surgeons office, most likely I will get a doctor who knows little about colo-rectal anything, so asking that person what to do wouldnt help much.
Can I take an anti-diarrheal??? Is that going to constipate me, or should I just wait this out, keep soaking in the tub...maybe eat a banana or two (i heard those stop you up a little bit).
I dont know what to do, but theres already blood on the toilet paper, and now im scared that I might've re-torn my fissure, already. I dont know really, I cant tell. What if I did????
Im scared Image
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Houston, we have a problem

Postby Cheryl » 24 Feb 2007, 18:40

Kate the same thing happened to me and the burning was quite painful. I worked out that this was from the laxatives.. are you taking those?
If so, stop taking them, increase your fibre, eat lots of fibery foods and dont drink too much water.
The idea is to get thicker fluffy stools so alter your diet and your supplements to suit.
Maybe your taking too much colace ?
Let us know how you go Image
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby happyass » 24 Feb 2007, 19:18

hi kate,
what cheryl makes sense.....
just stay calm.....
i am sure there will be moments where you may have some spotty bloody moments but it's all part of the healing process and i am sure that the liquidy stuff is part culprit.
although i am not bleeding, i am irritated down there and feel like i have disturbed fissure as it is a bit sensitive due to my liquidy like BMs at times...tomorrow will be my challenge when i do the big time laxatives...
the doctor told me that prior to having BMs tomorrow, that i should lube up with Palmers cocoa butter onmy anus to coat it before letting the runs come out....it will help protect....
perhaps, you can do a bit of protection too prior to releasing your BM.
if you are running a bit RUNNY, then yes, back off on the Over The counter/prescribed fiber/stool softeners but keep your natural/food fibers. reduce your water a little and perhaps sip some green tea.
good luck!
also, even though you are now using Charmin Freshmates, be sure to still be gentile and don't rub them into your anus....
another possible explanation is the use of the witch hazel.....so give yourself a few days to let your anus get supple and stretchy again.....but also try to coat your anus with some palmers cocoa butter after your shower and post-blow drying the butt!
lots of work...but it helps....
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Feb 2007, 21:55

Cheryl, is right...I wouldn't worry just yet. The SAME thing happened to me, too. It hasn't even been two weeks yet for you -- while you're young and strong and therefore physically bouncing back nicely, your fissure is still on the same healing timetable as the rest of humanity... The burn is normal (after a liquid BM) because your fissure hasn't healed yet. It HURTS but it probably stopped fairly quickly(?).

Over the next three-five weeks, as your fissure heals, it will become more impervious to any liquid, or mush, that might arise, and not burn. And if you're like the rest of us on the surgery-side of the board, it will heal right on schedule!Image

Something has given you the "runs" and it is probably a transitory, 24-36 hour thing. It could be something as simple as a cantalope, or other food that can easily cause diarrhea-like BMs. Stick with the bananas and other fibrous foods for now.

Hugh:sunny:
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 25 Feb 2007, 08:57

Hey Kate,
I went through a bout of this the other week and I know what you mean about burning-It is like a hot poker down there! I think when it gets runny you get residue that just coats that area and starts an anal fire!
Did you eat anything different, stop or start a medication, decrease or increase fiber, drink alcohol or anything? Maybe it is a stomach bug that will go away quickly!
I know stress can affect bms. Some people get the runs or if you are like me I get constipated. Are you worried about your student teaching?
I know hormone fluctations can do that too like PMS.
Hopefully, by the time you read this you will be feeling better. Try soaking in the tub through out the day. My doctor prescribed some lidocaine to use down there. Maybe that could get you through.
This is just temporary and you are healing. I know I got discouraged when this happened to me after feeling better for awhile but within a few days I felt better.
I just had a whole bunch of bleeding this am when I went after not having any bleeding for awhile so I know how it feels to feel like you have taken a step back but it will get better!
Lecia Image

Postby small_flower » 25 Feb 2007, 09:31

hi everyone,
The only thing I can think of, that may have caused this, is I just had milk for the first time since surgery yesterday. I didnt have it the day before, and I still had the runs, but it was oh so much worse yesterday, and I did. My body seems to be able to tolerate small amounts of dairy...parmesean cheese on pasta....butter on toast, but the milk is a problem I guess. I hope my lactose intolerance isnt back. I love ice cream and cheesecake too much! I guess I will just have to slowly reintroduce dairy into my diet, and see what happens. This will be hard though. I cant have this be an issue on monday since I'll be teaching. I guess the worst case scenario is that I end up leaving and going home, but I'd feel really bad about that if i did. So i want to try to avoid that situation all together.
It has stopped, for now. I called the doctors, and i had a general surgeon call me back. He said that I should stop my stool softeners, stay hydrated, not take anything, and it should pass. So far, he is right, but I am worried that my stools are going to be hard next time I go. I havent gone yet this morning, so time will tell I guess.
Thanks for all your help everone,
kate Image
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Feb 2007, 13:03

Milk...Image
Image ...a "major malfunction" of the anal space program!
At least for me it was!!!
If you have a fissure, milk is evil -- pure, sinister evil.:no:
It has the power to turn my masterpiece to mush, to create a burn that could only delight the devil!:no:
"Fear is the great mindkiller. Milk is the great ass-burner!!"
Stools of Dune, 1997
Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 25 Feb 2007, 13:14

Yeah, milk does the same thing to me! Does anyone have any good alternatives to ice cream? Do you think frozen yogurt would have the same effect?
Lecia

Postby small_flower » 25 Feb 2007, 14:01

Oh Lecia, while it may not be creamy in the same way, sorbet is the way to go. I love that stuff. Or toffuti, which isnt real ice cream, its actually made with tofu, but its REALLLY good and even creamier than regular ice cream in my opinion
xo
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 25 Feb 2007, 15:30

I will have to try sorbet-that is a good idea. I wonder if sherbert is made with milk. I will have to see if my grocery store has tofu ice-cream. They have a small health food section but the stuff has been in there for so long its all crystallized with ice because I guess I am one of the only people that buys some of this stuff! Image