How to prevent constipation while on antibiotics?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How to prevent constipation while on antibiotics?

Postby crimeofpassion » 27 Apr 2010, 18:49

I need some advice. I've been put on antibiotics, and will be on them for three months. Now, everyone knows antibiotics cause constipation. Although I had LIS last May, and a new colorectal surgeon I saw a number of times since said she couldn't see a fissure, I have all the symptoms of one, including a lot of pain in the surgeon incision site. I'm currently still using nitro cream, because I need some relief.
However, I'm worried. I had two harder stools yesterday and today, although that could be because I'm spotting heavily, and have been for a few weeks. For some reason my dang body isn't adjusting to my BCP (Seasonale). I was on them for years without a problem, went off, and when I went back on, started experiencing a lot of spotting, which I never had before. And its been over five months! Guh.
Anyway, I know you're supposed to eat yogurt while on antibiotics, so I'll do that, and I'll continue with my daily Miralax dose and 2 Citrucel tablets, but is there anything else I can do? Any advice/suggestions?
Might call my doctor and see if I can take probiotics at the same time, but I'm not sure.
Specifically, I'm on doxycycline hyclate, if that means anything to anyone. Image
Last edited by crimeofpassion on 27 Apr 2010, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: How to prevent constipation while on antibiotics?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 27 Apr 2010, 18:53

I would think the Miralax would be enough -- maybe just increase the dose temporarily?
If you're early on in the course of antibiotics, it might be good to give it a few days to see how they affect you first too. Sometimes the effects can change between diarrhea and constipation as they impact the flora in your intestines.
I got my fissure after being on three different antibiotics (Biaxin, Augmentin, and Avelox) for over a month. First they gave me bad diarrhea, then they made me constipated, and bam fissure time!
Also supposedly probiotic yogurts don't really do much for intestinal flora. All the literature I've seen suggests that probiotic pills are needed to get a concentration high enough to have any real impact Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby crimeofpassion » 27 Apr 2010, 18:57

Oh, God! Hearing that you go your fissure after being on antibiotics isn't good. Image
I'll try upping the Miralax dose slowly.
If the hard stools and/or constipation persist, I might have to tell my doctor this just isn't going to work.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby crimeofpassion » 30 Apr 2010, 08:03

Ugh, great.Diarrhea yesterday and today. My stomach feels funny, too. I guess I should have asked how to prevent diarrhea, not constipation. Image
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 30 Apr 2010, 10:58

Hey, yup unfortunately antibiotics can do that. I had crazy diarrhea for a few days followed by bad constipation. How's the fissure holding up?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby suzyljank » 02 May 2010, 20:28

Hi, I just finished 30 days on antibiotics and I noticed things were slowing up so I just adjusted my miralax a little bit. That's the nice thing about it, you can take a little less or a little more as you need. I also use acidophilus tablets, they seem to help too. Good luck. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby cherylk » 03 May 2010, 11:40

I think we should all invest $$ in the company that makes Miralax! But I have switched to the generic version at Walgreen's since it is cheaper, and we get a 20% discount on Walgreen's brand! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby crimeofpassion » 11 May 2010, 18:54

I was doing okay, but had a harder stool today and noticed a very small spot of blood. At least I think it was blood. I ate about four strawberries 20/30 minutes before I had a BM, but I don't think it could be from that...
I had my LIS last May, yet I still have all the pain symptoms and painless muscle spasms, using nitro cream to get some relief, and here I am today with blood. Saw a surgeon a bunch of times awhile ago and she kept telling me she couldn't see a fissure anywhere. And I can't go in to see her now because we have no insurance, and it would cost about $200 to have a scope exam. I'm studying abroad in the fall! Image
The problem is I can't have another LIS, period. The first one made things worse, not only with my fissure, but with my bladder and female pain issues. Now I get pain not only from the fissure that apparently isn't there (LOL), but also from the incision. It's just not an option. And I've been using nitro for years. :(
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby pinpin » 22 Oct 2013, 12:47

I know before all butt problems, when me or my kids were on antibiotics, we were taking special yogurt supplements with lactobactericides and some other bacteria cultures. This made us aside of contisipation problems
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby pinpin » 30 Nov 2013, 07:34

Probably someone has more experience in this?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good