Husband considering surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Husband considering surgery

Postby Guest » 16 May 2008, 05:21

Hello to all,
My husband was able to email his Doctor and this was his response:
if the pain is persisting it means that the fissure is not healing and you will require of a sphincterotomy. I am currently in the OR but I will be happy to schedule you for a sphincterotomy to release the pressure and pain. it is successful 80-90% of the time in relieving the pain. there is about 8% of long term fecal incontinence, mostly on females since they have a shorter anal canal. it is a comlpete outpatient procedure and you will be going home the same day. if you wish to do so, contact Christine at my office and she will book you at your convenience on my surgical schedule.
I hope this helps.
Best Regards,
JLG
Any feedback would be greatly apprecitated.
Thanks
Melissa

Re: Husband considering surgery

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 May 2008, 05:29

If he's young and healthy then he should do it and get his life back.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 May 2008, 05:42

Did you have it done?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 May 2008, 06:04

Yes I did and even though I had a rough recovery for a few days, I would do it again.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 May 2008, 06:08

I would assume at this point whether he has the surgery or if thing was to ever heal on its own he would be prone to fissures in the future?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 May 2008, 06:14

That is very likely. But if he has the surgery then he will heal more quickly and not have spasms.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 May 2008, 09:03

Although I must say he just started using Milk of Magnesia taking a teaspoon just prior to bed time and he said his movements have never been better! Do I dont know. But this has only been the last few mornings.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 May 2008, 09:04

Like me, if it doesn't heal, at some point he will decide he's had enough waiting for it to heal and he will get the LIS!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 May 2008, 09:10

Do they heal?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 May 2008, 09:15

Oh, yes they do, but once you go many months without that happening, the chances go down and down. A Chronic AF won't heal, while an acute AF does in a few weeks, so after LIS hopefully it never becomes chronic again.
Deleted User 5