Hypotension from fissure meds?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Hypotension from fissure meds?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Oct 2009, 10:48

Hey guys, this is mostly a question for those of you who have used either nitroglycerin or nifedipine for your fissure: has either one ever caused hypotension for you?
The reason I ask is, I've been taking Valium and either nitroglycerin or nifedipine (never both in the same day) for my fissure for a few months. I'm tapering off the Valium now though as it's beginning to be habit forming. So the Valium dose is pretty low at just 2.5 mg per day now. But even with that dose of Valium and either nitroglycerin or nifedipine, I've found that my blood pressure is taking a significant dip. It used to be at about 120/80 all the time but now it's around 97/65 every day.
This wouldn't concern me if it were asymptomatic, except lately I've been having some possible hypotension symptoms like fatigue and dizziness. I've also had bloody spit (probably from sinusitis which I'm prone to or teeth/gum problems), abdominal cramps (maybe/hopefully from Valium withdrawal or long term laxative use?), weight loss, and chest congestion, but those don't really worry me as much. I'm mostly concerned that I may be getting chronic hypotension from the nitroglycerin and/or nifedipine. I guess the bigger deal is that I just want to minimize the number of "health vultures" that I feel are circling over me :)
Has blood pressure ever been a problem for any of you fellow fissure sufferers out there? Did it resolve if/when you discontinued the topical ointments? I'm armed and dangerous with a blood pressure monitor and a healthy dose of paranoia so any feedback is most welcome.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Hypotension from fissure meds?

Postby cherylk » 07 Oct 2009, 20:54

No BP probs for me with the diliatizem.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: Hypotension from fissure meds?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 08 Oct 2009, 02:17

Thanks Cheryl, after your reply I checked the half life of both nitroglycerin and nifedipine, and it seems that both are too short to account for anything more than just a transient effect on blood pressure. Definitely not long enough to cause what I'm seeing, so the answer likely lies elsewhere. I'll have to look into other culprits.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45