It's been 2 1/2 months HELP!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

It's been 2 1/2 months HELP!

Postby utwally » 11 Jul 2009, 14:12

Here is the story: In late April I had a terrible BM (hard) and suddenly had alot of blood on TP and some in toilet. I tried to cope for a week and finally went to my PCP who sent me on to a RCS. He took one look and said I had a chronic AF w/ skin tag. Before the terrible BM I did have some discomfort and always some blood spotting on TP but I never felt bad. Anyway he told me surgery was the way to go. He said an LIS surgery would not hider me and that there is a high success rate. He said in two weeks everything would be back to normal. Well it is now two and a half months and I am in a real bad place. I still have pain in the AF area even though doc told me it was all healed up. The pain kind of comes and goes throughout the day and never disappears. On top of this I have been leaking. After I go to the bathroom in the morning I will wipe alot and go on. After 30 minutes or so I go back because of discomfort, I wipe, and I have feces. I have bulked up on fiber Konsyl and am now on cintracelle. I have changed my entire diet: no caffeine, no soft drinks, no junk food. Just eating healthy. I have lost 15 pounds and counting. I am in Grad school, I have a wife, and a one year old.
I have control of gas and really I have control when I need to have a BM. Meaning I don’t need to run to the toilet. So I have a colonoscopy scheduled this Wednesday with a GI doctor. I am scared and I feel like I’m on a roller coaster where my emotions are the highs and lows. Does anyone out there have advice or can relate to my story and give me some real hope? I think I just need extra time and the pain that has not gone away is related to me leaking problem. Anyway whoever runs this site thank you for keeping it going.
utwally

Topics: 1

Re: It's been 2 1/2 months HELP!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 13 Jul 2009, 06:54

I really can only suggest that you keep doing what you have been doing to treat the AF, diet, stool softeners, etc.
We always look for folks to heal after LIS but sometimes it takes a lot longer than the CRS suspects beforehand. Do continue also to take as many hot soaking baths as much as you can.
Having AF sure can be an emotional roller coaster and extremely draining, emotionally, too, something which only someone who has had it can attest to.
Hopefully the leaking will get better as your body adjusts to the "weaker" sphincter which should get stronger over time. Let us know how the colonoscopy turns out!
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 13 Jul 2009, 09:16

Kim runs this site and does a wonderful job!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby utwally » 14 Jul 2009, 07:23

Thanks Kim- It just helps to know others have been in a long recovery situation after LIS. I need to be strong. Hope is a powerful thing and you have given me some with your reply. I will let you know how the colonoscopy goes. Thanks again
utwally

Postby Deleted User 5 » 14 Jul 2009, 10:03

Just stay off your tail as much as possible and keep on the straight and narrow..butt problems aren't forever!
Deleted User 5

Postby pinky » 14 Jul 2009, 16:10

I can relate to the leaking problem.I had LIS almost 10months back and still leak a bit after BMs.It has slowly decreased and now its only a little bit but its irritating the bum and its more when the stools are too soft.i have to use the shower to wash it off and its quite annoying when i have 2-3 bms during the day as my shower is not working.it shud slowly settle down.try to apply a barrier cream on the bum so that it doesnt irritate the skin.

Hope the colonoscopy goes well
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby utwally » 18 Jul 2009, 14:14

Colonoscopy went well. No major problems! Doc said some people do take longer to recover from the LIS. So I am going to stay positive!!!!! pinky thanks for the reply. I am so glad yours has gotten better. I will keep the updates going. One day I will be one of these people who posts and proclaims I AM BACK. For anybody out there having a long recovery you are not alone.
utwally