Just joined

Need advice on how to reduce pain

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Just joined

Postby dhc » 21 Apr 2022, 20:52

Glad to hear you are having OKish days without retears. Could be a lot worse. I had a good day today, best in a long time. Saw my doctor. She confirmed that one of my fissures has healed which is good. The other one is still there and hurt like crazy when she touched it. Been two weeks since Botox. She wants me continue with psyillium powder and the Nifedipine with lidocaine ointment. I have not felt like that ointment has helped much if at all but going to keep using it. She never mentioned rectogesic. Wish I had read this earlier so I could have asked her. I am hoping that tomorrow will be as good as today. Having constant pain really affects quality of life. Glad I am retired and only working part time from home. Don't know how I would have coped with this if I had to go in to work each day.
dhc
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby dhc » 22 Apr 2022, 19:58

I think the botox is working. My pain level is quite a bit improved. Prior to this, I would rate the pain at an 8, where rupturing my achilles tendon rated a 5 or a 6. Now I think the pain is more like a 3 and, at times, a 4. So a big improvement. I have also followed a lot of advice that I got on this forum. Especially appreciate the advice about heat. It really is the only thing that relieves the pain. Ointments and tylenol have not helped much if at all. Continuing the psyllium powder. Thanks.
dhc
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby dmcff » 23 Apr 2022, 05:18

For the pain you could try an anti-convulsant like pregabalin. I take 600 mg per day and find that it helps to keep the pain at a manageable level. In fact, I have noticed that with time the pain is gradually receding, which is a big relief to me. By the way, I'd recommend pregabalin rather than gabapentin, which doctors often prescribe. Hope you can find a solution that works.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52