Let there be an end

Lis, lis again, abscess, and fistula?

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Let there be an end

Postby hopefulbutt » 25 Oct 2014, 07:40

Day 11. Thanks pafen. Gives me hope that others have gotten fistula and been healed from them. When my crs opened my abscess she didn't see one but I think it has opened since, or she missed it. Still having poo come out of the hole after I go bm. If I don't push on it to get it out, it just hurts all day. The swelling has gone down so much it's amazing- looks like I have a different butt. But if I have to have a seton put in, will it rip open my fissure again?! Only time will tell. Still having trouble with a harder bm than usual from the antibiotics. Hope it gets back to normal soon. On a good note, I went out of the house for the first time in almost 3 weeks last night- went to target and hobbled around for 20 minutes. Felt human!
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Postby hopefulbutt » 26 Oct 2014, 09:55

Day 12. Unfortunately the diarrhea is back. Not sure why. Almost never in my life do I have it so I am still chalking it up from my system being out of whack from all the antibiotics. Maybe I ate something bad yesterday? Abcess/hole thing still hurts after I go. Still thinking I have a fistula from the stuff coming out. Scared to leave the house in case I gotta go but gonna try and get out some today. Hem so much better I don't feel it. Fissure still healing over and draining some too. Poor butt. :poostick:
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby rockybalboa76 » 26 Oct 2014, 12:10

There is hope. Two years ago, I went through a similar ordeal and I'm now healed. Here's a couple thoughts that might help:
-Have you been on antibiotics recently? If so, the diarrhea you're constantly experiencing may be the result of C-Dif. In recent years, doctors have been overprescribing antibiotics and it's lead to a drastic increase in reported cases. When you take antibiotics, it kills the bad bacteria. It also kills the good bacteria. So, when you stop taking the antibiotics, the bad bacteria might start growing back and there's no good bacteria there to stop it. Your body tries to flush out this bad bacteria, hence the constant diarrhea. This is C-Dif. It's serious. And, if you suspect you have it, don't wait to get into your doctor. Go immediately to an urgent care. That's what I did. They had me take a stool sample. It was tested. It showed positive for C-Dif. They put me on the antibiotic FLAGYL (which kills C-Dif). As my Flagyl prescription came to an end, they had me start taking the super-probiotic VSL#3. It comes in packets that you keep refrigerated. It's far more powerful than anything like Culture-elle or yogurt. And it seemed to do the trick. Since then, I continue to take a Culturelle every morning and it appears to have helped with my digestion issues, too. Again, if you thinks it's C-Dif, don't waste time. Go immediately to an urgent care and take action.
-A general rule -- your CRS knows about rectal issues -- and not much else. If you're having issues outside that area of expertise, you should go see someone who deals with that different area. For example, if you're having digestive issues, you should see a digestive health expert like a gastroenterologist. Diet issues? See a dietitian. Etc.
-Another reason for the diarrhea, have you recently changed your diet drastically? At one point, I started adding healthy fats (like peanut butter and avocado). My body wasn't use to it. So, it began expelling it through diarrhea. I should've eased into the new diet. That's eventually what I did and the diarrhea went away.
-I had LIS surgery and developed an abscess. Stool began coming out of the abscess wound. My doctor didn't seem concerned about it. I'm guessing it's sort of common but, for some reason, they don't warn you about it. I was worried about infection from the stool. He didn't seem to concerned. Eventually, it did heal (It heals from the end of the tunnel inside you and heals its way outward) It took some time but it did heal.
-Anti-anxiety medication might be a good idea. It really worked for me. I saw a therapist to deal with the mental issues. She suggested it. I visited my primary care physician and he agreed. He prescribed CITALOPRAM (aka CELEXA) – Anti-anxiety medication. It takes a couple of weeks to get going but once it does, it really helps with mood and even digestion. It was kind of a turning point for me and I would highly suggest it.
-Hope all that helps. Keep fighting the good fight and remember, you will heal.
rockybalboa76
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby hopefulbutt » 26 Oct 2014, 17:42

Rocky! Thanks so much! My crs did mention cdiff so if I stil have the d tomorrow morning I will call asap. May I ask- did you get a fistula too? I guess I keep assuming it is since there is poo in the abscess area??? Have to go back to work soon and I'm worried about it all- any tips? I plan to take my wet wipes with me just in case I poo there and also to wipe off the nasty puss/mucus that seems to come out all day. May I ask how long for your abscess to heal? I think mine was pretty bad-when I woke from surgery crs said I was gonna hate her because the pain would be really bad for a few weeks- she cut the abscess hole bigger and said I pretty much will have pain of a hemorrhoidectomy.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby rockybalboa76 » 27 Oct 2014, 11:13

I’m glad that helped. When my CRS first examined my abscess, he said that I had a fistula tract but it looked superficial. Later, as he treated it, he kept saying he was trying to avoid the formation of a fistula. This was confusing. Did I have a fistula or not? He then said that a fistula is chronic and he couldn’t really tell if I had a fistula or not. He continued to treat it in the hopes that we wouldn’t have to head to surgery. He said that if I did have surgery for a fistula it would be painful but it wouldn’t be as painful as a fissure. (So, that was a small consolation). Eventually, the abscess wound did heal. I avoided the fistula and I didn’t have to get surgery.
After he cut me and drained my abscess, I took the following week off from work. It took about twenty seven weeks for the abscess wound to heal/close up and I was told that I didn’t have to come back for visits any more. (And remember, only part of those twenty seven weeks were a chore. The better it got, the less of a chore it became)
Regarding returning to work, here’s a few tips:
-Bring your own soft toilet paper – Toilet paper in office buildings is cheap, rough and scratchy. I was advised to bring my own and it helped. I carried it in a little, disposable plastic shopping bag. I kept it near my desk and when I needed to visit the restroom, I could just pick up, carry it through the halls and nobody was the wiser.
-In fact, I would bring a mirror, a light and a pair of disposable latex gloves to and put them in the bag, too. It helped with the BM routine.
-I always had a second pair of underwear on hand in case needed.
-I was told to avoid baby wipes or Tucks (which has witch hazel in it). My doc seemed to think both would irritate more than help. (I’m not sure what’s in wet wipes but it might cause more harm than good) If possible, it was better to use damp toilet paper and dab the area. Afterward, be sure to dab the area dry to avoid the growth of any more infection. If you can’t damp the toilet paper at work, fine. Just do what you can but definitely try to use some soft toilet paper.
-Standing at work – I was lucky. I was able to adjust my desk so that I could either stand or sit while working (I got a higher chair too to do this). To sit on, I brought a few pillows, one of those O-ring cushions for hemorrhoids and I went to Target and bought a couple of cushions for patio chairs (Their cushions are seasonal. You might want to try a hardware store). None of them were perfect but I could alternate between them and soldier through. If you can adjust your work station so you can stand and work it might help (Like tilting your monitor upward and putting your keyboard on a couple of shoe boxes). It worked for me and saved my rear a bit.
-Another possibility is to get some feminine pads and put them between the injury and your clothes. I was told to do this but it never really worked for me.
-Instead, I would buy gauzes, fold them up and put them over the area. This would catch any puss that came out and I could dispose of them easily and replace with new gauze.

-Also, I was on METRONIDAZOLE. It was another anti-biotic and I was told it helps with the healing of the fistula and it helps prevent C-Dif. Ask your doctor about it and see if this is true. FLAGYL helps fight against C-Dif, too.

-Remember. There is hope. You will heal. Don’t overthink it. Just take action and keep moving forward. You’ll get there.
rockybalboa76
Fibre Addict

Postby hopefulbutt » 28 Oct 2014, 09:53

Day 14. Thanks rocky for all the tips. Thanks for giving me a time frame too. Today had normal soft bm and the pain and burning is still bad after I go. What is most concerning to me is that I still must push around the abscess hole after I go to release poo- and a small ribbon of poo comes out. Is it from is fistula or just collecting in the abscess? I do not know. I go back to crs Thursday. On a completely different note and because this board is anonymous I have to say my private life is a quite the mess. My husband had a "moral failure" with another woman and because he was in leadership I have been asked to leave our church. I have no support but my mom and a close friend. I know all the stress has affected my healing and I am in such a dark place. I am thankful I can come here and type this. I wish I could run away from life. And if it wasn't for my son I would- just pack up and leave. Phew. Felt good to get that out. I'm not sure how or why I keep getting up in the morning.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby rockybalboa76 » 28 Oct 2014, 11:07

-Regarding the stool out the abscess hole, I had the same thing. What I'm about to say is a bit freaky but it does get better. I was told that my infection had created a tunnel between the inside of my anus and the outside of my skin. As stool would come out my anus, part of it would get side tracked and exit through the new tunnel and come out the abscess wound. In time, as the abscess began to heal, this tunnel closed. It healed from inside and healed its way outward. Once it was closed, the stool stopped coming out and everything got back to normal. This is something you should talk to your CRS about and perhaps they can give a better explanation.
-Regarding the personal issues, I am sorry to hear about that. Having a fissure is challenging enough. Having other issues placed on top of that just adds to the challenge. I would highly recommend seeing a therapist. It will help you work through all of your fissure issues and your personal issues. It's a way to recalibrate your mind and face this challenge from a place of strength. Do you have benefits through your work? If so, look to see if they have an EAP (Employee Assistance Program). It's designed for moments like this. With an EAP, you can get free therapy for eight sessions or so. I did it and it really helped. -Also, as previously mentioned, you may want to look into getting prescribed some anti-anxiety medication for a limited period. Again, the therapist recommended it. My primary physician agreed and it made all the difference.
-If this helps, here are the notes from my time with a therapist. Maybe you can find something useful in there:
THERAPY NOTES
-You need to do things to focus your mind elsewhere. Breathing deeply, repeating positive sayings, etc. really got me through it.
-Stress can inhibit healing. It tends to get localized in a particular body part and that body part gets worn out.
-I asked if my anxiety attacks might be the result of post-traumatic stress. She absolutely felt that was part of the issue.
-Breathing exercises are a good way to deal with anxiety
-I felt like I was forced to confront my own mortality. Everything seemed pointless.
-It felt like the child inside me had died. She told me that the child hasn’t died. It has gone into hiding. The adult had to take over because of the serious situation. Once I heal, the child will come out of hiding.
-You will heal. It’s not permanent.
FIND HARMONY
-I told her that I felt like a failure. She said that if anyone told me that I should point out that it’s DESTRUCTIVE THINKING
-There is positive and negative in everything. (Ex. It’s good I’m getting help – but it’s bad because it’s taking up time that I could use doing other things)
-I need to avoid focusing on the negative and restore the balance. Find the harmony.
CONTROLLED CONSCIOUSNESS
Whenever I feel that I’m focusing on the negative, I need to think of a positive event and replay it in my head from beginning to end. (Ex. I told her that I would imagine sitting on a beach or in my parent’s backyard)
ISOLATION
-I lived alone and it sounded like a majority of my issues came down to my isolation.
It makes me focus on myself and it creates a loop of negative thoughts. I become obsessed with things.
-Don’t isolate yourself. It’s important that you get involved with a group and don’t just connect with people on-line.
-You should meet with a group on a regular basis.
-Something that will be there week after week. Maybe a cooking class or a club of some type.
-She suggested volunteering at a nursing home and having a surrogate parent.
-DETACHMENT – When I’m in a group and I feel detached, this is me trying to protect myself. It’s part of the post traumatic stress and it will eventually correct itself

IF YOU FEEL SUICIDAL
-People feel suicidal because they feel overwhelmed
-If you feel suicidal, you should call 911
-Tell them that you’re suicidal and you need assistance.
-They will put you in contact with their PET Squad (Psychological Emergency Team)
-They will send an ambulance and take you to a psychiatric center and monitor you for 72 hours

-Suicide is a selfish thing to do. Don't hurt your loved ones. Get help if you're contemplating this. Things do get better.

IF YOU START TO FEEL BAD AGAIN:
-It’s important to recognize the bad thoughts and take action to steer your mind in a good direction as quickly as possible.
-When you have a bad thought, stop, breathe deeply and remind yourself there’s a lot of things in your life that are working
-Write, shoot and direct an image in your head where the future event that you’re worried about works out (I can have it right along with a script where it doesn’t work out but I need to also come up with one where it does work out)
-It is better to think of a positive memory, playing it from beginning to end or think of a desired outcome, playing it from beginning to end

ANTI-ANXIETY MEDICATION
-My therapist recommended visiting my primary care physician and asking for some anti-anxiety medication. I should tell him that I’m stressed and my therapist recommends I take something for my stress during this challenging time
-When I did visit my primary care physician, he agreed and put me on CITALOPRAM (aka CELEXA) – Anti-anxiety medication. It ended up making a huge difference and I wished I had been on it earlier.

-I told the therapist that some of the relaxation techniques that I had been doing weren’t working any more. She said that I’ve been traumatized. Of course some of my relaxation techniques won’t work any more because I’m exhausted. I should try some new ones.

-She said that I will get better. I shouldn’t think I’m foolish because I had hope for things that didn’t happen. That’s a self esteem thing.
-I need to build my self esteem and confidence. If someone tries to knock me, I need to stand my ground.
-Negative comments only get under your skin if you don’t have confidence in yourself.

-If I have anxiety about something, it’s because my gut detects an issue. If this happens, I should follow this routine:
-DETECT PROBLEM – DO SOMETHING TO CORRECT IT
-The quicker I can get to “do something to correct it” the less I’ll worry. Plus, just knowing that I’m going to do something to correct it will help reduce the worry.

-I NEED TO BE A FRIEND TO MYSELF – I am too hard on myself. I need to be a friend to myself and treat myself like a friend, instead of being harshly critical all the time.
-I should publicly celebrate my successes
-Although some people go the other way and celebrate themselves too much, I have gone the other way and have made myself invisible. I need to celebrate myself more.

-DOWN TIME – I need to schedule some down time each day so that I relax. It’s not good to be constantly in a hurry. I should set aside time each day to do this and read or watch TV or nap. This is part of being a friend to myself.
WHEN PEOPLE ASK ABOUT MY CONDITION
She said that it’s not appropriate to go into the details. I can just tell them that I’m healing and move on.
END OF THERAPY NOTES
Remember. You can’t control other people’s behavior. All you can do is control your own.
-Like I said, your CRS can't do everything and they aren't trained to do everything. Battling a fissure is more than just rectal issues. You need to be hitting it from all fronts. So, see a CRS. See a therapist and maybe see a dietician or a gastroenterologist if you're having weight loss or digestive issues.
I hope that helps. And this sounds crazy but watch “Rocky.” It really helped me.
Remember, like Rocky says, “It’s not how hard you hit. It’s how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That’s how winning’s done.”
There is hope. You will heal. You’re a tank. Don’t over think it. Take action and keep moving forward.
rockybalboa76
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 28 Oct 2014, 16:12

Hopefully butt.... I'm so sorry things aren't going very well for you... In all areas of your personal life.
Shame on the church for shunning you, when it was your husband who is at fault. :(
We are all here to listen to you... Wether it be bum related or not.

:smilyhug: :smilyhug: :smilyhug:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Rachael 1984 » 29 Oct 2014, 02:41

Hopefull.
I'm praying for you..... I'm so sorry things aren't good at the moment. It will get better. Great advice from Rocky. It made me cry... I will pray for you every day and you will get stronger. I'm sorry about the church too. Xxxxxxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Savaici » 31 Oct 2014, 20:15

Hopeful, we are all thinking of you. I go with what OMB said. And just to say we are always here for you. :smilyhug: :%`+:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222